SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 13:34   #121
dusty_dragon

@bentbiker:
thanks a lot, now i know what "dip" means and refers to.

does the older NON-dip extractor perform better than the newer "dipped exctractor"?

where all the NON dip extractors also always NON LCI extractors, or can there be dipped NON LCI extractors also?

@ken:
got my NON-LCI extractors directly from glock, ordered especially NON-LCI ones, otherwise they would have shipped me the newer LCI-ones!
complete with spring plunger and bearing, changed that all, i also installed s .40 ejector , those parts solved the prob.

Last edited by dusty_dragon; 02-23-2012 at 13:39..
Old 02-23-2012, 13:45   #122
3/4Flap

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondd2 View Post
Probably because the slides are actually out of spec.
I've stated this very thing before.

The slide could be out of spec in any of the machined areas OR...depending on the hardness of the extractor and slide , could be brought out of spec by longterm use of an out-of-spec extractor.

For example, Dave noted that "Armorers" should observe the pad on the inside of the extractor as an adjustable seat that can be reduced to correct malfunctions. Indeed, if the SLIDE itself is o-o-s in the first place, the pad might have to be reduced immediately.

Then there is the inside of the extractor slot. Are the slides o-o-s? I don't know.

I agree that monkeying with the slide is a bad job, and should be avoided. Better to fiddle with a cheap part like the extractor.

As you stated, IF the slides are cattywampus, well, Herr Glock has viele Probleme and for sure doesn't want to replace them.

I'm still guessing it is Glock's learning curve on MIM or a poor job by a MIM subcontractor who is no doubt being educated as to the error of his ways by Glock right now, but who knows.

Monkey away, guys, and see if it works.

If it doesn't, well, just buy another piece of crap extractor from der Führer and put up with mediocrity.

By the way, when I started on mine, I had a couple/three shiney high spots like the noponer spots pictured above. Not No Mo.
Old 02-23-2012, 15:44   #123
ken grant

Parts list from Glock. No more NON-LCI extractors,use LCI instead
Old 02-23-2012, 15:53   #124
William Springer

Awsome problem solving

Well Kudos to all,and thank you to Dave , 3/4 Flap & Terry C for those fine pictures, it just go's to show we all belong to a good site. I wanted to point out a couple things to be aware of. 1. the point here is that although this can be a problem and cure for it. It is not cast in stone and you may be having a similar problem but rather in more than just this one area, you need to review all of your contact points and look specifically at the wear marks Terry C."s pictures show a good reference to dressing a suspected area in need of attention I go a little further with polishing the sharp edges left after this dressing as I have had experience where this can cause an increase in friction on the part I am trying to relieve this from, also your particular part may show signs of adjustment needed in more than just one area. each case or part is individual and requires a close inspection. What has worked for me might not work for you especially if there is a definite malfunction in that given area. Be aware that any modifications exhibit a different movement and will react to possibly changing wear areas on other items, they may show up immediately or at any time thereafter, just reinspect if you develop problems in a different area and use those problem solving skills from past experience. 2. unless you are quite experienced and knowledgeable do not alter the hook on the extractor it is very exacting and minute changes make drastic changes in its ability to function just like a trigger sear.The same is true with altering the extractor hook angle which will happen when you change its stopping point, as in increasing final drop in relationship to the breach block face.Greater drop dose not mean greater grip, for more gun smithing info go to the Armory section forums at GT under Gun smithing
Old 02-23-2012, 16:16   #125
dusty_dragon

@ken:
i'm sad to hear that, got my NON-LCIs some years ago, 3-4 if i remember correctly.

Last edited by dusty_dragon; 02-23-2012 at 18:51..
Old 02-23-2012, 16:47   #126
High Altitude

Bottom line, no one knows but glock and they aren't talking.
Old 02-29-2012, 20:30   #127
MinnMark

I find it odd that this thread has already been buried down to page 10 of General Glocking. This is only my third or fourth post, and as such, I have little or no credibility, so take this as you wish. I have been shooting a late # Gen 3 G34 since last summer with zero problems, and a late # Gen 3 G19 since the fall. The G19 has been having erratic ejection issues something like 20-30% of the time (forehead, top of head, left, and occasional stovepipes) since new. I had been waiting for the dust to settle before looking into a permanent fix, but I believe that Dave Nowlin's fix is good enough to get me using the G19 from here forward.

I have taken it out 3 times in the past week and a half after doing the work, and out of 150 rounds, none have ejected in a position away from 4 o'clock. Almost all shells have been hitting the lane divider wall just past my right shoulder. I have specifically asked my shooting partner to pay attention. I had it apart to install a Ghost Rocket connector, extended mag release, and extended slide stop lever. I also did a 25 cent trigger job. While I had it apart, I took out the extractor, and smoothed both the upper and bottom face with a small jeweler's file about the size of a small emory board. I did not even remove enough material to remove all of the black, I just smoothed some of the irregular high spots that showed wear. I also polished the post, removing all the black, but no additional material. I left the claw alone, and left the stepped area alone also. It now shoots very well. I am very happy with the trigger feel by the way also. Thanks a lot Dave!
Old 03-01-2012, 04:03   #128
dusty_dragon

dear minnmark:
so you did just polish the extractor top and bottom and filed the little knob on the inside of the extractor to give it more/longer contact to the spent brass while extracting it? or what else exactly did you do to solve your problem?

