Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 08:46   #681

I do believe that the "internet" has made this more of an issue than it really is.

Like everyone else here, I want my Glocks to run 100%, and ejection is definately part of that equation. But I don't think this issue is unique to recent Glock pistols.

A couple months back I purchased a one pin, 2nd Generation Glock 17. It took me awhile to get it out to the range, and when I did it flung nearly every case in the mag right in my face. This was a pistol that had all its original parts, and the ammo was WWB that worked perfectly in my G26 and G19.

After polishing extractors, exchanging them with old school non-mim versions, my Glocks seem to run best with the OEM parts. The ejection issues I have expierenced seem more to be ammo related. I know that's not everyones expierence, but to damn all Glocks - seems to be a bit extreme.

I recently shot an old 1911 that dropped every round on the top of my noggin, and some .25 autos that tossed rounds 25 feet ... no firearm is 100% - Murphy insures that, but Glock is about as close as it gets.

No, I have not been drinking cool-aid this morning!
Old 06-06-2012, 15:09   #682
Noponer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 153 View Post
I do believe that the "internet" has made this more of an issue than it really is........ No, I have not been drinking cool-aid this morning!
I have to agree. I have owned about 30 Glocks (9mm, .40 & .45 acp) over the past 20 years, including several years of USPSA & GSSF competition. I have had very few problems. I shoot mostly my own loads, but some factory stuff of varying power levels. A recent G26 did fail to extract some hot rounds (+p+); smoothing the extractor top & bottom fixed the problem.

A friend of mine had a Gen2 G17 about 20 years ago that was throwing rounds in his face; the factory fixed the problem for him. It's not a new thing.
Old 06-06-2012, 17:35   #683
az larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 153 View Post
The newer extractors have numbers on the base of the "post". They are supposed to be for mold identifaction, but maybe the numbers are more significent.
Both my 17L and G34 have the 2 on the post on the extractors they came with. Changing the ejectors got the rounds to go right instead of back. Somehow I doubt if a new extractor with the same lot number would make a difference.

That said I had already ordered 2 before checking and put them in my guns. If there is any change I'll report back this weekend. But I wish I checked before spending the money.

Last edited by az larry; 06-06-2012 at 17:36..
Old 06-06-2012, 17:38   #684
Backfire_Tx

Opinion of 1st time Glock owner - with ejection problem

2 months ago i got a gen 4 Glock 23 .40 cal. I am a new Glock guy, i have a .22 single six ruger but had not shot it in years.

Before i purchased the Glock - i research the forums and polled gun experts, watched you-tube and read books. Studied ballistics of gelatin tests and learned the difference between the temporary cavity and permanent destructive cavity volume. My decision on the Glock was not based on the beauty of the gun - it is ugly. I.E. see 1911 Kimber for contrast. It came down to if the Cops use the Glock 23 to stop criminals and save lives - that's good enough to protect myself and my family.

As a novice i took it out of the case, ran to the range and fired WWB ammo for the first time. Slowly fire 13 - emptied the mag, then did a rapid fire - kind of the same phenom I did when I got my drivers license for the 1st time and stomped on gas around the school bus - the same Rush! There is something about the gun, the plastic, the breakdown and ease of cleaning. But especially the power you have in your hand. 13 shots of .40 cal that can be emptied in seconds at a target - granted about 20% my 1st time out trying.

Yea there was an ejection issue about 15% of the time, but i was sent a new ejector by Glock and it fixed the problem. Big deal. The gun is a pleasure to shoot. I have been burning through rounds since i got the thing - a great diversion after a hard day working - the Glock 23 .40 is a pleasure to shoot. When my CHL comes in the mail it will be my daily carry.

Bottom line: New ejector fixes the problem. Knowing i have the same protection on my hip that a police officer does to defend his life is a good thing. Awesome weapon Folks. I need to get my wife a baby Glock 9mm for her purse. We live in nasty dangerous world. And where i live there is 6,000,000 people up the road from my home. If 1 out of a 1000 of that population is a predator looking for victims to rob, rape pillage or murder - that leaves 6000 of them on the look for you. Question: WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO CARRY? A Glock 23 13 shot .40 was my answer.

Last edited by Backfire_Tx; 06-06-2012 at 18:14..
Old 06-07-2012, 15:56   #685
harleygsb

I took delivery of a new G17 GEN3 two weeks ago. Out of the box, I experienced frequent jams and brass to the face, with three different brands of ammo. I shot about 300 rounds over two days.

