SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Closed Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 22:50   #741
PBone
Glock 21

I had a similar issue with my G21 a while back but it seems to have quit doing it.
Old 06-19-2012, 00:52   #742
dusty_dragon

@tmoore912:
thanks, that info would be great
Old 06-19-2012, 06:20   #743
3/4Flap

I started this thread but haven't posted here in ages.

Thought you deserved an update.

My extractor tuning on my G17 worked for some hundreds of rounds. Then I began to get brass to the face again. Then, my G19 started up at about 800-1000 rds or something like that. I shipped both guns to Glock, they did something to them they would not tell me {tho replacing the extractors was done on both guns for sure} and sent them back with 336 ejectors. They worked fine.

I sold them.

I am done with Glocks. I've never liked certain aspects of the guns design to be frank, and have no confidence that a purchase will not mean trouble, that is, with a new gun.

My G20 was a lemon that Glock replaced. My next two developed issues. Glock has been quite frank in recognizing the problems with their guns. Customer service has been helpful. It's not "Glock" I don't like. It's their guns I don't like.

Just my experience as I know there are many, many satisfied Glock owners.

There are, of course, other guns out there and I've found one new model I like very much and one oldie I have come to re-appreciate again.

Cheers.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:35   #744
alank2

Hi,

A bit of followup to my 3rd gen G19. My previous range session was a disaster with nearly 90% of the brass hitting my in the face/head/eye protection. I fully acknowledge that the reload I am shooting is soft by around 50fps.

So I'd have lots of stuff to try, I ordered a 15# and 17# reduced spring from Wolff along with a guide rod to try. I also brought along my old ejectors (before switching to the 30274), a couple of new extractors, and my Glock disassembly tool. I was ready for some piece and part swapping at the range!

But...the first thing I tried (15# spring) sent all the brass to the right and none in my face. I wouldn't say a nice little pile of brass, but probably 3 feet diameter pile 4 feet to the right and rear of the shooting position. So in my case, the issue seems to be ammo with not enough power vs. standard RSA is too heavy.

Thanks,

Alan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:41   #745
English

3/4Flap,
Thanks for the update. It is very sad - both for you and for Glock. I have never had any reliability problems with the 4 I have owned, though my first G20 (Gen 1) produced a fine embedded coating of brass on the ejection port and so was not ejecting properly even 16 years ago.

I do sympathise with your decision!

English
Old 06-19-2012, 07:07   #746
GThirtyTwo
Amor patriae

How many rounds have you fired through it?

"...to disarm the people - that was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." - George Mason
Old 06-19-2012, 07:07   #747
3/4Flap

alank2; What are the actual chronographed velocities of the loads you are shooting?

English; thanks very much but guns mean little to me tho I use them a lot and enjoy them as entertainment, too. They are fascinating tools and devices.

I know we are all told Glocks are the best, and maybe they are for some, but even when working right some of their design features became so annoying to me I do not miss them at all.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:16   #748
alank2

Hi 3/4Flap,

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3/4Flap View Post
alank2; What are the actual chronographed velocities of the loads you are shooting?
.355 Precision FMJ 147gr
Winchester WSF 4.0gr
Remington Brass 1F
SP CCI 500
oal 1.130

Avg Vel. 892 fps
SD 4 fps
ES 14 fps
temp 70 deg F
samples 10
pistol G19

I probably need to up this a bit, but it is a nice soft shooting load...

Thanks,

Alan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:34   #749
hearsedriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by alank2 View Post
Hi,

A bit of followup to my 3rd gen G19. My previous range session was a disaster with nearly 90% of the brass hitting my in the face/head/eye protection. I fully acknowledge that the reload I am shooting is soft by around 50fps.

So I'd have lots of stuff to try, I ordered a 15# and 17# reduced spring from Wolff along with a guide rod to try. I also brought along my old ejectors (before switching to the 30274), a couple of new extractors, and my Glock disassembly tool. I was ready for some piece and part swapping at the range!

But...the first thing I tried (15# spring) sent all the brass to the right and none in my face. I wouldn't say a nice little pile of brass, but probably 3 feet diameter pile 4 feet to the right and rear of the shooting position. So in my case, the issue seems to be ammo with not enough power vs. standard RSA is too heavy.

Thanks,

Alan

I recently bought a new HK P30L and, HK recommended a hotter load for the first 200-400 rounds for break-in due to the stiff recoil spring (anything above 115 gr.) . I used 124 gr. Lawman for the first 100 rounds and it ejected strong to the right. I then switch to my usual .115 gr. target load and the brass just dribbled out of the slide. After another 120 or so rounds of the Lawman, I switched back to my 115 gr. ammo and it ejects strong now. So, I can see how switching the stock Glock recoil spring to a lighter one would help with ejection of light loads. Just another piece of the puzzle.............
Old 06-19-2012, 07:39   #750
3/4Flap

alank2;

That is not a gross underload with a G19, especially with an ES of 14 fps.

Should work, but we have been told all sorts of things about ammo and Glocks over the past few years that I've done my best {insignificant} to squelch.

My G17 averaged about 30 fps over my 19 and my 17 "L" barrel about 35 more.

Don't start thinking that a Glock is allowed to be more finicky than a Luger.

