Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-22-2012, 15:14   #1
SCmasterblaster

Has Anyone Tried CCWing a G36 yet?

I am considering this Glock for my 2nd Glock next year. I bought my first one, a G17, in 1989.
Old 02-22-2012, 15:16   #2
eclark53520

Skip the G36. G30 has more capacity, can share G21 mags, and isn't that much bigger. I carry either the G21 or the G30 all day every day(depending on clothing) and have no problems at all concealing either one of them.

My opinion anyway...lots of people CC the G36 though...
eclark53520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 15:39   #3
HarleyGuy

Most folks who have the G-36 seem to love them but I have a friend who has one and he's not really happy with it.
He thinks it's inaccurate but I think it's that he has not taken enough time to practice with it.
As for carrying, it is a little narrower which should make it easier to conceal.
HarleyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 20:08   #4
hi-power man
Silver Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyGuy View Post
He thinks it's inaccurate but I think it's that he has not taken enough time to practice with it. As for carrying, it is a little narrower which should make it easier to conceal.
I agree, he just needs to shoot it and maintain a proper grip. I've had a G36 in my carry rotation since 2002. It is as accurate as my G30.

I recently decided to CCW the G30 for 30 days, ie 4 of the 7 days per week, and experience the difference. I'm using a Raven IWB which gives excellent support but I can definitely tell the difference in width and weight.
Old 02-22-2012, 22:13   #5
SteelLucky

A 36 is my EDC. I also own a 21. I shoot the 36 just as well as the 21. I like the 36 and feel 7 rounds are enough in a CCW. I carry IWB tucked a lot and can hide it well. I carry a spare mag about 50% of the time.
SteelLucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 15:33   #6
RetDet

Send a message via AIM to RetDet
I got rid of a 30 and got a 36. To me, the 30 was clumsy and didn't fit my hand that well. The 30 is slimmer through the grip and works better for me. I don't worry at all about the lower round count, as I know how to reload quickly.

I used a G21 as a concealed duty gun for years, and I'd still use it, except that I like the 1:00 carry location and the 21 is uncomfortable.

I's go with the 36 over the 30 any day. Great accuracy, thinner construction, and enough ammo to get me out of trouble. A CCW piece is intended to let you escape from a problem, not to use in an extended firefight.
Old 02-23-2012, 15:38   #7
eclark53520

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetDet View Post
I got rid of a 30 and got a 36. To me, the 30 was clumsy and didn't fit my hand that well. The 30 is slimmer through the grip and works better for me. I don't worry at all about the lower round count, as I know how to reload quickly.

I used a G21 as a concealed duty gun for years, and I'd still use it, except that I like the 1:00 carry location and the 21 is uncomfortable.

I's go with the 36 over the 30 any day. Great accuracy, thinner construction, and enough ammo to get me out of trouble. A CCW piece is intended to let you escape from a problem, not to use in an extended firefight.
So if you happen to find yourself in an extended firefight(although highly unlikely..i know..but so is getting in a self defense scenario in the first place...), you're just going to give up? Throw the gun at them? Maybe wave a white flag?
eclark53520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 18:56   #8
nelsone
rank amateur

Send a message via Skype™ to nelsone
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclark53520 View Post
So if you happen to find yourself in an extended firefight(although highly unlikely..i know..but so is getting in a self defense scenario in the first place...), you're just going to give up? Throw the gun at them? Maybe wave a white flag?
About as likely as getting hit by a meteor.

Get the facts - and get serious.

Your G30 holds ONLY 10! Gasp! How can you STAND leaving the house without at least a G21??

Bah.

Last edited by nelsone; 02-23-2012 at 18:57..
nelsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 20:42   #9
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsone View Post
About as likely as getting hit by a meteor.

Get the facts - and get serious.

Your G30 holds ONLY 10! Gasp! How can you STAND leaving the house without at least a G21??

Bah.
I agree, capacity in a self defense firearm is way down the list of things you should be worrying about... The 36 carries 6 in the magazine and 1 in the chamber. Our grandpa's carried 6 shot revolvers for years, and they lived to tell the tale. Many 1911's only hold 7+1, and it's probably one of the most legendary handgun models there is.

I would be more concerned with the reliability of the G36. There was a run of them last year (or maybe the year before?) that folks were having constant malfunctions with them. I've shot a 36.. had one for quite a while. Rarely shot it because it just didn't fit my hand very well.

My things to worry about in a self defense gun:
1. Reliability -- Is it gonna go bang everytime I pull the trigger without jamming/malfunctioning?

2. Accuracy -- Am I reasonably accurate with it? Obviously, this can be fixed with practice in most circumstances. We're not talking bullseye accuracy, but can you keep double taps center mass on a target at about 10-15yds?

3. Ammo availability -- Is self defense and practice ammo readily available? Also factor cost in here, especially if you're using an "odd" caliber like the GAP, .357sig or 10mm. (I won't bother preaching about reloading right now). If it's to expensive to practice with, you're not going to practice...

That's my opinion

IGF (who carries a G23 w/ 13+1 )
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"

Last edited by IndyGunFreak; 02-23-2012 at 20:55..
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 00:00   #10
RetDet

Send a message via AIM to RetDet
Probably have been in more serious confrontations that you have. Know what to expect. Now, I'm retired. I don't have to do most of the things that I used to have to do and therefore won't require as much equipment. I also don't carry handcuffs, impact weapon, or a few other things that used to be considered necessary.

I feel quite safe with my 36, which has never failed me, and eats anything I feed it, and a spare mag or two. I know this will make you freak, but I also am comfortable with a 642 and a a speedloader or two. I spent a fortune on training and ammo, and learned to deal with things. I lived in the real world, not in gunfight fantasies. I'm happy and safe. You may not feel that you are. IDGAS.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:55   #11
fowler

Had a G36 went back to my G19 there the same size and use same holster. 16 shots verse only 7. The G36 did same a few times where my G19 never did.

Last edited by fowler; 02-24-2012 at 04:56..
fowler is offline   Reply With Quote