Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:31   #1
bymorris

Glock 17 Holster Question?

Looking for a holster for my Glock 17 (Gen 4)

Again I am a newbie, so I might ask some dumb questions. Does anybody have any pictures with their Glock 17 in their holsters?

What kind of holsters are the most popular? Are there any I should stay away from?

I'm looking to get my slide chrome so I def. don't want a holster that will not scratch the slide.

Just curious on every bodies thoughts.
bymorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:47   #2
arushus
Biggest Member

Do you want an inside the waistband or outside the waistband holster. For OWB, a lot of people like the glock holster, for IWB, I highly recommend a "hybrid" holster. I went with White Hat Holsters. Their max-tuck holster is simply amazing. And they are one of very few companies that offer different designs on their kydex. And they have an "antique black" horsehide backing that I went with on mine that is beautiful. Here is a pic of mine...
Spike's Tactical Enhanced CHF 16" Mid-Length M4
These Red Letters Help me find my post!!!

Last edited by arushus; 01-08-2013 at 13:48..
arushus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:29   #3
bymorris

Thanks arushus

I just looked up "white hat" and I found some great videos on YouTube.

I found this really helpful.

(vid)
Old 03-07-2012, 09:43   #4
arushus
Biggest Member

Theyre a great company! I spent ten or fifteen minutes on the phone with the owner, Tony Farah, the other day, and even though he is busy, he stayed on the phone with me thoroughly answering every question I had. I didnt feel like he was rushing me off the phone at all. He is very customer oriented! He treats his customers how he would want to be treated. I had ordered the holster for my G27, and was telling him I was thinking of getting a 19 or 23 sometime soon and that Id be ordering another kydex from him for it (he makes holsters so that if you have a few different guns you can just exchange the kydex on the same leather backing, kind of saves money instead of having to order an entirely new holster.) Well he mentioned that if I just ordered my holster to fit a 19 or 23 to begin with, it would also fit my 27 perfectly! So instead of him just letting me go ahead and order another kydex on down the road when I bought another gun, he went out of his way and tipped me off to that fact, so he was more or less taking money out of his pocket from my future kydex purchase, and putting it in mine! I dont believe many business owners would have done that...In return I told him I would spread the word about his holsters and how good he treats his customers.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:15   #5
bymorris

Wow.

Now that is great customer service!
Old 03-07-2012, 11:41   #6
bymorris

arushus - Is your White Hat a "cowhide" or "Horsehide"?

From reading it sounds like the "cowhide" would be more comfortable right?
Old 03-07-2012, 11:43   #7
arushus
Biggest Member

I got the antique horsehide. Cowhide is a little softer at first, but it soaks up and allows sweat to make it to the gun a lot easier than horsehide. And once you break it in the horsehide will feel just as soft as the cowhide. Since I sweat a lot, and since I really liked the look of the antique black, I opted for horsehide.

If you wont be sweating a lot, and only carrying for short periods of time, the cowhide may be a better choice.

But you should always feel free to call tony at white hat, he's a really nice guy and will answer all your questions more in depth than Ican.

Last edited by arushus; 03-07-2012 at 11:47..
Old 03-07-2012, 11:49   #8
arushus
Biggest Member

Not that I mind answering your questions at all, just he has better info than I do.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:36   #9
djlorenza

I would go with White Hat Holsters... Heck I went with White hat holsters. Here are pics of my setup they custom made the Kydex to fit my LTG-736 at no extra cost. The holster I got was the maxtuck horse hide "Cowboy Black" price was very reasonable I got it with J hooks and I have ordered the full set of hooks to see what will best suit my needs. However I think I will use all of them with dif. setups. I like the fact that you can order replacement Kydex for other types of guns... so 1 back multiple kydex shells you can choose what to carry when with the twist of flat head screw driver on 6 bolts you are set... They offer GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE!
Attached Thumbnails
Carry Issues - Click for larger version   Carry Issues - Click for larger version   Carry Issues - Click for larger version   Carry Issues - Click for larger version  
djlorenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:38   #10
BUG'S

Comp-tac
BUG'S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:38   #11
ithaca_deerslayer

I prefer all kydex. Mainly because they are not affected by moisture/sweat.

But the hybrid leather/kydex do seem to be gaining in popularity.

