GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-15-2012, 16:12   #21
flyandscuba

I ditched my G36 in favor of the G38 - but you're not alone, because the 45 GAP gets little respect as well...

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Old 03-30-2012, 13:02   #22
ArLEOret

G36 frame modification

I loved my G36 but used my Dremel to modify the frame a bit. I
Relieved the underside of the trigger guard where it meets the front strap, removed the "hook" on the front of the trigger guard and made the feel of the grip higher and the accuracy better. I have done the same thing to my G26,19, and my G23 (with LWD 40 to 9 barrel). It's not myEDC but comes close, especially at night when I go out for fast food. Stay safe!
ArLEOret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:17   #23
fasteddie565
Combat Diver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockback View Post
Many, I'm sure.
The G36 has always been the most controversial of Glock models. So many stories about it: failures to feed, failures to extract, jams, blah blah blah ...
I can't speak for others. I'm not saying it hasn't happened or that every failure is user-oriented. I honestly just don't know.
All I know is that mine works every time.
'Tis a mystery.
Let me start by saying I love my G 36, it was my EDC for about 3 years. I bought it used, so it had maybe 1000 rds through it. I put another 5k rds through it, not the best ammo, Wolf, Blazer as well as quality range and CCW ammo.

One day, my beloved G 36 pooped the bed, hard. Since the it has been a nightmare of FTF FTE. I believe it has to do with the RSA. I installed an aftermarket RSA, still no joy. I am not going to rebuild it with stock parts. This situation drives me crazy as I love this little gun.

Not to seem vaine, but I am a retired Special Forces Officer, Gunsite graduate and train others to shoot for a living. Just to dispel the limp wrist / shooter error comments. This gun worked flawlessly for several years.

Hopefully the rebuild will solve the issues.

My question to all of you is "How many rds do you have through your respective pistols? "Has anyone else had these issues..." FlyandScuba, I too went to a GAP (38 and 39) but mostly I now carry my Kimber Ultra Super carry, which after a little tuning, has been relentlessly dependable.

Thoughts?
Old 04-03-2012, 16:21   #24
Chipotle

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddie565 View Post
One day, my beloved G 36 pooped the bed, hard. Since the it has been a nightmare of FTF FTE. I believe it has to do with the RSA. I installed an aftermarket RSA, still no joy. I am not going to rebuild it with stock parts. This situation drives me crazy as I love this little gun.

Not to seem vaine, but I am a retired Special Forces Officer, Gunsite graduate and train others to shoot for a living. Just to dispel the limp wrist / shooter error comments. This gun worked flawlessly for several years.

Thoughts?
I hear you on the limp-wrist thing. Boy, that gets old.

This is the first time I've heard of a G36 'going bad'. It may not be the same issue that I or others had.

There were 10+ GT members with defective G36's (FTF issues) back in 2009 when I sued Glock over my G36. You can find their names and comments at the site.

The rumors are true despite the best efforts of some loyalists.

I had high hopes to carrying a G36 - it made perfect sense weight-wise, capacity-wise, caliber-wise, size-wise for CCW.

I landed a dud. Most don't. Glock treated me like s**t for 8 months and has never acknowledged the G36 defect possibilities. I sued and won.

My advice has been consistent in these 2+ years: put 100 rounds through a used or new G36 before you pay.

Why would a seller say "no"?
Chipotle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 16:55   #25
Pecos Bill

Limp Wrist is an issue with many light guns. Those of us that are aware of the issue adjust without even thinking about it. I shoot mine fine. 500+ with no issues. My cousin couldn't get through a magazine without FTE's almost every other shot. Then there is what you have, just a plain bad gun. Mine is from the dreaded 2009 production year. I bought it used and didn't know anything about the troubles. Just happy I got my 1st Glock. I love my G36 it is my EDC Really glad mine turned out to be good or else the guy in front of me had it fixed. Either way, I like it.
Pecos Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 17:27   #26
Lockback
Polymerlicious!

Quote:
Let me start by saying I love my G 36, it was my EDC for about 3 years. I bought it used, so it had maybe 1000 rds through it. I put another 5k rds through it, not the best ammo, Wolf, Blazer as well as quality range and CCW ammo.

Hopefully the rebuild will solve the issues.

My question to all of you is "How many rds do you have through your respective pistols? "Has anyone else had these issues..." FlyandScuba, I too went to a GAP (38 and 39) but mostly I now carry my Kimber Ultra Super carry, which after a little tuning, has been relentlessly dependable.

