Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-22-2012, 18:34   #1
Glocknload 19

Is the J Frame For Back Up Consittered Old School

Was consittering the Ruger LCR to my Glock 23 for a back up weapon but really got razzed from some of the guys in my agency. They consittered even the LCR as old school and suggested I choose a compact 9MM. I was told almost no agencys authorize the j frames for back up weapons anywhere in the country and they are outdated. Don't know how accurate this statement is. I feel that it would and always has been an excellent pocket back up. How many of your agencys still have the j frame on the approved list and how many of you do carry them for back up. Im a Bond Enforcement Agent and want to get the best pocket protection possible. Lot of the guys carry the LCP but im just not comfortable carrying a 380 even for back up. All opinions would be apperciated. Need to find something to qualify with soon. Thanks guys.
Glocknload 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 18:39   #2
CJStudent
Fenced In

Send a message via AIM to CJStudent Send a message via Yahoo to CJStudent
I know a lot of local officers carry j-frames as BUGs or off-duty pieces.

Quote:
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.
CJStudent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 18:43   #3
3Speedyfish3

A J-frame back-up rides with me on duty in my ballistic vest. Revolvers have distinct advantages over semi-automatic pistols. Wheelguns go bang when you pull the trigger and go bang again when you pull the trigger. An auto may be out of battery and not fire in close combat. It also may not cycle to give you a second shot if the slide is obstructed or the gun is "limp-wristed."

The downside to the revolver is the limited payload of ammunition and slow reloads, though, as a back-up it is a save your skin last resort.

I have no problem with five rounds of .38 Spl. +P 135 grn. GDHP's and a speedstrip in the right front pants pocket in case of trouble.

Randall

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by 3Speedyfish3; 02-22-2012 at 18:46.. Reason: added content
3Speedyfish3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 18:44   #4
Sam Spade
Lifetime Membership

I know plenty of agencies in AZ authorizing Jframes. Restrictions are generally based on caliber, not action.

I use a Jframe when I need a gun that will roam around from pants pocket to overcoat to car console. It's still a tool with niches. Not a primary gun by any stretch of the imagination, not even the best off-duty weapon. But for a "get the eff offa me" piece, it still has many positives.
"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle
Sam Spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 19:33   #5
Arvinator

Been wearing a J frame .38 snub for a backup gun since 1990, every day in uniform and when pulled tours for several years as a Detective. Currently I am working patrol, graveyards with a Glock 22 as sidearm, hammerless S&W snubbie on my body armor straps, AND a Ruger LCP .380 in my wallet pocket, a new addition this week replacing the Kel-Tec P-32 I had in there. When I wore BDU's, a second Snubbie rode there. My J frame saved me once in a bad problem, and well worth considering.
Arvinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 19:37   #6
Denied
NRA Member

Old school was a good school, J-frames have been around for a long time have been proven over and over. I have several chief specials and keep one in reach all the time.
Old 02-22-2012, 19:49   #7
PattonT

My Dept allows J frames and the only disadvantage I see is carrying more than one caliber of ammo. I don't care so much about it only being 5 rounds as that helps save weight only. Have you thought about a CM40/PM40?
Actually a 40 pocket gun bites hard and Kahrs aren't always reliable out of the box so it may or may not appeal to you.

Last edited by PattonT; 02-22-2012 at 19:50..
PattonT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 20:05   #8
ArtCrafter
¤Hocker Mocker¤

In addition to the comments above in support of the J-frame and those that may follow, I believe the title of this book says it 'all.'

The Snubby Revolver The ECQ, Backup, and Concealed Carry Standard
Revised and Updated Edition (2006) by Ed Lovette

In it, the author makes a strong, thought-provoking case for the snubnose revolver, particularly in the backup role, and under the worst possible conditions (for example, "ECQ," or Extreme Close Quarters).

IMO, it is well worth reading.

HTH
ArtCrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 20:06   #9
tc215

You posted this same question a few months ago.

The j-frame is still probably the most popular BUG for LEO's in the U.S., just like it was the first time you asked.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show....php?t=1384303

Last edited by tc215; 02-22-2012 at 20:09..
tc215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 20:33   #10
Patchman
Florist

A few months I asked one of our firearms instructor about this, and his reply was that going back to the .38 would be considered (for our agency) a step backwards. This was in reference to having to provide training, armorer support and ammo for the .38.

I'm sure if large enough numbers of LE agencies began allowing 9mm and .40 revolvers (J-frames/SP101s) as backup guns, companies will build them. I know I'd buy them.

In a gunfight, even if you do everything right, you can still get killed.
Patchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 20:42   #11
kayl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchman View Post
A few months I asked one of our firearms instructor about this, and his reply was that going back to the .38 would be considered (for our agency) a step backwards. This was in reference to having to provide training, armorer support and ammo for the .38.

I'm sure if large enough numbers of LE agencies began allowing 9mm and .40 revolvers (J-frames/SP101s) as backup guns, companies will build them. I know I'd buy them.
I'd love a 9mm 642! (I know they made the 940, but why not make one now?)
If I saw a guy robbing a bank I would get on my horse and cut his head off with my katana.
kayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 20:56   #12
DaBigBR
No Infidels!

I want to be clear on something: are you a law enforcement officer or do you work for a bondsman?

-David Simon in "Homicide"
DaBigBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 21:09   #13
spyd3r05

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBigBR View Post
I want to be clear on something: are you a law enforcement officer or do you work for a bondsman?
From another thread :
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glocknload 19 View Post
I have a G19 for a primary, a G26 for a back up. I am a bond enforcement agent as well as working frequently on protection details ......
Or was that Rhetorical?

Last edited by spyd3r05; 02-22-2012 at 21:09..
spyd3r05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 21:10   #14
PattonT

I just realized you are in Florida. Aren't all armed security/Bail Bondsman/private body guards restricted to 9mm or 38spl?
Old 02-22-2012, 21:10   #15
PattonT

No, I'm not going to say it, I'll be nice.

Last edited by PattonT; 02-22-2012 at 21:19..
PattonT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 23:28   #16
Glocknload 19

I do Bond Recovery in Fla. And yes were required to carry 9mm 38 or 380 but in certain situations I am able to carry my G23. I realize I asked this question earlier but I was told to post on this forum to get responses from LE. If I'm not allowed to post on this forum as it is only LE only, I appologize, I wasn't told that. Thanks for all well, most of your replies anyway.
Glocknload 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 23:45   #17
freeride88

Send a message via AIM to freeride88
It's certainly authorized here, and it's my everyday backup piece. It rides on the vest strap all the time.
freeride88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 00:10   #18
BlisteringSilence
Secret Squirrel

I have a 642. Love it. Carry it almost every time I work. I still haven't figured out where to stick my G30.
BlisteringSilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 02:19   #19
GumbyDammit
Xtra CoCheese

We have a couple of guys who carry them. I carry an LCP as a BUG on duty and a lot of the time off duty because it gives me a couple more rounds than my .38 spcl bulldog. Neither make me as comfortable as my G23 with a reload, but that doesn't fit in my cargo pocket nearly as well.
The other night there was a loud argument in the hall outside my apartment while I was trying to sleep. I went out and told them they better leave or I was gonna use some Kung-Fu... THAT scared them off...

Plus I was totally nekkid and holding a gun.
GumbyDammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:35   #20
PattonT

I know this isn't what you asked but i find the LCR's trigger a lot more pleasureable and it doesn't matter what your "guys in your agency" say. Most of the whacker BEA's I have met would carry dual fullsize 1911's so pick a primary and a backup that make since. If you can can shoot a LCR and you will carry it then thats what matters.