Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-23-2012, 14:24   #1
mrgreentie

Getting into 3 Gun

I'm just getting started with 3 Gun and had no clue what guns worked best for this sport. I searched a ton of forums with no success. In my search I found this article that provided a ton of great info. Hope it helps you guys looking to break into 3 Gun!

3 Gun Nation Pro Shooter, Jesse Tischauser,talks about getting started in 3 Gun.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
mrgreentie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 14:41   #2
D3S3RT_P3NGU1N

Just run with what you already have for now. Don't bother buying any new gear when you're just getting started, its just a waste of money as guys almost always discover that the gear they bought starting out isn't the gear they want/need once they've got a little more experience under their belt. Just get out to as many of your local matches as you can, introduce yourself to the competitors, ask to try out their stuff and then decide what you want after you have more experience. Don't be discouraged by doing badly when you're starting out, everyone gets their ass handed to them when they're new

Oh, and welcome to competitive shooting
"To be governed is to be watched, inspected, directed, indoctrinated, numbered, estimated, regulated, commanded, controlled, law-driven, preached at, spied upon, censored, checked, valued, enrolled, by creatures who have neither the right, nor the wisdom nor the virtue to do so."
D3S3RT_P3NGU1N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 15:24   #3
FatPants

Do you shoot any other types of matches?

I would recommend getting a good holster (no nylon crap) and run what you already have for a while. As mentioned above, I've seen it time and again where someone shows up to their first match with all new gear, only to see them selling most of it at a loss a few months later.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk
FatPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 15:33   #4
dosei

Out of curiosity...why does everything in your post & sig line all refer back to GunZoo.com?
"Know where the attack against you is likely to come, whether on the street or in court, and have a proven counter already in place" (Mas Ayoob)
dosei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 15:45   #5
mrgreentie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosei View Post
Out of curiosity...why does everything in your post & sig line all refer back to GunZoo.com?
They are a social website for gun owners.

Its not a gun forum but a place to upload your gun collection, tag modifications, comment or ask questions on other guns, read gun news, and they have a tool to take your uploaded gun collection and have a forum signature automatically created for the forum you choose and add it to your forum signature. Glocktalk is listed on there. Its a cool site.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Old 02-23-2012, 15:46   #6
mrgreentie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPants View Post
Do you shoot any other types of matches?

I would recommend getting a good holster (no nylon crap) and run what you already have for a while. As mentioned above, I've seen it time and again where someone shows up to their first match with all new gear, only to see them selling most of it at a loss a few months later.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk
I shoot in USPSA and IDPA. Shoot a little F-Class as well. 3 Gun was the next step, i guess.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Old 02-23-2012, 16:34   #7
Tony Rumore

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3S3RT_P3NGU1N View Post
Just run with what you already have for now.
I started shooting IPSC about 15 years ago with a Smith 1006. Was in C class. A year later, I had all the go fast high dollar stuff.......and I was still a C class shooter.

I quit, after watching all the belly aching, in-fighting and carrying-on by the prima donna shooters. There are really quite a few serious ass clowns in the shooting sports. And if you're one of those competitive shooters that doesn't know what I'm talking about.....well....you're probably one of them.

Last edited by Tony Rumore; 02-23-2012 at 20:39..
Tony Rumore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 20:29   #8
Jon_R
Silver Membership

Most 3 gunners come from a pistol sport already so whatever pistol you use for that should work fine for 3-gun.

For rifle the AR platform is king but some guys run AKs just fine. A nice AK74 could be a sweet setup and we have one shooter runs that every match. I have also run a match with my Garand and my M1 carbine when I feel like it. All about having some fun.

For shotgun it almost always come down to how fast can you load it. I have been shooting 3-gun a few years now and I still use my 590 pump but I can grab 4 shells in weak hand from a shell caddy while keeping the gun in firing position and push them in the tube in a few seconds. I place very well on shotgun stages shooting my old 12 gauge pump....

Some people fall in love with tactical vests for a couple matches then they give them up from what I have seen.
Jon_R is offline   Reply With Quote