SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-24-2012, 19:08   #1
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Power Bond Bullets

I did a little research on Power Bond bullets. They are a plated bullet but can, allegedly, be driven faster than those from Berry's and Rainier. They reportedly have thicker/stronger plating and use regular jacketed bullet data rather than the usual reductions.

I am going to order a box of 500 to try. Having loaded a few thousand Berry's, I have always been frustrated in the speed limit of the bullets. Thought I would give these a try and report back. Looking for range/IDPA loads in the 1150 fps range with a good dose of 1200s as well.

A box of 180 fp jacketed is $63 shipped. A good but not great price.

I sent a note to them about load data. Here is the reply:
I recommend using jacketed data as long as the velocities do dot stretch past 1300fps and if you are shooting a lot creating a hot barrel I would not shoot them even that fast. our plating is better than out competition but it has its limitations, I think you will enjoy them.

http://powerbondbullets.com/products.html
Taterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 00:18   #2
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Update.

I received my small order of 500 180 grain fp bullets. It was $63 including shiping.

My initial impressions are that they appear to be of very high quality. I am very impressed thus far. The finish looks very similar to Speer bullets. On the other hand, Berry's bullets sort of look like they have a tiny film of copper. The Power Bond bullets look more like a jacketed bullet with a very nice finish. I was considering posting some photos, but they look just like the images on the website (link in the post above).

I weighed 5. They were all within 0.4 grains of 180. By comparison, a random sample of 5 180 gr XTPs had variances up to 0.5 grains. So good indications of consistency.

I am loading up some charges between 1100 and 1200 fps and see how they run. I am hoping to see better groups at those velocities than I get with Berry's.

I am heading to the range in the AM. It is going to be a busy day. I have some long range rifle stuff. We are testing a new camera on a long range gong. That will help to call hits from a mile away . I intend to get to the pistol pits as well so I should be able to follow up with a range report tomorrow. If all goes well (groups, etc.), I intend to stretch the legs on them a bit and boost the speeds.

I have been looking at switching to Montana Gold bullets, but the Power Bond prices are better. If they function well in that IDPA/range strength slot, I might have found a winner for a high-volume bullet. I have used a lot of Berry's, but I have not been able to get consitent results above 1050 or 1100 fps.

I will let you all know how it goes.
Old 03-03-2012, 16:38   #3
Yondering

Thanks for the report, it will be interesting to see how they do. I've used the Rainier plated bullets but like you, was disappointed in them, even in the .40. Any chance you could pinch/crush one with some sidecutter pliers, to get an idea how thick the jacket is?

I get Montana Gold bullets from the local gun shop, and like them, but these look interesting too. FWIW, I'm getting the MG's for about $12/100 depending on weight & caliber, which is comparable to the Power Bond prices.
Yondering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 19:53   #4
Taterhead
Counting Beans

I think we have a winner...

So far...

The loads I worked up did not get quite to 1200 fps. They ranged between about 1100 fps and 1175 fps. I shot a totaly of 50. I was using Accurate No. 9 and groups actually got better with velocity. That might be a function of pressures tightening up into the zone for A9. My first groups were admittedly off a bit after transitioning from my Remington 700 trigger that I had been shooting a few minutes before.

At 1175 fps a 10 shot group was contained within 2.5" except for one flier that was my fault. A lot of you shoot better than me, but that is a pretty decent 10 shot group for me @ 15 yards.

Absolutlely no indication of tumbling or instability. I purposely shot these strings with a filthy gun that had not been cleaned in a while. To be sure, I shot some lower-powered Blue Dot loads so the chamber and barrel were filled with sooty gunk galore. I wanted to have less-than-optimal contitions. It has been a few hundred rounds between cleaning the big 20.

With a clean barrel and summer temps, the loads would probably run above 1200 (13.6 grains A9, CCI 300, 1.25" COL).

Granted, 1175 is not too fast. However, I am very confident that these can be pushed faster with no issues. They truly grouped like jacketed bullets. The same cannot be said about Berry's above 1100 fps - at least in my experience.

To answer Yondering's question above, I do not know what sidecutter pliers are. However, squeezing the bullets at the tip of a big set of regular pliers was unable to reveal lead. It was only when squeezing with the bigger teeth closer to the fulcrum was I able to uncover lead - and it was deeper than I expected. I also squeezehd them at an angle to try to "lift" some copper from the side. I was unable to scrape to led with the pliers

Lastly, case expansion @ 1175 fps was a maximum of .432". Very modest for my G20 barrel. I see no reason to doubt the manufacturer claims of it being appropriate to use regular jacketed data.

The 1175 fps load is going to be a good range/volume load. When I get a chance, I wll work up to higher velocities just to see how they run.