best regards
dusty
Old 03-01-2012, 06:39   #129
MinnMark

dusty_dragon, I dragged a very small, fine, flat file across the top and bottom faces of the extractor very lightly. If you have shot your pistol a lot you should be able to see some brighter worn areas as shown in some photos in other threads. It is easily done because the surfaces are flat. I really just removed some of the blackened finish, but not close to all of the black finish on these surfaces. I just smoothed out some very small irregularities. I then used a Dremmel polishing wheel to remove the black surface finish from the small tapered cylindrical post. A Dremmel polishing wheel removes the black surface treatment very easily and does no damage. I would be afraid that using a file for this post would be difficult since it is a small curved surface and you might quickly remove too much material, or cause some flat spots on the cylinder. I did not do anything to the claw. I think by doing this, it just allows the extractor to move more freely and do it's job. The surface imperfections probably were causing unwanted friction preventing the spring tension on the extractor to push the claw in to grab the shell effectively every time.

Mark
Old 03-01-2012, 06:51   #130
dusty_dragon

thanks a lot for the info
Old 03-01-2012, 16:11   #131
CVN76

Thanks for posting all this information, but wow, on two new guns: first I swap out the RSA, then I learn Glock has a redesigned the Gen 4 ejectors and I am getting that work done, and now today I read also the extractor needs work? I bought these thinking they would be the most reliable guns around; so far it has been a little frustrating.
Old 03-01-2012, 19:01   #132
Dave Nowlin
Fisher of Men

They are fine once you work the bugs out. Many things today have bugs in them when you buy. Microsoft is constantly updating their software as it is never fully developed when released. Americans demand cheap prices in the marketplace. So we must buy mass produced guns. Some of them need just a little tuning to make them right, that is unless brass hitting you in the face is no big deal. Some have claimed it isn't a big deal and maybe the brass hitting them in the face is making improvements. Who knows?

Last edited by Dave Nowlin; 03-01-2012 at 19:02..
Old 03-01-2012, 21:44   #133
RockyMtnG20
NRA Life Member

Send a message via AIM to RockyMtnG20
My buddy's new Gen 4 G22 is also plagued with erratic ejecting brass. Guess there isn't much chance of it fixing itself with more rounds going through it?
Old 03-01-2012, 22:15   #134
glocktecher

Sitting here trying the best I can to figure out why Glock does not fix the problem coming out of the factory?

Guess I am just old fashioned and goofy that way.

Last edited by glocktecher; 03-01-2012 at 22:16..
Old 03-01-2012, 23:47   #135
Dave Nowlin
Fisher of Men

How many Colt 1911s were sold that needed the extractor tuned. If you know much about 1911s you will realize a whole industry has grown up to make them what they should have been. An ex-boss of mine sent me home from the office with a 1911 he had bought from a Navy Chief Petty Officer in the past. My boss had been a Naval Aviator. He said the gun didn't function right and asked me to look at it and see if I could fix it. Actually all it needed was a new recoil spring. I did some checking while I had it and found it was built between World War I and World War II. The gun was much tighter fitted up than any new 1991 form Colt I had ever seen. I took it apart and the rails hadn't been peened or anything else extraordinary done to it. The sights on it were tiny and inadequate, but it still shot well. All the model 70 & 80 Colts I ever saw were very loose and needed some work to reach their potential. That market created companies like Kimber & the Custom Springfields, Wilsons, Ed Browns, Les Baers and so on.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:42   #136
lawboy

While I am not seeing malfunctions with my Gen 3 G19, I do get occasional brass to the head and face. At present, I have the old ejector and LCI extractor.

The extractor drops freely when doing a detail strip and pressing on the striker block. That being the case, should I attempt filing the top and bottom of the extractor, since it already drops freely?

Last edited by lawboy; 03-02-2012 at 10:42..
Old 03-02-2012, 10:49   #137
M&P15T
Beard One

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawboy View Post
While I am not seeing malfunctions with my Gen 3 G19, I do get occasional brass to the head and face. At present, I have the old ejector and LCI extractor.

The extractor drops freely when doing a detail strip and pressing on the striker block. That being the case, should I attempt filing the top and bottom of the extractor, since it already drops freely?
Have you read this entire thread in detail? There's more to the modifications/polishing than just "filing the top and bottom" of your extractor.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:55   #138
lawboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&P15T View Post
Have you read this entire thread in detail? There's more to the modifications/polishing than just "filing the top and bottom" of your extractor.
I have, but I am trying to do one thing at a time and check the results after each mod. With the extractor falling freely from the slide already, I was just curious as to whether this step should be skipped.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:57   #139
M&P15T
Beard One

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawboy View Post
I have, but I am trying to do one thing at a time and check the results after each mod. With the extractor falling freely from the slide already, I was just curious as to whether this step should be skipped.
I would think your next step is to stone/polish off a slight ammount of material where the extractor hits the frame. You'll have to go back through the thread to see the pictures to see what I'm talking about.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:45   #140
ballr4lyf

This is great stuff, but I'm not comfortable performing this type of work.

Does anybody know of a place where I can purchase an extractor that is already within the correct specs? Of all my family, friends, and coworkers I am the "gun guy", so I don't have anybody that I can trust to do this work for me.

Closed Thread