Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:36   #1
aaronmj

12 guage load/choke questions

Reading another thread made me think, I should ask the questions to clarify some stuff.

To begin:

I'm pretty much clueless on a few topics with shotguns.
-is it steel shot or lead? Does it matter?
-can I shoot a "rifled slug" in my smooth barrel? (I only have a smooth bore barrel).
-what the largest H.D. shell I can shoot out of my turkey choke and not ruin my gun/choke?

I have a benelli supernova I recently bought and intend to use it turkey hunting. It's also my HD gun (only shotgun).

I have a Indian creek choke tube and 3-1/2" hevi shot mag. blends.

http://indiancreekss.com/choketubes.html#strike

I also bring my gun up to my bedroom after hunting so is there a shell that I can just load it with after hunting and not worry about changing out my choke tube that would be sufficient for HD?

No, i'm not buying another shotgun for HD.

Thanks for the clarifications!
Old 02-21-2012, 11:15   #2
mingaa

According to your choke website "We recommend 3”2oz #6s Hevi-13 for .665 constriction. The .655 will shoot all lead shells very well." For HD in what I'd call a Super Full choke (VERY constricted) that load is going to come out in an HD situation in a VERY tight pattern - a room length will not give it much room to spread out. That could be a good thing with accurate delivery. You are still shooting a bird load (lots of small pellets) - if you want to leave that choke on all the time for simplicity's sake I'd call the manufacturer and ask them what is the safest (larger) load that the choke will accommodate. If it shoots 6 I bet it can shoot 4 but can it get to buck?? The manufacturer will know for sure. As far as lead vs steel - steel is harder and lighter than lead. It carries less energy AND is less forgiving if jammed through the wrong (too small) choke for the load. While you have the manufacturer of your choke on the phone add that to your questions - looks like they like lead and probably for good reason.

Here's a great article to read about slugs, barrels and chokes - all real world testing - I love the BOT guys: http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot46.htm

Have fun with the gun and ask a few more questions before committing to what you use for HD.

Last edited by mingaa; 02-21-2012 at 11:17..
mingaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:41   #3
VinnieD

A rifled slug is intended to be fired through a smoothbore barrel. The rifling is mostly cosmetic and doesn't impart spin to the slug. It does however let the slug squeeze down a bit to fit through some of the less severe chokes, but I wouldn't recommend firing it with a choke in. The slug mainly maintains its trajectory by distributing most of its weight toward the front, thus keeping its flight path stable. It's not as accurate as a spinning projectile but it's still fairly accurate between 50 and 100 yards.

If you want more accuracy you can get a rifled slug barrel (though you should fire sabot slugs through those to avoid leading up the barrel), or sometimes you can find a rifled (or "slug") choke, which imparts a little bit of spin to a slug just before it leaves the barrel. You can extend your effective range a good bit with a slug barrel, but rifled slugs are already built to get the best accuracy and range possible out of a smoothbore barrel, so you're good to go with those.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
VinnieD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:45   #4
aaronmj

Quote:
Here's a great article to read about slugs, barrels and chokes - all real world testing - I love the BOT guys: http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot46.htm

Can't stop reading this website, you're right, it's awesome!

Quote:
but I wouldn't recommend firing it with a choke in.

Seems like I read somewhere in the paperwork that came with the gun to not fire it at all without some kind of choke as it would cause damage... But maybe just a cylinder choke would work?!

Thanks for the info guys, this is certainly helpful! I will give the choke manuf. a call and ask them some questions.