Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-24-2012, 04:11   #1
G30SF46

Job?

I have been to all the gun stores around me and i would like a job in one of them to have a job related to what I want to do for a career. I walk in introduce my self and they all say no even after they see I am getting a formal education to become a gunsmith and the guns I have built even pieces I have built from scratch. I know they see me as a kid that just thinks guns are cool from video games any suggestions for a young guy trying to get a foot in the door? Or how I could change my approach maybe that would help me?

Glock 30
G30SF46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:25   #2
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

If it was me, I would try to get to know the store owners first. Become a good customer and get on a first name basis so they get to know you and what your about. Then after things settle down and they know you, ask for a application. Maybe even volunteer to work a few days a week for a good discount on store items with the condition that if you do good, you can get paid after a while.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:41   #3
redbaron007
Lifetime Membership
A Nice Prick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOH212 View Post
If it was me, I would try to get to know the store owners first. Become a good customer and get on a first name basis so they get to know you and what your about. Then after things settle down and they know you, ask for a application. Maybe even volunteer to work a few days a week for a good discount on store items with the condition that if you do good, you can get paid after a while.
^^
This!

Several employees of some guns shops, I know, have done this. It'll take a little time.

red
TopGun *357sig* Club - #2632
The 10 Ring #00720

R.I.P. Cajunator® ~ R.I.P. JTull7
R.I.P. Mullah (aka El_Ron1) ~ R.I.P. GioaJack ~ R.I.P. Okie
redbaron007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:49   #4
FLIPPER 348
Happy Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G30SF46 View Post
any suggestions for a young guy trying to get a foot in the door? Or how I could change my approach maybe that would help me?

Glock 30

Make sure your approach is not the the same mess of the English Language that your post is.
FLIPPER 348 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:26   #5
method

You need to try to find work with a gunsmithing company, not just any old gun shop.

Good luck.

I briefly attended a gunsmithing school in Arizona before I decided it wasn't worth it. Saw a girl that was in an engraving class with me a few years later. She told me she was living in Phoenix working at Robar, polishing parts for 8 bucks an hour. She said there were a few guys doing the same work there who had completed the entire 2 year gunsmithing program. All she'd ever taken were two engraving classes.
method is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:30   #6
Bruce M

In the limited circles that I travel, any job experience and good references goes nearly as far for an entry level job as does any potential future training and or goals.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:35   #7
KarlThomas

I would pick the one you think you have the best chance with and make that the store you go to for the majority of your ammo/guns/accessories needs. If you ever deal with the owner of the store, extend your hand and introduce yourself. Let him know from your conversations and the way you handle guns in the store that you are quite knowledgeable. I'm sure they get young people all the time that think it would be badass to work at a gun shop. You have to separate yourself from the crowd.
KarlThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:49   #8
EL COLONEL

Flipper 348 , cut the kid a break. He is just looking for a job which is more than a can say for most kids nowadays .
Old 02-24-2012, 11:32   #9
mgs
Always Carrying

Most gun stores recommend a local gunsmith! We have several that work from home and that's a great tax break for now. You can build AR's or good bolt guns with minimum tools and machinery. Repairing broken parts is also a good business. You also could work at Gander Mtn as a Gunsmith....would not be my first choice but you would know the most!...Mike.
mgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 16:50   #10
G30SF46

Thanks for the suggestions and sorry about the errors in the first post. I had to wake up at 3:45 this morning and posted it when I was only half awake.

Glock 30
Old 02-24-2012, 16:52   #11
G30SF46

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL COLONEL View Post
Flipper 348 , cut the kid a break. He is just looking for a job which is more than a can say for most kids nowadays .
Thanks for defending me.

Glock 30
Old 02-24-2012, 19:34   #12
Cambo

My advice on becoming a "typical" gun shop employee:

1. Practice ignoring people.
2. Work on rudeness skills.(I can't emphasize this enough)
3. Come up with an Special Forces cover story, regardless of your age, make sure to mention "combat experience".
4. Practice selling only one brand of handgun, make sure to disparage all others.
5. If someone asks for a gun not in the store, just tell them it doesn't exist.
6. If a gun doesn't fit someone's hand, tell them they have to make their hand fit the gun - whatever that means.

Last edited by Cambo; 02-24-2012 at 21:07..
Cambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 19:52   #13
Teecher45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambo View Post

2. Work on rudeness skills.(I can't empathize this enough)
3. Come up with an Special Forces cover story, regardless of your age, make sure to mention "combat experience".
4. Practice selling only one brand of handgun, make sure to disparage all others.
6. If a gun doesn't fit someone's hand, tell them they have to make their hand fit the gun - whatever that means.
That's funny as hell.
Not very helpful, but funny as hell!
Old 02-24-2012, 20:59   #14
FLIPPER 348
Happy Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL COLONEL View Post

I don't 'cut them breaks' when they are in front of my desk for a job interview, why should I here?

One of the things I do during interviews: I politely excuse myself from the office saying there is a client I have to talk to. I give the interviewee a pen and sheet of paper and ask them to write down why they want the job and where they see themselves 5 years from now. About 10 minutes later I return and take the paper without reading it. I read it after the interview and the content does not mean much. But if it is not legible or composed properly it goes into the trash along with the resume.
FLIPPER 348 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 22:28   #15
glock2740
Gun lover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambo View Post

2. Work on rudeness skills.(I can't emphasize this enough)
Hell, if learns all that, he'll end up being the manager.
glock2740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 23:11   #16
G30SF46

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLIPPER 348 View Post
I don't 'cut them breaks' when they are in front of my desk for a job interview, why should I here?

One of the things I do during interviews: I politely excuse myself from the office saying there is a client I have to talk to. I give the interviewee a pen and sheet of paper and ask them to write down why they want the job and where they see themselves 5 years from now. About 10 minutes later I return and take the paper without reading it. I read it after the interview and the content does not mean much. But if it is not legible or composed properly it goes into the trash along with the resume.
I completely agree my post was not that great but you are just bashing a post to glock talk 5 minutes after I woke up at 3:45 a.m. I understand the criticism and take no offense. I do not write like that in a professional setting. I have in fact written and placed as high as state with a business plan. I also presented the plan multiple times to get that far. So I also present my self and speak in a professional manner in a professional setting. My apologizes for not meeting those standards on a glock talk post.

Glock 30
Old 02-24-2012, 23:15   #17
Jameson4all

Cambo, that was funny man and pretty accurate depending on which shop you go to. To the original poster, I would say keep trying other places, maybe try to start on the floor and work your way in to the gun smithing position after your hired on.
Jameson4all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 23:22   #18
LASTRESORT20
LongTerm-Guy

Good luck in your search.....I agree with what Karl T said above...always remember....never stop knocking....nothing good comes easy....Sooner or later...a door will open.
LASTRESORT20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 01:29   #19
djpuffnstuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOH212 View Post

That's a good way to get a job in a gun store.... but it sounds like you want something more than that and your wanting a job in the gun store more for some experience in a gun retail environment. In which case you don't have time (or the money) to get buddy buddy with the owner.

If what your really after is the chance to get experience by repairing or doing work on a multitude of guns I would call pretty much anyone you can think of that might be in the gun business or use guns. Call pawn shops, call people that teach CCW classes, call the gun stores back, place an ad in your local classified.
djpuffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 03:40   #20
AA#5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLIPPER 348 View Post
Make sure your approach is not the the same mess of the English Language that your post is.
Well, sum peoples, dey got inglish abiliti & sum, dey got mekanicle abiliti but most people ain't got boath.

AA#5 is offline   Reply With Quote