Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 22:48   #1
tim12232
Pistolero

9 year old charged with shooting classmate

PORT ORCHARD, Washington (Reuters) - A 9-year-old Washington state boy accused of bringing a loaded handgun to third-grade, where it went off in his backpack and critically wounded a classmate, was charged on Thursday with assault and unlawful possession of a firearm.

Meanwhile the 8-year-old victim, Amina Kocer-Bowman, was listed in critical condition in the intensive care unit at Harborview Medical Center in Seattle, one day after suffering gunshot wounds to her arm and abdomen.

The boy, a third-grade student at Armin Jahr Elementary School in Bremerton, Washington, was charged with one count each of third-degree assault, unlawful possession of a firearm and possession of a firearm on school grounds.

http://news.yahoo.com/boy-9-charged-...235621597.html

What the hell kinda parents does this kid have?!!!!! I understand at 9 your a bit more accountable for what you do, but I feel this whole situation would not have happened with some good parenting!!! Who leaves a loaded gun completely accessible to a 9 year old?
Sure when my grandpa would show me guns he taught me what not to do, and how to use them. Sounds like dad had an open gun without telling junior what can happen when not respected.

sorry if repost!
I also had no need for NV, so I went with the 512. As far as the submersion, if I'm 10 feet under water and still holding onto my rifle, something has gone terribly awry and I don't think an extra 23 feet is going to matter to me. YMMV
G21 Club #858
Old 02-23-2012, 23:16   #2
carbuncle
is not cool.

From what I heard on KOMO radio this evening, the kid's legal guardian is his uncle and the two parents are both "known to police and courts." The father was in court to support his kid, who was tearful and terrified, and blamed the mother.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:58   #3
tim12232
Pistolero

I really thought this would get some people riled up! I guess I was wrong
I also had no need for NV, so I went with the 512. As far as the submersion, if I'm 10 feet under water and still holding onto my rifle, something has gone terribly awry and I don't think an extra 23 feet is going to matter to me. YMMV
G21 Club #858
Old 02-24-2012, 10:13   #4
arclight610

There's really not much to get riled up about. Although in this case it was probably bad parenting, it isn't always the case.

How many times have you told a child "no", maybe even explained to them why, yet they disobey you anyways. I know I have. When I was a child, I was strictly forbidden to touch the guns without my dad home. I tinkered with them anyways. Kids aren't dumb, and they'll figure a way to get into stuff and cover their tracks. Did that make my dad a bad parent that he didn't know I got into the guns when he was at work? Not at all.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:29   #5
Aceman

As with all kids, some are perfect, others completely damaged, and the rest somewhere in between.

YOU need to make the call about having weapons with children. I know kids down the street, I wouldn't let them near a gun, let alone have one that wasn't 100% locked down.

But that's me. Then you have your parents. They run the range too.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:46   #6
ithaca_deerslayer

"School staff and police found a loaded .45 caliber Heckler and Koch pistol in the boy's backpack, which was ripped open at the bottom where the muzzle of the gun had been pointed... Several students... heard the gun go off when the boy slammed his backpack on a desk"

I don't have any HK. How did it go off?

One guess is he had it cocked and some stuff loose in the bag forced the trigger?

Some crappy gun designs will allow a hammer to bang into a firing pin, or directly to the round, if hit just right.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:13   #7
arclight610

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithaca_deerslayer View Post
"School staff and police found a loaded .45 caliber Heckler and Koch pistol in the boy's backpack, which was ripped open at the bottom where the muzzle of the gun had been pointed... Several students... heard the gun go off when the boy slammed his backpack on a desk"

I don't have any HK. How did it go off?

One guess is he had it cocked and some stuff loose in the bag forced the trigger?

Some crappy gun designs will allow a hammer to bang into a firing pin, or directly to the round, if hit just right.
The kid probably chambered a round, but didn't decock or put it on safe. So, the gun is loaded cocked and locked in his backpack.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:29   #8
Jameson4all

The thing is, young kids have not developed the ethics and morals required to say to themselves 'hey I should not do this because it is wrong'. So if the kid has accessibility to a gun he or she might just grab it and not realize what could happen. Im not entirely sure why parents leave guns around the house that kids could grab. Be responsible and buy a gun safe or gun locker and put your guns in there so the kids have less chance of getting them. For example when my niece's come to visit, I put all accessible firearms in the gun safe and then just take em back out when they leave, no big deal on my part. Sorry if I have rambled on.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:32   #9
Syclone538

Yeah, I'm more wondering how it went off, then how he got a hold of it.

