Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-02-2012, 16:03   #1
dsb1829

New IDPA rig

Built up on a used Gen3 rig:
Glock 22 Gen3
Dawson Precision sights (mid width front, ribbed black rear)
Wilson Combat Match barrel

The .40 S&W Club

The .40 S&W Club

The .40 S&W Club
dsb1829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 16:07   #2
msoprano

i like it. how do you like those sights?
msoprano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 16:10   #3
dsb1829

Not sure yet. I really like my TruGlo TFO on my G20, but they are a bit busy. I am hoping with the ribbed rear and narrow FO front I can pick them up faster. I just put them on this morning. Unfortunately tornado warnings all day, so no trigger time yet.
Old 03-02-2012, 16:37   #4
davsco

sights similar to the warren/sevigny i have on mine, nice. way faster target acquisition than stock sights.

you running regular power .40? will be giving a little up to most of the folk shooting low-recoiling 9mm. i started idpa/uspsa with a 35 and tried the lower-power .40 but operation wasn't very reliable and i didn't feel like screwing around with springs, etc, so ended up just getting a 34 (9mm) for these games.

love to hear what size groups you can get with that wilson barrel.
davsco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 16:45   #5
dsb1829

My ammo is under major PF, but still well above the minor floor. I am loading a 180g lead TCBB bullet from Magnus bullets to 850-900fps.

Groups look good with this ammo and combination. I had about 20rd in a 2in circle at 10yd offhand shooting. I will have to bench test it as I am the major cause of bad groups.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:21   #6
HalfHazzard
Señor Member

Care to show the belt, holster, and mag carrier you use for IDPA?
Old 03-03-2012, 12:28   #7
dsb1829

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfHazzard View Post
Care to show the belt, holster, and mag carrier you use for IDPA?
Belt is the same I wear daily, holster is a Fobus Paddle, and the mag holder is an ITAC paddle. Not much to see. I may invest in some bladetech stuff and a nicer carry belt, but I am broke at the moment after building this. Additional upgrades will need to wait for the piggy bank to refill
Old 03-11-2012, 10:36   #8
bac1023

Very nice

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:38   #9
dsb1829

Following up:
I am really liking the Dawson sights. The FO is much more precise than others I have seen, yet is still easy to pick up while shooting. I have ordered one of their fronts for my 1911 as well.

I have about 400rd down-range, mostly light power factor lead, and am happy to report 100% reliability out of the combination. I pulled a couple of shots in my last IDPA match, but if those two targets were ignored I would have had the best accuracy of anyone there. So if you take me out of the equation the gun is most impressive
Old 03-28-2012, 19:25   #10
dsb1829

1st FTF @ somewhere in the 600-700rd range. Not sure if it was dirt/grit, bad grip leaning around a weak side barricade, or just a fluke. All in all it is doing good in my book reliability-wise.
Old 03-28-2012, 19:34   #11
TSAX
USAF Vet

, nice set up

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

GSSF Member

NRA Member
TSAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 13:12   #12
SDGlock23
Glockoholic

Cool setup, it should work well. I only use my KKM bbl for lead, just trying to keep it stock you know. Fiber optic front sight helps, but since I use my carry/home guns, my 22 (and 23 and 19) have Glock night sights.
Old 04-25-2012, 13:15   #13
itstime

I really like that sir.
itstime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 13:20   #14
4TS&W
2A RKBA 4EVER

SWEET!

I've been thinking about picking up a leo trade in and doing this very thing..
4TS&W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 20:13   #15
Veedubklown

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4TS&W View Post
SWEET!

I've been thinking about picking up a leo trade in and doing this very thing..
I don't see the benifit in IDPA for 40S&W over 9mm. More muzzle flip and higher boxed ammo prices,

Everything else I dig, I'd just do it with a 19 or 17 instead.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:07   #16
dsb1829

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veedubklown View Post
I don't see the benifit in IDPA for 40S&W over 9mm. More muzzle flip and higher boxed ammo prices,

To each their own. I chose the .40 so that I could share bullets with my 10mm. So lowering my overall cost of shooting by buying in bulk. Also the .40 is a better choice for a switch hitter. It is easy to run it at the same power factor as a 9mm or it can run major with ease. Other benefit for me is the cartridge size. I have big hands and it is just easier to handle the larger rounds. Last pro for me is that I can see the larger holes. When rounds aren't limited I can take another shot to clean up a lower score. Or I can see if I miss a head shot at 15-20yd. I can't see the 9mm as well.

I have been playing with a Clays load that is very soft shooting. I did have to change out to a 13lb ISMI recoil spring to make it run this load though.

If you are running off the shelf ammo the 9mm will be cheaper and more competitive.

Last edited by dsb1829; 04-28-2012 at 07:09..
Old 04-28-2012, 22:03   #17
Veedubklown

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsb1829 View Post
To each their own. I chose the .40 so that I could share bullets with my 10mm. So lowering my overall cost of shooting by buying in bulk. Also the .40 is a better choice for a switch hitter. It is easy to run it at the same power factor as a 9mm or it can run major with ease. Other benefit for me is the cartridge size. I have big hands and it is just easier to handle the larger rounds. Last pro for me is that I can see the larger holes. When rounds aren't limited I can take another shot to clean up a lower score. Or I can see if I miss a head shot at 15-20yd. I can't see the 9mm as well.

I have been playing with a Clays load that is very soft shooting. I did have to change out to a 13lb ISMI recoil spring to make it run this load though.

If you are running off the shelf ammo the 9mm will be cheaper and more competitive.
All very good points sir, and it appears you've found your match
Old 04-29-2012, 08:32   #18
Schrag4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veedubklown View Post

For me, sometimes I shoot 9mm and sometimes I shoot 40S&W. I generally do a little better with the 9mm but I'm there to have fun and get some practice with the guns I have for home defense. Although I understand that A LOT of people treat the sport as just a game and shoot with something they don't carry, I don't see it that way. Isn't the spirit of IDPA (or at least was initially) supposed to be a "shoot what you carry" type thing? Are you even allowed to use a non-OEM barrel? Sorry for my ignorance, I'm no expert.
Schrag4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 19:45   #19
ADK_40GLKr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrag4 View Post
For me, sometimes I shoot 9mm and sometimes I shoot 40S&W. I generally do a little better with the 9mm but I'm there to have fun and get some practice with the guns I have for home defense. Although I understand that A LOT of people treat the sport as just a game and shoot with something they don't carry, I don't see it that way. Isn't the spirit of IDPA (or at least was initially) supposed to be a "shoot what you carry" type thing? Are you even allowed to use a non-OEM barrel? Sorry for my ignorance, I'm no expert.
In local club practice they allow me to use the LWD 40-9 conversion in my G27, as well as to load 9mm in a couple of my .40 mags as I only have 4 9mm mags.

I'm sure I would have to use OEM in SSP. Not so positive about ESP, though. (I notice the classifying scores have to be higher if you're shooting Enhanced as opposed to Stock.)
Old 04-30-2012, 22:48   #20
dsb1829

So long as you are shooting the stock caliber and same barrel config there is no issue with an aftermarket barrel. Even recoil springs and such can be reduced and still run SSP IIRC. It is once you start adding aftermarket ergonomics, mag wells, conversion barrels, and non-stock non-replacement parts you have to bump up to ESP. I am no expert. To date I have only shot informal IDPA league that one of the local ranges has on Monday nights.