Last edited by ithaca_deerslayer; 03-09-2012 at 08:39..
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:24   #12
djlorenza

I see your point... I do have to say though I live in AZ and even though I have not used this yet during the full summer (comming real soon) it is already in the 80's over here and I carry mine from the moment I get dressed for work in the AM until I put my pj's on to go to bed and it is comfy and have had no issues with moisture and or sweat around the holster where it could possibly imprint with sweat through my shirt. I do not use undershirt either... So will let you know how it holds up through the summer. I did choose horsehide for the purpose of avoiding sweat buildup and moisture issues...
Old 03-09-2012, 09:29   #13
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithaca_deerslayer View Post
I prefer all kydex. Mainly because they are not affected by moisture/sweat.

But the hybrid leather/kydex do seem to be gaining in popularity.
I love the look/feel of leather, but use mostly kydex myself for because of moisture/sweat.

I'll have to take a look at the new hybrids.

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”

Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 15:52   #14
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

So, you don't like scratches on your gun? Then you're a lot like me. I've got lots and lots of scratches on my Glocks that I really don't like; but, then again, 90% of the time I'm drawing out of Blade-Tech custom Kydex speed holsters; and, there's just no way to constantly avoid those little screws on the inside of the holster every time you draw.

The only (fully) Kydex holsters I know of that absolutely won't scratch your Glock are Blackhawk SERPA holsters; however, those button locks are NOT for everyone. You really do need to understand and get used to them.

Would you like to know the one holster that will not scratch your Glock and is, also, widely used by many of the longtime pistoleros I know? Personally, I think it's one of the very best Glock holsters on the planet!

http://www.kramerleather.com/product...&categoryID=23

(Hang onto your wallet!)
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 16:06   #15
EL COLONEL

Kramer iwb #3 ....
Old 03-10-2012, 06:54   #16
EAJuggalo

Send a message via AIM to EAJuggalo Send a message via Yahoo to EAJuggalo

You're going to get scratches on a carry gun, it's an inevitability. Holsters are for the most part personal preferences, what works for me, or TBO or Arc Angel just may not work for you. That said for IWB I'm partial to the MTAC from Comp-Tac, if you want kydex only although I think it's a little less comfortable, the C.T.A.C. from Comp-Tac gets my vote. For OWB I usually carry in a Double Snap from www.sideguardholsters.com but I really want to get a Bianchi CarryLok. I personally like the Blackhawk SERPA that Arc Angel talked about, for OC or competition. I don't think it conceals very well at all and he's absolutely correct, that button release is not for everyone, some people end up with their finger on the trigger and have NDs that way. I've never had a problem with it but have seen that problem on the firing line in competition.
Updated 3-22-13
EAJuggalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:01   #17
EAJuggalo

Send a message via AIM to EAJuggalo Send a message via Yahoo to EAJuggalo

One further thing I try to mention to everyone who asks holster advice. The best holster in the world will let you down if it hangs on a crappy belt. Get a good gun belt before you make any decisions on holsters. I like Looper Leather, and am probably going to get a Wilderness Frequent Flyer this summer. I've heard nothing but good things about The Beltman, and I'm sure others will chime in with their personal favorites. The only real gunbelt I've been disappointed in was from Galco, it was in their COP line, it stretched out horribly bad in less than two years. The guy I sold it to was very happy with it though.
Updated 3-22-13
EAJuggalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:01   #18
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAJuggalo View Post
....... I personally like the Blackhawk SERPA that Arc Angel talked about, for OC or competition. I don't think it conceals very well at all and he's absolutely correct, that button release is not for everyone, some people end up with their finger on the trigger and have NDs that way. I've never had a problem with it but have seen that problem on the firing line in competition.
Timely advice! A good warning, too! This being said, I do use SERPA holsters - Not for EDC, but while I'm on the range. (You're right, a SERPA doesn't conceal worth a damn.)
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 18:10   #19
djlorenza

Have been using my white hat holster, horse hide daily in AZ with temps ranging from 70 - 90+ degrees with 0 problems from sweat. I love this holster thinking of getting another for left side for BUG. Has anyone tried using 2 of these type of IWB. If so what you think G17G4 on right side G19C on left...
Old 04-03-2012, 15:33   #20
X-Concealment
NRA Cert.FI/RSO

Are you going to CCW your G17? A good holster choice should start from your preference. If you are big and tall, conceal a G17 won't be any problem. IWB is always the best choice for summer time. however, whit a good holster and belt, OWB is not imposible. It all depends on what would you use it for and how would you like to carry it. There are many many good hoslters to choose from, and make sure also select a good belt to go with. Good luck!
GT member 15% discount Code: "GT1115"
Email: contact@x-concealment.com
Photo Gallery: www.x-concealment.com/Gallery.htm
X-Concealment is offline   Reply With Quote