To stop kids from getting to them if they really want, they have to be locked with a key, that only you have, on you, all the time. Not in your wife's purse, ect. I would not trust combination locks to work if the kids have much time at home by themselves, say an hour a day after school before mom or dad get home.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Quote:
The constitution is not, nor was it meant to be absolutely literal.

Last edited by Syclone538; 02-24-2012 at 11:37..
Old 02-24-2012, 12:03   #10
Novocaine

All kinds of things can happen to a gun thrown in a bag without holster. I know if I simply throw HKS speedloaders into a range bag most of the time by the end of the day some of them will get unlocked and spill the rounds all over the place.

It's a tragic story but charging the kid with assault is beyond me. Most adults will not appreciate the possible consequence of placing a gun in a bag, you're talking 9 y.o. As to whether parents/guardian are at fault, who knows? Not enough info.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:18   #11
tim12232
Pistolero

Say if it was already loaded when he grabbed it, and it was a DA/SA HK, could a pen or whatever in the book bag get into the trigger guard and cause the gun to go off DA??? I think HK is around a 10-11 lb trigger pull in DA. Are the LEM triggers a little lighter on the pull? Alot of ?'s, but again charging a true minor with that seems way out of line! That kid will probably never be able to own a gun in his life.
G21 Club #858
Old 02-24-2012, 12:29   #12
AA#5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim12232 View Post
PORT ORCHARD, Washington (Reuters) - A 9-year-old Washington state boy accused of bringing a loaded handgun to third-grade, where it went off in his backpack and critically wounded a classmate, was charged on Thursday with assault and unlawful possession of a firearm.

Meanwhile the 8-year-old victim, Amina Kocer-Bowman, was listed in critical condition in the intensive care unit at Harborview Medical Center in Seattle, one day after suffering gunshot wounds to her arm and abdomen.

The boy, a third-grade student at Armin Jahr Elementary School in Bremerton, Washington, was charged with one count each of third-degree assault, unlawful possession of a firearm and possession of a firearm on school grounds.

http://news.yahoo.com/boy-9-charged-...235621597.html

What the hell kinda parents does this kid have?!!!!! I understand at 9 your a bit more accountable for what you do, but I feel this whole situation would not have happened with some good parenting!!! Who leaves a loaded gun completely accessible to a 9 year old?
Sure when my grandpa would show me guns he taught me what not to do, and how to use them. Sounds like dad had an open gun without telling junior what can happen when not respected.

sorry if repost!
"What the hell kinda parents does this kid have?!!!!!"

This kid has the same kinda parents found right here on Glocktalk.

Ya know....the ones who say, "I don't have to lock my guns up.....my kids are smarter than yours.....my kids know better......I told my kids never to touch my guns & they always obey me 'cuz they're good kids. Besides, they know they'll get an ass whoopin' if they disobey me."

That was the "dumb." Here's the "dumber:"

"I hid my gun so well, my kids will never find it."
Old 02-24-2012, 12:41   #13
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA#5 View Post

Ya know....the ones who say, "I don't have to lock my guns up.....my kids are smarter than yours.....my kids know better......I told my kids never to touch my guns & they always obey me 'cuz they're good kids. Besides, they know they'll get an ass whoopin' if they disobey me."

Even at 6, I think my kid is smart enough not to leave a gun loose in the backpack.

But I will remind him anyway to make sure he only carries a loaded handgun in a holster. If the backpack had a built-in holster, like mom's fannypack or purse, then that'd be considered proper carry, though.

Jeepers. Who's teaching these kids the safety lessons nowawdays.
Old 02-24-2012, 13:07   #14
svtpwnz

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA#5 View Post

I agree 100%! How in the hell did this kid wind up with the weapon away from his parents in the first place? This is so irresponsible and just more fuel for the Anti crowd! The legal guardians are without a doubt the ones who should bare the burden of the blame here. The weapon should be locked up or in his posession with aldult supervision only PERIOD!!!!!!!!!! There is simply no excuse for this and even if the parents don't have a safe, the damn gun comes with a cable lock.
Old 02-24-2012, 17:18   #15
tinman517

The owner of the handgun should be held accountable.
Old 02-24-2012, 17:20   #16
Jameson4all

Yea unfortunately stuff like this does give the anti's more fuel. sigh.

Last edited by Jameson4all; 02-24-2012 at 17:25..
Old 02-24-2012, 19:04   #17
Berto
woo woo

Either parent likely can't legally own a gun based on the records they have.
THe gun was from the lowlife Mom's boyfriend.....betting he's not legal either.

I feel sorry for the kid; The Mom doesn't want him and the Dad is sketchy with DV's on his rap sheet. The Uncle sounds like a good man, and the radio folks are helping get the kid good legal representation (Anne Bremner).
My thoughts are still with the little girl, she is the real victim.

Closed Thread