CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

SD Lawmakers Approve Concealed Weapons Carry Bill

http://www.kdlt.com/index.php?option...5727&Itemid=57
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 15:27   #2
RussP

This is good...

When the Governor signs it, the bill will let South Dakota residents carry concealed weapons within the state without a permit if they have a valid driver's license and would meet current requirements for getting a concealed pistol permit.

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 15:59   #3
xmanhockey7

It's an improvement. It's great that they are not requiring one to be 21. Although I don't think one should be required to obtain a license to drive a car to be able to carry a gun. Ideally this new law allows SD residents and visitors to be able to carry concealed without any license or permit.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:06   #4
pokey074
The F.O. Man

I don't see the problem, but I'd rather see us go to an AK/AZ/VT style no-permit system. I don't see how this would allow visitors to carry without a permit though as it requires a SD driver license. Kind of a moot point as SD recognizes the carry permits of every other state to include those who don't require one.
pokey074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 23:02   #5
Caver 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussP View Post
This is good...

When the Governor signs it, the bill will let South Dakota residents carry concealed weapons within the state without a permit if they have a valid driver's license and would meet current requirements for getting a concealed pistol permit.
I hate to be the one to ask this, but how would an LEO making a routine stop know that someone 'meets the current requirements for getting a concealed pistol permit?'

ETA I went here:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

SD current law does have some pretty easy requirements as compared to many states. But still there a couple of items I wonder about. How about signing that statement you must sign? Or some of the qualifications, would they show up on a routine run of a drivers license?

Last edited by Caver 60; 03-02-2012 at 23:15..
Caver 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 00:40   #6
pokey074
The F.O. Man

Except in the case of probation/parole/protection order, they wouldn't, unless maybe they knew the person. This is more of an after the fact thing to allow charges to be brought against a turd that shouldn't have been carrying in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caver 60 View Post
I hate to be the one to ask this, but how would an LEO making a routine stop know that someone 'meets the current requirements for getting a concealed pistol permit?'
pokey074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:48   #7
unit1069

I'm hoping "reciprocity" will eventually allow anyone from any state to CCW if that person fulfills all the legal requirements in his/her home state.
Old 03-03-2012, 14:39   #8
xmanhockey7

All the person should need at the very most is some form of state issued ID. Whether it be a DL or a state ID. Same goes for visitors.
Old 03-03-2012, 18:34   #9
unit1069

There's a valid argument to be made that some citizens should not have easy access to firearms. I understand that argument and would answer it as follows:

Once upon a time in America firearms were carried by all citizens and the responsibility for the lawful uses of the firearms rested squarely with those who bore arms.

America under the influence of alien ideologies has drifted far from individual responsibility, but in this particular case America can help restore itself by lawfully arming all able-bodied men and women. By doing so --- and emphasizing individual responsibility --- America can buttress individual Second Amendment rights while putting the onus on unlawful/irresponsible use of firearms on the perpetrators instead of the Radical Left whipping boy "society".

I realize this is a judgement call, but studying the advancement of CCW law/drop in crime rates it seems to me it's advantageous to recognize and respect individual rights as the better way to curb irresponsible/criminal abuse of our rights.
Old 03-03-2012, 22:00   #10
larson1122

Hopefully more states will catch on and eliminate the need for a CCW permit process.
larson1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 16:09   #11
cowboy1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit1069 View Post
Once upon a time in America firearms were carried by all citizens.
There was a never a time when ALL citizens carried, or even a majority. Let's not get crazy.
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote