Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:28   #1
Nutt51

Generator Recommendation

Have been think about getting a good emergency generator in case of loss of power due to natural or man made disaster.
I have a freezer and two refrigerators and running a few lights or small appliances would be all I would need. Not looking for
a large home unit to run the whole house.
I have never owned any kind of generator, so I am looking for some recommendations by some of you more knowledgeable
folks out there who could give me some advice on different models and quality brands that I can research and make a decision on. Many thanks for the help.

"I figure that a man's only good for one oath at a time. I made mine to the Confederate States Of America".
"John Wayne", "The Searchers".
Nutt51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:40   #2
daystrom

It may not be the best generator but for the price and reliablity a Champion sold at Tractor Supply can't be beat. Just check out the reviews.

I have this one which is a 4000 watt 120/240 volt unit:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/champio...erator-4434023

We mostly use it for dry camping. It is quiet enough that it isn't going to rattle your neighbors head off like most contractor grade gen sets do. Starts on the first pull every time and Champion based out of California has excellent support. The model I have has a 120v / 30 amp RV plug which makes it perfect for us and our travel trailer. Runs our air-conditioner and microwave at the same time with no problems.

For a bit more you can get a 6000 watt:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/champio...el-kit-1026211

Remember watts=amps x volts so if you have a 2 refrigerators and freezer pulling 10 amps each you would need at least 3600 watts to run it. More watts is always better!

The quiet gens like Honda and Yamaha make are inverter based and are able to idle with little to no load. As soon as they sense a load they ramp their RPM's up to max and are just as noisy as the Champions. The Champions referenced above are running 100% no matter what the load. You will pay alot more for an inverter style too.

Last edited by daystrom; 02-29-2012 at 12:45..
daystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:52   #3
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

Gennies are a "get" what you pay for Item.'08.

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 13:06   #4
CorkyE

I bought a 6000w Champion from Costco for $599 - thought it was a good deal so I jumped on it. It's a rock steady unit so far...
Old 02-29-2012, 14:45   #5
Big Bird
NRA Life Member

Newer fridges and freezers have delicate electronic circuits and you have t make sure your generator is producing clean juice--inverter technology is best.

The small 2KW Honda Suitcase generators are safe to use with computers and other sensitive electronics. They run about $1k

“Est Nulla Via Invia Virute”
Big Bird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 15:03   #6
daystrom

Inverter is probably the best as far as clean juice goes but you are not going to be able to run big appliances with one. You'd have to buy multiple gen sets and run them in parallel. Think $$$$.
Old 02-29-2012, 15:26   #7
DoctaGlockta

I have a 6.5KW tri-fuel unit which I can plug into my panel and a smaller/quieter Yamaha 2KW unit as well. I went Yamaha over Honda for a variety of reasons but the Honda is a quality unit too.

I'd love to have a 10KW diesel or Natural Gas unit but that will have to wait for the next house.

- Barack Hussein Obama
DoctaGlockta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 15:43   #8
cowboy1964

Tri-fuel is a great idea. I'd love a little Yamaha, would be more than sufficient for my needs, but man the price.
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 15:49   #9
kckndrgn

Send a message via ICQ to kckndrgn Send a message via AIM to kckndrgn
As it has been said, gennies are a get what you pay for. That being said I got a "clearance" deal on a "briggs & stratton" generator at Lowes. 5500 running/8500 start, paid just under 400 for it.

Went to http://www.propane-generators.com/ and got a kit to convert my gas only generator to a tri-fuel. It was easy to install, and works great.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:40   #10
Devans0

A few years ago I splurged on a Honda 2000i. It was the first and only prep item that I bought. Along came a 500 year flood and I learned what prepping was about. Quiet doesn't announce that you are the only guy with power. Clean power meant hooking up with internet and computer when no one else could, which also meant the ability to get accurate real-time news. Saved my family's home and my mother's home.
I don't know if a cheaper generator would have worked as well, but I do know that when I needed it and nothing else was available for a few weeks, it paid for itself a hundred times over. My advise is to spend what you need to to get decent quality.