So far so good. They seem to be good quality, consistency of weight, and no problems at all with stepped up velocities compared to Berry's plated.
Old 03-05-2012, 19:36   #5
mogunr

Would you choose these over Precision Delta Jacketed?
Old 03-05-2012, 19:44   #6
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogunr View Post
Would you choose these over Precision Delta Jacketed?
I haven't used the PD bullets. I haven't heard of any problems though. Personally I prefer to shoot bullets without an exposed lead base, so the PB bullets get the nod... for now.

It will probably be a couple of weeks, but I intend to bump velocities into the 1200s to see how the PowerBond bullets run. If they perform as well at those speeds, I will stick with them.

I forgot to mention in my earlier post that I seated these to 1.25". I had best results with Berry's when seating them to 1.26" to prevent disturbing the plating. Some guns like a shorter COL, so the 1.25" length would be better in that regard.
Old 03-05-2012, 19:53   #7
mogunr

I'm looking to buy some bullets that will get me into the full power catagory. Not nuclear but faster than you would run plated bullets. That's why I'm thinking jacketed like PD or MG.
The price looks better on the PD but if the PBs can be run at jacketed velocities I'd go with them. I dunno maybe buy 500 of each.
Old 03-05-2012, 21:54   #8
Yondering

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogunr View Post
I'm looking to buy some bullets that will get me into the full power catagory. ... That's why I'm thinking jacketed like PD or MG.
The MG are a pretty safe bet for easy full power loads. I really like the accuracy of their 155gr HP, and I'm pushing them over 1600 fps with no bullet issues. Funny though, I can get them cheaper, by the 100, from my local dealer, than by the 1000 from Montana Gold.
Old 03-05-2012, 23:54   #9
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yondering View Post
The MG are a pretty safe bet for easy full power loads. I really like the accuracy of their 155gr HP, and I'm pushing them over 1600 fps with no bullet issues. Funny though, I can get them cheaper, by the 100, from my local dealer, than by the 1000 from Montana Gold.
Wow. 1600 fps is pretty warm!

I was looking at the MG CMJ bullets. I think they were $151/1000. That is cool that you can find them less expensively at your local dealer. The PB bullets are $123 shipped. So the price difference was worth a try for me.
Old 03-06-2012, 23:59   #10
Yondering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post
Wow. 1600 fps is pretty warm!
That's out of a 6.6" barrel though, so not a "nuclear" load, just hot. But yeah, it's still smokin!

My local dealer sells the MG bullets for just a little more than the case price from MG direct, so yeah, I'm pretty happy about their prices. I like the 10mm and 45 MG hollow points, they work pretty well for a cheap bullet, and are fairly accurate. The 9mm's have a tiny hollow point though, and can't be counted on for any kind of expansion.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:29   #11
ModGlock17

Tater head, good posts. I am willing to try something other than Berry. The price point is good, too.

For 180gr, I think I'd go for something just less than 1,300 fps.

Thx. Please update new result when you get a chance. How fast can you drive them.

Outdoor Hub mobile
ModGlock17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:00   #12
preventec47

I have not tried too many different bullets but from talking
to several mfgrs it appears that some plated bullets have much thicker copper than others and can withstand higher
velocities. The only one I have personally used is the
XTREME 155gr RN which they say officially is good to
1500 fps as long as you dont get crazy with crimping
which can introduce a fracture zone in the plating if you
over do it. FWIW, since I started using the LEE factory
crimp die, I dont even have to crimp any more. What I
mean is that the auto sizer in the die puts as much crimp
as I need without even using the crimp function of the
die. Apparently the mfgrs who are making the thick plated
bullets have to push their bullets through a resizing swager
to assure precision diameters. Some refer to the term
of restrikeing the bullets. Almost forgot, the XTREME
factory rep said he knows a guy loading 38/40 lever action
rifle using their .40 bullets up to 2000 fps without problem.

I also liked the story from the Ranier guys and have ordered some bullets especially their 135gr FlatNose
because it is the shortest 10mm bullet anywhere which
translates into allowing the largest case capacity of any
bullet so if any velocity records are to be set it should
be with this bullet.
preventec47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 18:21   #13
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Update. Ran the PB 180s through an IDPA match today. 100+ round count. Great results! My power factor is higher than I have been previously running (207) so a wee little adaptation was in order. Overall, my total points down are one of my better outings. Scores haven't been posted yet, but that is what it seemed.

What a great day for a match. Great early spring weather. The big 20 was flawless as always!
Old 04-27-2012, 07:56   #14
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Send a message via AIM to nickE10mm Send a message via MSN to nickE10mm Send a message via Yahoo to nickE10mm
Good stuff here.... (I'd missed your thread when it first came out... whoops!)
10 Ring #1033 - Longslide #1045 - 10mm Loader #1066

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Why do I carry a 10mm?
“Because a 9mm only kills your body… the 10mm kills your soul.”
nickE10mm is offline   Reply With Quote