Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:48   #1
73Ranger100

Glock 17 holsters

Hey does anyone know of a good small of the back (SOB) holster for a 17 Gen 4. Also looking for a good IDPA holster for the same pistol.
73Ranger100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:10   #2
plouffedaddy

http://gunreviewguy.blogspot.com/201...r-reviews.html

For small of the back I recommend Theis. IDPA, maybe a Don Hume 721...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Certified Glock Armorer
plouffedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:10   #3
davsco

idpa would be blackhawk serpa if you want retention. bladetech doh if you don't (but need to remove the offset piece for idpa).
davsco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:43   #4
Bren
NRA Life Member

I have a Galco SOB. Pretty good holster for summer carrry under a shirt, but I don't use it often. For IDPA I like either the non-serpa Blackhawks or Blade Tech.

Last edited by Bren; 03-01-2012 at 08:50..
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:20   #5
EAJuggalo

Send a message via AIM to EAJuggalo Send a message via Yahoo to EAJuggalo

Have you carried a large firearm SOB previously? If not I wouldn't start now, it is generally considered about the worst possible carry position, no matter how cool it looks on TV and in the movies. Why would you want a large blocky object sitting directly over the base of your spine where it's going to cause all kinds of problems if you slip and fall on your back. There is also a tendency for cover garments to get caught on the firearm leaving it completely exposed to everyone but you.

I'm partial to Comp-Tac for synthetic holsters, Sideguard Holsters for leather. If you want a real challenge, shoot IDPA with your carry rig.
Updated 3-22-13
EAJuggalo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:23   #6
robert91922

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAJuggalo View Post
Have you carried a large firearm SOB previously? If not I wouldn't start now, it is generally considered about the worst possible carry position, no matter how cool it looks on TV and in the movies. Why would you want a large blocky object sitting directly over the base of your spine where it's going to cause all kinds of problems if you slip and fall on your back. There is also a tendency for cover garments to get caught on the firearm leaving it completely exposed to everyone but you.

I'm partial to Comp-Tac for synthetic holsters, Sideguard Holsters for leather. If you want a real challenge, shoot IDPA with your carry rig.
+1 agree 100%
even if you never fall or get hit at SOB holster this kind of carrying might get you some health problem from body moisture got between holster and skin - it's my own experience, not hearsay. I would never carry that way again.

Last edited by robert91922; 02-29-2012 at 07:26..
robert91922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 15:11   #7
Veedubklown

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAJuggalo View Post

It's also impossible to get at in a car, from the driving position, and when you crouch, you either print or show off to everyone.

+1 for IDPA with your carry rig. That's what I do, and I love it.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:19   #8
Badger54
CLM Number 277
Charter Lifetime Member

I have to agree I have a Desantis SOB holster that rarely gets used. Its not possible to draw from when in the car not to mention uncomfortable. I personally feel that a compact glock or larger pistol is too large for that type of carry. And it prints or shows really easily as others have said without you being aware of it. Standing in the line at a store with you being unaware your gun is on display is not a good thing.
Badger54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:51   #9
Bren
NRA Life Member

I forgot to mention - Glocktalkers also live in fear of falling on their backs and being paralyzed by a gun carried there, so if you want an SOB holster, don't mention it here.
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 16:25   #10
Veedubklown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
I forgot to mention - Glocktalkers also live in fear of falling on their backs and being paralyzed by a gun carried there, so if you want an SOB holster, don't mention it here.
My dad mexican carried a 1911 when he drove truck. Years of abuse to his lower spine. It's not about GT, it's about experience. If it's comfortable to you, no one's stoppin ya, just trying to save you some grief we all went through.
Old 03-01-2012, 21:18   #11
dr_hefley

I use a SideArmor for IDPA. It works great for me. I'm going to use it for USPSA also when I get started in that a couple of weeks from now.
dr_hefley is offline   Reply With Quote