Last edited by Devans0; 03-01-2012 at 01:43..
Devans0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 17:31   #11
Jake514

Send a message via Yahoo to Jake514
I have a Honda EU2000i and it is quiet and good.
Jake514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 20:40   #12
squirreld

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctaGlockta View Post
I have a 6.5KW tri-fuel unit which I can plug into my panel and a smaller/quieter Yamaha 2KW unit as well.
Ditto.
I think the Yamaha YG2800I would work for you.
I have 2 frigs and a freezer and it will run them barely.
If its just the frigs/freezers and some lights, your golden.
Gonna half to make sure the frigs/freezers are off when you run your other small stuff.

YOU essentially turn into the electricity flow cop when you get a smaller gen.

Generators are a "Get what you pay for" item.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Part 1
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Part 2
squirreld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 21:18   #13
coastal4974

I’m holding out for a propane generator and a buried tank. I don’t trust gas especially with ethanol.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:30   #14
BierGut

Honda.

In the Northeast last year we had a couple of 500 year water events (Hurricane/Tropical Storm) damn near back to back and many in the region got a first hand look at the difference between the $500 generators and the $2500 generators. Whether or not I am justifying my purchase of the expensive Honda or not, three friend's cheap units crapped out when asked for a constant workload over the course of 5 to 10 days. Our Honda 5500/7500 peak unit purred along for a week and barely broke a sweat. A buddy's 15 year old Honda stored for 6 years in a race trailer with old treated fuel was pulled out and started on first pull... It eventually ended up at another buddy's house that ... you guessed it ... had one of the "better Home Depot" units crap out after 3 days and he was staring at losing thousands in meat.

Why mess around with cheap crap made for the yuppies to talk about over there latest month's wine selection on a Friday night? I know at least one of my neighbors will need to rely on at least some of my power so I just don't see taking a chance on "thinking" I'm prepared with a unit that some internet site recommends with a "high" review.

I didn't even touch on the clean power aspect versus those family center units... someone above touched on that, but with the type of electronics we all have in our homes it's just another reason to wait, save and purchase a real machine.

MHO -- YMMV
Safari Club International

BierGut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:08   #15
Kieller

A few months ago I purchased my first genny. I got the Honda EU2000i after a lot of research. I love the ability to hook up electronics or other sensitive equipment to it and not worry due to the built in inverter.

I had used a 1000i several times in the past and loved how quiet it was and the 2000i has essentially the same decibel rating. I paid $900 shipped from Mayberrys.

If you want quality and something that will last, buy a Honda. Simple as that.
Old 03-02-2012, 13:15   #16
wjv

In the hand luggable sizes, Yamaha 2000 or Honda 2000 are great.

You can always go read all of the generator threads over on RV.net as us RV'rs are very dependent on our gennys.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...s/forum/39.cfm

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false-face for the urge to rule it.
- H. L. Mencken -
wjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 15:45   #17
Carry16

I always hesitate to recommend my generator because everyone thinks I'm nuts for paying so mcuh for a portable 6500 watt genset. The Honda EU6500is I bought roughly 6 years ago has been thru two ice storms, one of which cost us our power for almost 2 weeks. This generator kept two freezers and two refrigerators running, plus the blower/electronics on a propane furnace, and a light or two. I would say I ran it for maybe 3-5 hours a day, although this was in 5 or 6 short runs. Most of the time the generator was idling. If you want peace of mind get a Honda or similar quality unit - you will never regret it.
Carry16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 16:32   #18
wjv

Quote:
Originally Posted by daystrom View Post
The quiet gens like Honda and Yamaha make are inverter based and are able to idle with little to no load. As soon as they sense a load they ramp their RPM's up to max and are just as noisy as the Champions.
I have a 1500W Champion and a 2000W Yamaha. Going FULL blast the Yamaha is still half as loud as the Champion. Better muffler and better sound insulation on the body.

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false-face for the urge to rule it.
- H. L. Mencken -
wjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 18:11   #19
Teddy57

Yes you get what you pay for...the tractor supply, hardware store brands are junk, pure and simple. The only way I'd consider one is if they were powered by a Honda. I had a EB6500 at camp and currently have a EU3000Is and I can tell you first hand that they are the best. Cannot speak for Yamaha, but a friend has had a lot of reliability problems with his 4500.
Teddy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 18:45   #20
Crazy KD

Northern Tool generators use Honda power along with a couple of other ones. The other consideration is you might have 2 fridges and 1 freezer, but you do not have to run them all at the same time. Another words you can buy a quality small generator that can power one at a time and simply run each for a couple of hours per day.
Crazy KD is offline   Reply With Quote