Thoughts?
I agree that the limp wrist thing is overdone. A good buddy of mine, who is a terrific shooter, has had a lot of problems with his G32 using factory ammo ... and I guarantee you it isn't from limp wristing.
Just out of curiosity, why wouldn't you use a stock RSA to replace your original? The original apparently lasted about 6,000 rounds. I have a spare Glock recoil spring assembly I bought new at a gun show for $24.00. If I have to spend that money every 6,000 rounds, I can't complain.
Lockback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 18:27   #27
GLOCK17DB9

Well I just gave it some respect! I purchased one on Saturday. Tomorrow I will see how much I love it!
Old 04-04-2012, 05:31   #28
fasteddie565
Combat Diver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecos Bill View Post
Limp Wrist is an issue with many light guns. Those of us that are aware of the issue adjust without even thinking about it. I shoot mine fine. 500+ with no issues. My cousin couldn't get through a magazine without FTE's almost every other shot. Then there is what you have, just a plain bad gun. Mine is from the dreaded 2009 production year. I bought it used and didn't know anything about the troubles. Just happy I got my 1st Glock. I love my G36 it is my EDC Really glad mine turned out to be good or else the guy in front of me had it fixed. Either way, I like it.

Bill you make some valid points. I carried mine for 3 years without issue. I now carry a Kimber Ultra Super carry (Another subcompact 45 acp) that runs like a scalded ape humping a singer sewing machine.

I am in the process of transitioning to a G 30 SF or one of the 45 GAP pistols. I would love to get my old G 36 back.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:34   #29
fasteddie565
Combat Diver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockback View Post
I agree that the limp wrist thing is overdone. A good buddy of mine, who is a terrific shooter, has had a lot of problems with his G32 using factory ammo ... and I guarantee you it isn't from limp wristing.
Just out of curiosity, why wouldn't you use a stock RSA to replace your original? The original apparently lasted about 6,000 rounds. I have a spare Glock recoil spring assembly I bought new at a gun show for $24.00. If I have to spend that money every 6,000 rounds, I can't complain.
Um because I am a bonehead and meant to say WILL replace with stock parts. Advice from my Glock Armorer, especially since the after market RSA did not solve the problem. You are correct, $25 per 6k rds is a sound investment.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:46   #30
fasteddie565
Combat Diver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle View Post
I hear you on the limp-wrist thing. Boy, that gets old.

This is the first time I've heard of a G36 'going bad'. It may not be the same issue that I or others had.

There were 10+ GT members with defective G36's (FTF issues) back in 2009 when I sued Glock over my G36. You can find their names and comments at the site.

The rumors are true despite the best efforts of some loyalists.

I had high hopes to carrying a G36 - it made perfect sense weight-wise, capacity-wise, caliber-wise, size-wise for CCW.

I landed a dud. Most don't. Glock treated me like s**t for 8 months and has never acknowledged the G36 defect possibilities. I sued and won.

My advice has been consistent in these 2+ years: put 100 rounds through a used or new G36 before you pay.

Why would a seller say "no"?
Chipotle,

Thanks for the note.

I remember reading about your plight several years ago. I have the exact same malfunctions.....

Last edited by fasteddie565; 07-22-2012 at 11:28..
fasteddie565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:11   #31
Chipotle

Quote:
Chipotle,

Thanks for the note.

I remember reading about your plight several years ago. I have the exact same malfunctions.....
FastEddie565:

Pic #1 looks familiar, but not sure about pic #2. Pic #1 is the same issue that I and others had, and it proves that 'limp-wristing' is clearly not the source. See my pictures.

Limp-wristing suggests weakness in the grip, wrist or arm tension, and that weakness is absorbing more recoil than the gun was designed for. Hence, the slide fails to fully come back to grab the next round.

The mf that was the subject of my beef with Glock, and appears to be the issue in your first picture, was that the slide DID come back all the way and grab the next round. The problem was it failed to pull the spent case all the way out and eject it from the pistol.

Slide function or grip strength wasn't the cause - failure to extract/eject the spent casing was the problem. A limp-wrist mf can be cleared with a tap-rack - this G36 mf cannot.

Glock replaced my extractor twice over those 8 months. That did not solve the problem.

I've spent a lot of $$$ trying to find a good single-stack .45. I'm on my fifth 1911 (SA Loaded Champion). It is sweet, and *almost* as good as I had expected the G36 to be. In hindsight, I should have played the odds and just bought another G36.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:03   #32
fasteddie565
Combat Diver

I did exactly that. But I sold it after I thought I had he issue solved with the new RSA. Doh
Old 04-05-2012, 12:00   #33
hdr1trip

G 36 works for me

I'm new here,and new to the G 36, had it for two months and fired about 500 rounds. love it,shoots where I point it.
have a 1911 and S&W mod. 66, shoot both at indoor range to stay proficient ...
hdr1trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 14:12   #34
highfructosecornsyrp

I got a crazy deal on a 36, couldn't walk away from it. Since then I have contemplated trading it away, but the longer I have it the more I realize it truly is the best concealed carry gun I could buy. The only thing that could give it a run for it's money is a subcompact 1911. However, because those things cost twice as much as this glock, the glock wins.