I took the gun to Glockworx in Oxnard, CA (they just moved from Ventura). Real nice, helpful guys. Tech said ejection was very weak. He installed out a new Gen4 ejector for me. I went to the range at lunch today and put through 100 rounds. No more jams, but the brass spray was worse. It was flying everywhere, over my head, in the face, over my shoulder, every few rounds.

I am no gun tech and have no desire to work on it myself (and screw it up), so I called Glock and requested an RMA. I will let them (hopefully) figure it out and send it back when it works properly. I guess I will be without my gun for a month or so.

It is a sad commentary on Glock when you have issues like this out of the box, especially in light of the fact the problems are SO WIDESPREAD.

Harley
Old 06-07-2012, 18:15   #686
diamondd2

Hahahahaha. And you thought it was just the 9mm's.

I took my G21 Gen4 to the range today. 50rds of independence and 50 rds of blazer aluminum. The independence ejected fine. The Blazer gave me 3 casings to the head and 1 left.

Old 06-07-2012, 21:27   #687
cowboy1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by cciman View Post
Everyone seems to be complaining about "ejection' without quantifying what that is
I've qualified what I mean by weak/poor ejection over and over... even with specific video examples. It is NOT ammo or shooter related.
Old 06-09-2012, 12:59   #688
cowboy1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by English View Post
In essence, the cartridge case does not have time to fall out of position. The slide moves about 1 inch before the case hits the ejector and it travels at about 1.5fps. That lasts about 0.125 seconds and that is not time to fall enough to matter, especially since the case is held by the chamber for most of that time.
I'm not completely buying that since if you shoot a Glock with the mag out many times (most?) the empty case WILL fall down through the mag well. So obviously gravity is wanting to apply itself there and the only thing blocking it is the magazine follower or top round in the mag.

Last edited by cowboy1964; 06-09-2012 at 13:01..
Old 06-09-2012, 13:21   #689
2740dmx

I know this is not true for everyone who is experiencing ejection problems.......

but for me, it IS ammo related.

Went out shooting today (and this is also true for my last few range visits):
When I shot 115gr ammo from a Czech ammo company, my ejection was very weak, with some cases just dribbling out of the ejection port, a few to the head, etc...and it looked like I was shooting black powder, it was so dirty and smoky!

the Federal Wallyworld 115gr ammo was somewhat better, but still weak.....

Speer Lawman 115gr was decidedly better, with all cases clearing out nicely and to my right/rear.

All 124gr Speer Gold Dot ammo was super strong and in a nice pattern to my right/rear.

Everything ejected with no malfunctions, and that is what really matters to me! (had some early problems with FTF/FTFeed while "breaking in")

I know, I know, it ain't ammo related for everyone, but it is clearly ammo dependent for me, regarding the strength and pattern of casings ejecting from my G26 Gen4.
Old 06-09-2012, 13:29   #690
harleygsb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2740dmx View Post
I know this is not true for everyone who is experiencing ejection problems.......

When I shot 115gr ammo from a Czech ammo company, my ejection was very weak, with some cases just dribbling out of the ejection port, a few to the head, etc...and it looked like I was shooting black powder, it was so dirty and smoky!

Speer Lawman 115gr was decidedly better, with all cases clearing out nicely and to my right/rear.

All 124gr Speer Gold Dot ammo was super strong and in a nice pattern to my right/rear.

Everything ejected with no malfunctions, and that is what really matters to me! (had some early problems with FTF/FTFeed while "breaking in")

I know, I know, it ain't ammo related for everyone, but it is clearly ammo dependent for me, regarding the strength and pattern of casings ejecting from my G26 Gen4.

But shouldn't the gun shoot fine with just about any decent ammo? Glocks have the reputation for shooting about anything. I will be very disappointed if the solution to the issues with my G17 is to only buy premium ammo to use at the range.
Old 06-09-2012, 13:33   #691
2740dmx

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleygsb View Post
But shouldn't the gun shoot fine with just about any decent ammo? Glocks have the reputation for shooting about anything. I will be very disappointed if the solution to the issues with my G17 is to only buy premium ammo to use at the range.
I hear ya!
I have found that Speer Lawman is some excellent quality range ammo, and I like that, because I shoot Speer Gold Dot for defense ammo.........so I try to stick with 124gr Lawman and 124gr Gold Dot, and I get the exact same POI.