{PS: My old Luger functioned with everything.}

I truly believe it is high time shooters en masse hold Glock's feet to the fire and expect from Glock what Glock gave to the shooting world for many years, excellent performance. The BTF troubles are not "internet hype", they are real. And with enough pressure {lost sales, complaints, returned guns, etc} Glock will come around.

They are advancing an old design {I didn't say "obsolete"} into a new world, and likely have on their drawing tables {computers!} a few advanced designs they have to date had no reason to produce and maybe trying to fix problems that don't exist and causing a few on the way.

I remember the days o this forum when anyone who complained of BTF was condemned by the "experts". We all do. Nonsense then and nonsense now. Glock needs to wise up and at least in my case they did and fixed their problems. But those problems should never have been, and certainly shouldn't continue. They readily admitted to me they had problems, but I suspect they do not want to make a recall or public acknowledgement for fear of the marketing repercussions, cost to update, etc.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:03   #751
AquaHull

My Gen 3 G19 PCZ***, started throwing brass to the face, Glock sent me an updated extractor thru an armorer.
I installed, shot a mag thru it and SOLD it within 24 hours.

I had learned about wasting ammo on something that won't run right with Taurus PT709's(that's right plural) and a KT-PF9.
Sell it and buy an older Glock.

My GU?*** G19 works just fine

Last edited by AquaHull; 06-19-2012 at 08:03..
Old 06-19-2012, 08:11   #752
alank2

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by hearsedriver View Post
I switched back to my 115 gr. ammo and it ejects strong now. So, I can see how switching the stock Glock recoil spring to a lighter one would help with ejection of light loads. Just another piece of the puzzle.............
The Glock RSA I am using was new and has only seen a hundred rounds so this could very well be the issue. I wonder if I did the slide locked back for a week thing is that would weaken it a bit, I may try that just to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3/4Flap View Post
alank2;That is not a gross underload with a G19, especially with an ES of 14 fps.
It is a nice consistent load, but just a bit light. I would imagine that there is a window that works well and it would be nicer if that window were a bit wider. Other 9mm's I've tried this load in have no issues with it (SP-01, PM9).

Thanks,

Alan

Old 06-19-2012, 08:14   #753
DannyR

FWIW, Federal Champion 115-gr 9mm ammo is the weakest ammo presently being sold. Try some Speer Lawman 115-gr.
Bull Dawg #1

Old 06-19-2012, 08:28   #754
Chip62

My Gen 4 19 functions fine, but ejection is all over the place with Winchester Nato ammo. Not weak ammo. After buying a Lonewolf extractor, ejection was worse. So I fixed my problem, I bought a hat. I'll keep carrying my Ruger LCR for CCW.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:20   #755
USAFgoober

What could be the reason behind these recent problems with Glock? I've heard that in the last several years they've been behind on making enough guns to meet the growing demand out there. Could it be that they just let their quality control take a dip in order to rush production?

BTW I own a Gen4 G23 with April '12 test date. Its flawless and my favorite handgun that I currently own. But its sad to see one of my favorite manufacturer's allowing this crap to continue

Last edited by USAFgoober; 06-19-2012 at 09:21..
Old 06-19-2012, 09:35   #756
AA#5

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFgoober View Post
What could be the reason behind these recent problems with Glock? I've heard that in the last several years they've been behind on making enough guns to meet the growing demand out there. Could it be that they just let their quality control take a dip in order to rush production?

BTW I own a Gen4 G23 with April '12 test date. Its flawless and my favorite handgun that I currently own. But its sad to see one of my favorite manufacturer's allowing this crap to continue
I think Glock did it to cut manufacturing costs.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:48   #757
greyeyezz

Wonder why 357's don't have this problem?
Old 06-19-2012, 10:06   #758
bam1131

I guess I'm lucky that my gen4 17 has never pelted me in the head with brass. I would really love to hear from Glock as to how many guns are having these issues. A percentage would be nice. I guess I'll stick with the .40 Glocks now. I shoot my 23 better than my 17 anyway. I know.. it doesn't make any sense.
"Some of the most Ďzení time Iíve ever had has been with a gun. No daydreaming, no juggling 30 things in a multi-tasking frenzy, no dwelling on the past or worrying about the future. Itís just one thing, and itís just right now. It forces you to live in the present"
Old 06-19-2012, 10:30   #759
SuperSport

Well, I was hell bent on getting a G23 gen 4 but those have chimed in not happy has me second guessing. I absolutely enjoy my gen 2 19 & 26 and thought maybe adding a different caliber would give me some options if ammo gets scarce. Now I don't know. Like The Clash song goes: Should I stay or should I go?

Last edited by SuperSport; 06-19-2012 at 10:31..
Old 06-19-2012, 10:40   #760
TxGlock9
2014 RACE TIME!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSport View Post
Well, I was hell bent on getting a G23 gen 4 but those have chimed in not happy has me second guessing. I absolutely enjoy my gen 2 19 & 26 and thought maybe adding a different caliber would give me some options if ammo gets scarce. Now I don't know. Like The Clash song goes: Should I stay or should I go?
The gen4 23 is the least of your worries. The ejection on mine was at least 10feet @ 4 o'clock.

Closed Thread