The only improvement I could make is for them to offer a 5 round magazine that fits flush. Honestly, a 6 shooter is enough for me and I can carry a reload or two so...what's important is how well the thing carries and massive capacity tends to bring down carryability...I wish that guy that made a 5 round magazine was still around, I'd like to buy a magazine and make one...

Anyone know how to do it, please PM me...I don't understand whether he used the bottom or top of the baseplate after grinding it down...
highfructosecornsyrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 15:16   #35
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertEagle View Post
There was a story posted on GT, a long time ago, of a member (IIRC) who had to defend himself and his loved one. Long story, most of it not relevant to this post, but he faced multiple attackers, and it took 9 rounds to end the confrontation I believe, and other attackers fled in the force of overwhelming response rather than press the attack which would have required even more rounds.

Average may be 2. Do you want to be the one caught without if you wind up in an "above average" situation? Carry as much as you can. Sorta goes with shoot the biggest caliber that's comfortable. Sure a man with .22 holes is less likely to want to hurt you than a man with no holes - but a man with 9mm holes, .40 holes, .45 holes, etc might be even more disinclined to do you harm.

That is why with one in the chamber and six in the mag and a extra mag in my rear jeans ocket I now got 13 rds of 230gr 45's. If that does not work I am screwed any way.

6/7 is generally going to be enough in most all cases, but if one feels the need for a different senerio may happen to me case, then simply pop another mag in your pocket...

CM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Jesus said: You who are without sin cast the first stone.. John 8: 7
CanyonMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 15:30   #36
Chipotle

Here is a G36 in action. Two shots to the stomach was more than enough.

Shooting was last year up in Dayton.

Link to video.

Link to story at Ohio Concealed Carry Org.

The Ohio Concealed Carry site has a forum where there is a LONG thread on this shooting, which includes the shooter and a bunch of Facebook screenshots of the assailants talking smack among their friends. If you have a few hours to kill...
Old 04-05-2012, 18:36   #37
Lockback
Polymerlicious!

Quote:
Um because I am a bonehead and meant to say WILL replace with stock parts. Advice from my Glock Armorer, especially since the after market RSA did not solve the problem. You are correct, $25 per 6k rds is a sound investment.
Ahhhh, that makes sense.

Overall, particularly with Glocks, I'm a believer in stock parts replacements.
Glad you like your Kimber Ultra Super Carry. Another terrific compact .45!
Old 04-05-2012, 18:37   #38
Lockback
Polymerlicious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle View Post
Here is a G36 in action. Two shots to the stomach was more than enough.

Shooting was last year up in Dayton.

Link to video.

Link to story at Ohio Concealed Carry Org.

The Ohio Concealed Carry site has a forum where there is a LONG thread on this shooting, which includes the shooter and a bunch of Facebook screenshots of the assailants talking smack among their friends. If you have a few hours to kill...
Great links.
I never saw that the G36 was specifically mentioned but I know you're a man of your word and take your word on it.

Last edited by Lockback; 04-05-2012 at 18:38..
Old 04-05-2012, 20:12   #39
Mc45

Maybe my friends here can help me? I carry a G30SF every day in one of two IBW holsters it is very comfortable I almost forget its there. It shoots great and I've had no issues. But I have a desire for a more compact 45 acp the G36 is the same size frame with less capacity which I'm willing to loose but I can't see buying the same gun with less capacity. Has anyone shot or do they own a Kahr CW45 or a PM45? That's what I'm leaning to. I looked at a PM45 today the spring was so strong I had a hard time getting it locked open but it felt great in my hand. Has any one had any experience with Kahr arms? I'm looking for some trusted advice here so any ideas about compact 45s is greatly appreciated.
Thanks. Mc45

Bogey sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mc45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 22:14   #40
SK2344

I don't pay much attention to what the so called experts say! I have always carried the gun that I think is best suited for my needs at the time. My choice for a 9mm Duty weapon was the G19 and my EDC is now the G36. I should have gone to the G36 many years ago and it would have saved me much money on other guns and holsters. I also love my G30SF which I have as a car gun and I still have my original EDC, the G26. These 4 Glocks are all that I need and all that I will ever want and as for the so called experts .......... who cares what they think!
SK2344 is offline   Reply With Quote