SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 08:34   #1
acg8276

Teenage Mom Shoots Intruder, Writes an Open Letter to Nebraskans

On New Years Eve teenage mother Sarah McKinley shot and killed an intruder who had broken into her house. Now she has written an open letter to her fellow Nebraska residents imploring them to pass the Nebraska Victim Protection Act.

The Nebraska Victim Protection Act, LB 804, has been referred to as a type of “Castle Doctrine” as it removes burden of proof from homeowners who may be using deadly force against home intruders. In her letter, Sarah McKinley addresses the fact that she did not have time to discover whether or not the intruder had a weapon. Because she was in Oklahoma at the time of her attack, state law protected her from prosecution or civil suits. This same protection is what the Nebraska Victim Protection act aims to bring to the Corn Husker state.

http://www.guns.com/teenage-mom-shoo...ebraskans.html
Old 02-24-2012, 08:41   #2
M2 Carbine

Good for her.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:43   #3
Jameson4all

Well if I heard an attacker in my house, I would confront and access the situation and if at any point I saw any weapons then take em out. The reason I say that is, what if its just some 10yr old unarmed kid who is trying to take your playstation 3?
Old 02-24-2012, 12:19   #4
125K9

It's all too easy to claim, "I would have done this, or I would have done that." Having been in L.E. for 22 years, and in a large, terribly crime-ridden city for a large part of that, I've seen, investigated, and/or been involved in many lethal situations. Until you've been in a particular person's exact circumstance you can't really say WHAT you'd do. Or, what you wouldn't do.
I remember seeing this young lady on the news and also remember that she wasn't confronted by a 10 y.o. boy in her home, rather was caught up in a life/death ordeal. I'm pretty sure that she wouldn't have just blown some child away. It would be a wonderful world if a homeowner, or occupant, had the time and ability to just stand back and "access" the situation. I'm afraid that the world we live in today isn't quite so safe and sterile, or static for that fact.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Vietnam Vet/SOG
Roll Tide!!
Old 02-24-2012, 13:31   #5
KING-PIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameson4all View Post
Well if I heard an attacker in my house, I would confront and access the situation and if at any point I saw any weapons then take em out. The reason I say that is, what if its just some 10yr old unarmed kid who is trying to take your playstation 3?
I wouldn't hesitate to blast them. Not even flinch. I don't have time to ask for ID and try to figure out their age. My family is threatened, and I won't let it get past that.

If you were man enough to break into my house, you are big enough to deal with the consequences.

I bet they won't put themselves in a big boy situation again.

Last edited by KING-PIN; 02-24-2012 at 13:32..
Old 02-24-2012, 13:58   #6
Andy W

Quote:
Originally Posted by KING-PIN View Post
I wouldn't hesitate to blast them. Not even flinch. I don't have time to ask for ID and try to figure out their age. My family is threatened, and I won't let it get past that.

If you were man enough to break into my house, you are big enough to deal with the consequences.

I bet they won't put themselves in a big boy situation again.
That would be a sucky situation all around. Even though I may be justified in shooting (10 year olds can pull a trigger too,) I would feel really bad about it after the fact. Don't tell me you wouldn't feel any sadness after shooting a kid, even if necessary.
Old 02-24-2012, 14:00   #7
ddbtoth

Quote:
Yeah, thank God they will leave your money, guns, and other goods in the house-no one really needs a Playstation anyway-he deserves it more than you do because you only bought it, he really wants it!

"Thank you, but I would rather die behind the chemical sheds."
Old 02-24-2012, 14:03   #8
gunsmoke92

Quote:
I believe the original article was posted here and on several other forums, a search should bring it up. The intruder attempted to enter her home under false pretenses earlier that day, then came back and attempted to force his way into the home. She blocked the door with a couch, called 911, put a handgun next to her, took a shotgun in hand, gave the baby a bottle, and hoped they would go away. They didn't. The first guy finally broke down the door and was climbing over the couch with a 12" hunting knife in hand when she unloaded the shotgun in his chest. Not a kid, just some thug intent on doing harm. Perp number 2 decided it wasn't worth dying for and later turned himself over to the police.

I hate to justify a killing, it's a terrible thing, and this young lady will have to live with this the rest of her life, but if this happened more often, maybe fewer bad guys would be inclined to invite themselves into our homes, either to remove your Playstation or cause harm to innocent folks just trying to live their lives.
S&W Club #92, Snubbie club #92, The 21 Club #92, The Big Dawg club #1992
Old 02-24-2012, 14:07   #9
Dalton Wayne
CLM Number 239
Epic mustache

Send a message via MSN to Dalton Wayne Send a message via Skype™ to Dalton Wayne
That girl has Sand! good for her
Old 02-24-2012, 14:17   #10
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

She should be proud of her ability to protect herself and the baby. No one should be punished for fighting to survive criminal acts. She deserves a medal.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
Old 02-24-2012, 14:27   #11
jellis11
Yippee-ki-yay

Quote:
There are some ten year olds around where I live that could woop a group of people. They are huge. And who says there has to be a weapon!? People can kill you with just their hands as easily as with a weapon if they know how or are intent on doing it.

Good for the girl by the way.
Old 02-24-2012, 14:33   #12
KING-PIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy W View Post
That would be a sucky situation all around. Even though I may be justified in shooting (10 year olds can pull a trigger too,) I would feel really bad about it after the fact. Don't tell me you wouldn't feel any sadness after shooting a kid, even if necessary.
I know I should, and it's not normal to not, but the only feeling I would have would be that of having done a public service by saving taxpayers money down the road from having to house and fund the future criminal's incarceration. That's it. I'd sleep great.

I have worked in LE long enough to flat out be desensitized to all of that.

All of that said, I don't have kids and don't want them. I do however, care enough to not bring anyone into this horrible world.

Last edited by KING-PIN; 02-24-2012 at 14:35..
Old 02-24-2012, 17:08   #13
Jameson4all

Well I was just saying that I wouldn't just shoot because they are in my house. I realize every situation would warrant a different response, and I can't say what I would exactly do, but I wouldn't just see someone in my house and just shoot by default. Also I did not realize he was in the house earlier, in that case she did what she had to do.
Old 02-24-2012, 20:16   #14
High Altitude

General Firearms Forum
Old 02-24-2012, 20:40   #15
teumessian_fox

Quote:

Idiotic post. You have no idea what you would do.
Old 02-24-2012, 20:42   #16
teumessian_fox

Quote:
I can't say what I would exactly do, but I wouldn't just see someone in my house and just shoot by default.
So which is it? You can't say exactly what you would do? Or you wouldn't shoot by default?

You don't make sense.

Closed Thread