I left Sig behind when I discovered Glock.......but lately have been thinking back to a day when any range ammo was good enough for the Sig..........
Old 06-09-2012, 14:29   #692
az larry

Just got a Shield for a BUG, and it ejects like my old G19 does. Shouldnt be this hard to work it out on Glocks end.
Old 06-09-2012, 23:51   #693
dave109

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2740dmx View Post

The same is true for me. I thought my G17Gen4 might have problems based in my first firing.

The second time to the range my glock performed well with better quality ammo. Speer Lawman 115 grain performed good. So did American eagle 147 grain, but it felt like I was firing bowling balls and a bit slow.

Sellier and Bellot 115 grain seemed to be the best. Super quick with a noticeable snap and extremely accurate.

Also, I firmed up my grip and stopped limpwristing.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:53   #694
cowboy1964

I mainly shoot my own reloads (and they are not mild - meant to match Lawman 124gr), Lawman 124gr and occasionally JHPs like Gold Dot 124+P. I see very little or no difference in ejection. It's difficult to tell though because I am not shooting dozens or hundreds of JHPs but I do know I've seen bad ejections with the hotter stuff too. If I had to guess I'd say the reloads are *slightly* more problematic with ejection and I'm wondering if it's because generally the primer is usually flush with the case instead of recessed like new ammo is and this causes the case to not side as squarely on the breech face as it's ejected. However these reloads work perfectly with all other guns I have so....

Last edited by cowboy1964; 06-10-2012 at 12:55..
Old 06-10-2012, 13:12   #695
ak103k

I think the case rims are more an issue with the reloads than anything else, or at least that seems to be the case with mine.

Cases that have been loaded a lot, and have rims that show signs of the extractor chewing on them, seem to give more erratic ejection than those that are closer to new.

I still dont seem to have any issues with factory ammo as far as ejection goes. The only time I get beaned, is with reloads.

Zeitgeist - Addendum
Old 06-10-2012, 15:21   #696
tigman250

well, yesterday my order came in from Glock Parts, got a 9mm and .40 LWD extractor to try out. Seems the 9mm is the ticket for my Gen 3 34, ejection is still not strong but is very consistent now, all are landing about 4oclock, roughly 18" away from my foot. so for now it seems to be fixed, Ill keep my fingers crossed

This is really sad, seems like it's up to us to trouble shoot and figure this out. I have done more research on tuning pistol ejection than I care to admit, tried many different solutions, I have modified 4 different ejectors, two different extractors, experimented with spring rates (recoil and extractor springs) and countless other non permanent mods.....all at my expense, not to mention the 600+ rounds I have shot testing different fixes........ this is after Glock put in the 30274 ejector (they paid shipping both ways). I still believe that I have hit the "lucky combination" and my pistol truly is not fixed yet.....but it is tolerable.

600ish rounds $140
2 extractors $34
4 trigger housings w/ejector $40
2 RSA's $14
misc springs and bearings $15

total cost for my Glock almost $825...... now thats "perfection" for ya!Its going to be a while before this sour taste is out of my mouth, probably will not be looking at any Glocks until I am confident they have this sorted out
Old 06-10-2012, 15:25   #697
dusty_dragon

if i got you right, glock put the 30274 in a gen.3 trigger housing right?

just asking 'cause in another thread th OP wooried about using a 30274 in a gen. 3 trigger housing 'cause it puts more pressure on the top round in the mag (what's absolutely correct and true), but if glock does this "cure" in its factory, i think there is nothing to worry 'bout using a 30274 in a gen.3 trigger housing, even if it puts more pressure on the top round.
Old 06-10-2012, 15:37   #698
tigman250

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty_dragon View Post
if i got you right, glock put the 30274 in a gen.3 trigger housing right?

just asking 'cause in another thread th OP wooried about using a 30274 in a gen. 3 trigger housing 'cause it puts more pressure on the top round in the mag (what's absolutely correct and true), but if glock does this "cure" in its factory, i think there is nothing to worry 'bout using a 30274 in a gen.3 trigger housing, even if it puts more pressure on the top round.

yup, it came back from Glock with the 30274 ejector, ejection was better but still all over, the LWD extractor with the 30274 ejector seems to work in mine
Old 06-10-2012, 15:40   #699
dusty_dragon

thanks for the information.

how old is your glock 34 gen. 3, when was the production date?
Old 06-10-2012, 15:51   #700
tigman250

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty_dragon View Post
thanks for the information.

how old is your glock 34 gen. 3, when was the production date?

test fire date 1/31/12

Closed Thread