GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2012, 13:59   #1
436
Senior Member
 
436's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 101
Picked up Mod 66 3 inch

I have a question; I picked up a S&W 66-5 3 inch .357 Mag with a few goodies for what I thought was a very reasonable price.. under $400.00 The pistol came with five speed loaders and 10 box's of 110gr Super Vel's alone with 12 box's of Winchester Western .357 Mag 158gr metal piercing; plus holster. The gentleman (rancher) that sold it said; "he never, bought for his daughter, see moved leaving the pistol".
My question is; are there many of these 3 inch M66 around this is the first one I've seen. Here's a few pic's or a thread if I can get them to load up.
http://ImageEvent.com/swat/mod66
436
436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 15:26   #2
540mope
Senior Member
 
540mope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: yonder
Posts: 651
You got a sweet deal on that 66 and could almost double your money if you choose to sell it. A lot of people consider the 3" K-frames to be the ideal carry weapon, and that makes it very desirable and sought after.
Over 5000 3" 66s were made...4195 of them were 66-2s made for Ashland (distributor).
540mope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 16:46   #3
436
Senior Member
 
436's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by 540mope View Post
You got a sweet deal on that 66 and could almost double your money if you choose to sell it. A lot of people consider the 3" K-frames to be the ideal carry weapon, and that makes it very desirable and sought after.
Over 5000 3" 66s were made...4195 of them were 66-2s made for Ashland (distributor).
540mope,
Thanks for sitrep on the weapon and buy.. yeah knew it was a good deal.... alone with the ammo; which was a throw in because he didn't want or have any use for it, yes a very nice snag.. All new in the box ammo.. still can't really figure out why he had so much of it, especially the .357 mag 158gr MP on the other hand the .38 110gr HP Super Vel maybe.. I think some guy at the counter saw him coming on the ammo part, but then money doesn't seem to be a problem for him.
436

Side note; he also had the box and paper work.

Last edited by 436; 02-23-2012 at 16:48.. Reason: Side note
436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 17:53   #4
540mope
Senior Member
 
540mope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: yonder
Posts: 651
Quote:
Originally Posted by 436 View Post
540mope,
Thanks for sitrep on the weapon and buy.. yeah knew it was a good deal.... alone with the ammo; which was a throw in because he didn't want or have any use for it, yes a very nice snag.. All new in the box ammo.. still can't really figure out why he had so much of it, especially the .357 mag 158gr MP on the other hand the .38 110gr HP Super Vel maybe.. I think some guy at the counter saw him coming on the ammo part, but then money doesn't seem to be a problem for him.
436

Side note; he also had the box and paper work.
That box and paper work make the deal even better!! Congrats. If you're going to shoot Magnums the 158gr is perfect for the K-frame

I lucked into this 3" 66-4 at a gun show two years ago. The original owner brought it with him to sell but the dealers didn't want to pay his asking price.
I snagged it for $450...came with the Spegal boot grips on it, and a sweet trigger job.

Smith & Wesson Club
540mope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:21   #5
436
Senior Member
 
436's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by 540mope View Post
That box and paper work make the deal even better!! Congrats. If you're going to shoot Magnums the 158gr is perfect for the K-frame

I lucked into this 3" 66-4 at a gun show two years ago. The original owner brought it with him to sell but the dealers didn't want to pay his asking price.
I snagged it for $450...came with the Spegal boot grips on it, and a sweet trigger job.

Smith & Wesson Club
Very nice, I do like the grips.
436
436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:59   #6
ZekerMan
ZekerMan
 
ZekerMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,411
Yes .... you got a great deal on the 66. I have not run into one of those for quite some time. I had one in a 4 inch barrel and it was a great pistol, but of course I sold it back in the 80s for $250. Enjoy!!!
__________________
NRA Life Member
ZekerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 13:26   #7
AA#5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 5,099
Nice gun & no lock.

Looks like a Mod. 65 with adjustable sights.
AA#5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 17:44   #8
pennlineman
Senior Member
 
pennlineman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: PA
Posts: 2,606
Very nice 66! I'm a fan of the K frames myself, congrats!
pennlineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 19:38   #9
custom1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 14
Seriously?

I would give unnecessary parts of my anatomy for a deal like that. I have a 2" barrel model 19 no dash that was a gift and I believe over $700 when purchased. The 3" k frame is the perfect carry example of smith and wesson hardware. Best balance of frame size, weight and barrel length for ease of comfort and muzzle energy. The rest is just the icing on the already wonderful cake. I am so jealous, do us proud carry and love that gun. It is a wonderful piece of firearms art.
custom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:59   #10
OMEGA5
Senior Member
 
OMEGA5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by 436 View Post
I have a question; I picked up a S&W 66-5 3 inch .357 Mag with a few goodies for what I thought was a very reasonable price.. under $400.00 The pistol came with five speed loaders and 10 box's of 110gr Super Vel's alone with 12 box's of Winchester Western .357 Mag 158gr metal piercing; plus holster. The gentleman (rancher) that sold it said; "he never, bought for his daughter, see moved leaving the pistol".
My question is; are there many of these 3 inch M66 around this is the first one I've seen. Here's a few pic's or a thread if I can get them to load up.
http://ImageEvent.com/swat/mod66
436
That is a great deal. I gave $400 for a
2in model 19 last year and that was a
good deal for around here.
Dano
__________________
VietNam Vet 68-69.
Retired LEO After 41 years
NRA Endowment Life Member
OMEGA5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 18:21   #11
SLO1911Fan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by 436 View Post
I have a question; I picked up a S&W 66-5 3 inch .357 Mag with a few goodies for what I thought was a very reasonable price.. under $400.00 The pistol came with five speed loaders and 10 box's of 110gr Super Vel's alone with 12 box's of Winchester Western .357 Mag 158gr metal piercing; plus holster. The gentleman (rancher) that sold it said; "he never, bought for his daughter, see moved leaving the pistol".
My question is; are there many of these 3 inch M66 around this is the first one I've seen. Here's a few pic's or a thread if I can get them to load up.
http://ImageEvent.com/swat/mod66
436

For the record, I hate you... Congrats on your amazing deal. That setup would cost over $1000 where I am, IF you could find one for sale.
SLO1911Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 20:31   #12
bac1023
Senior Member
 
bac1023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 87,368
Congrats on a great deal!
__________________
.

1911 Buyer's Guide
bac1023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 19:40   #13
gunsmoke92
Senior Member
 
gunsmoke92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Rigby, Idaho
Posts: 846
That is a beautiful 66! I agree with the earlier comments on prices for the 3" models. A thread on another forum was indicating the going prices are heading toward the North side of a grand. Hang on to that with both hands.
__________________
The best defense is a good offense, and I'm really offensive.
SFC, U.S. Army, Retired 1971 - 1992
S&W Club #92, Snubbie club #92, The 21 Club #92
gunsmoke92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 19:57   #14
series1811
CLM Number
Enforcerator.
 
series1811's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Retired, but not expired.
Posts: 14,311
That is a smoking deal on a 66 and the three inch is my favorite length. I had a M13 3 iinch. A 66 is better.
__________________
I sure miss the country I grew up in.
series1811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 21:04.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,494
443 Members
1,051 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42