Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 20:14   #981
bear62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Hansen View Post
I'm curious to know what part(s) are "WOW" for you?
Mostly every part, Fred ............
Old 03-30-2012, 21:50   #982
Fred Hansen
Liberal Bane

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear62 View Post
Mostly every part, Fred ............
try this one then: NBC News Accused of Editing 911 Call in Trayvon Martin Controversy
When change is absolute there remains no being to improve and no direction is set for possible improvement: and when experience is not retained, as among savages, infancy is perpetual. - George Santayana
Old 03-30-2012, 21:55   #983
ballr4lyf

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheeBadOne View Post
Rush to judgment in Trayvon Martin case

http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/30/opinio...ss_igoogle_cnn

This falls into the "No *****, Sherlock!" category. Unfortunately, I believe it is too little, too late. The fuse has been lit, and the mob is out for blood.
Old 03-30-2012, 22:44   #984
vkscott
Retired USAF

Has this been posted

Not sure if this was posted from a 2-day old article.

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20...e?ocid=twitter

Reading the article it states that when the lead investigator interviewed the 13 year old witness, 8 days after the shooting, the LI tried to coax the boy about the race of the person on bottom. The boy stood firm saying he couldn't tell because it was too dark. The article went on to say that the LI told the boy's mother that he didn't believe it eas SD and that he needed to prove it.

What I have to say about that, didn't we already know this from the beginning? Wasn't it the LI that told the DA that he didnt believe Zimmerman and wanted to arrest him that night? If that is accurate (at least from what the media reported) what weight does this article have? I think it has no weight.

Sorry if this has been discussed. I'm tired and don't want to play catchup

NRA Member, G30SF, Kimber Raptor II.
Old 03-30-2012, 22:54   #985
Tiro Fijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballr4lyf View Post
...Unfortunately, I believe it is too little, too late. The fuse has been lit, and the mob is out for blood.

All it would take would be few famous & respected Black celebrities to quell this but many remember what happened to Bill Cosby after his "tennis shoes" speech.
Old 03-30-2012, 23:15   #986
vkscott
Retired USAF

Interesting read

This is the type of fuel that feeds the black community. I wonder if Zimmerman is not charged, will there be a retraction? I highly doubt it.

http://brotherpeacemaker.wordpress.c...man-was-black/

Old 03-30-2012, 23:34   #987
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger1079 View Post
I would rather run the risk of POSSIBLY being shot while trying to run away rather than GAURANTEEING I am going to be shot by trying to fist fight with someone that just pulled a gun on me.
Yes. Even if you have a gun shooting back/shooting your attacker is generally not the top priority.

Not getting shot is the top priority.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Old 03-30-2012, 23:40   #988
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheeBadOne View Post
Rush to judgment in Trayvon Martin case

That's a helluva article. And from CNN!

Good link.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)

Last edited by Warp; 03-30-2012 at 23:40..
Old 03-30-2012, 23:44   #989
HKLovingIT
Resident Evil

This is interesting. Perhaps people, or at least some, are calming down just a notch. Which, is good.

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/Civ...z/-/index.html

кто пукнул здесь?
Nescio, sed foetet.
Old 03-30-2012, 23:46   #990
HKLovingIT
Resident Evil

Then again, just when I had some hope for humanity.

Wow, this is just...yeah...read it...

http://charlotte.cbslocal.com/2012/0...rayvon-martin/

кто пукнул здесь?
Nescio, sed foetet.
Old 03-31-2012, 00:12   #991
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

Photos shape opinions of Trayvon Martin case

http://www.suntimes.com/news/nation/...rtin-case.html
Old 03-31-2012, 00:21   #992
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

Carry Issues
Old 03-31-2012, 06:16   #993
vkscott
Retired USAF

Just saw this. Seems like everything is under scrutiny.

Old 03-31-2012, 06:21   #994
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Quote:
The leading cause of death for black male teenagers is homicide, according to the National Center for Health Statistics. Of all the black homicide victims, about 93% are killed by other black people. In 2011, nearly 85% of all people murdered in Philadelphia were black. Where are the marches and protests for these victims? Is it justice people seek or are they looking and even hoping for signs of white racism so they can exploit it?
You know living some 50 miles outside of Philadelphia, somehow, I knew this; it's just that with all of the national news media furor over the past 3 weeks, this otherwise obvious reality has seemed to almost disappear.

My personal opinion, though, is a little bit different than that of author Bennett's. After listening to my favorite quintessential, 'snake oil salesman', Chuck Schumer, on TV the other night, I think what's really happening with this media-hyped rage and hysteria over the Martin shooting incident is just one more way the national news media is exploring in order to damn the rights of American citizens to keep and bear arms - I really do!

Pretty damned slick - Ain't it! Oh, and I still want to know what Martin's toxicology report shows? (The silence is almost deafening!)
Old 03-31-2012, 06:22   #995
Roger1079

Quote:
Originally Posted by series1811 View Post
Who is providing you with this information on what is a possible risk and what is guaranteed, when facing someone with a gun who you believe intends to shoot you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty02 View Post
It is impossible to determine as of now what would work in a future situation and what will not. As difficult as it may be at the time, you have to play it by ear based on all the data your senses are receiving from all sources (the location you’re in, the person that is threatening you, who else is present, etc). Running away may in fact be the best possible move that yields the highest possibility of success; the same will be true of fighting your way out; each will be directly tied to the situation faced (not to what you think you’ll do as of today).

Common sense would be my guide in that situation. In my eyes, location, race, religion, type of clothing worn, and any other variable you can throw in there is meaningless. The only situation where any variables other than the gun come into play for me is if it is a LEO pointing a gun at me. In that situation, I know that unless I make a really bad decision, I will likely not be shot. If ANYONE else pulls a gun on me, especially a citizen with a CCW, I am going to believe my life is in danger and that their intention is to shoot me regardless of any other circumstances. I would believe that to be true simply because with a FL CCW, nobody should ever know you have it unless they are looking down the muzzle. If they are in that situation, it should only be because the person that pulled it intends to shoot.

If I happen to be armed, common sense may tell me my best option is to stand my ground and try to defend myself while running the risk of being shot. However, if I am not armed which is the case here, common sense would tell me I am in a dangerous/potentially deadly situation where the other person UNQUESTIONABLY has the upper hand by a HUGE margin.

That being said, with my belief that anyone pointing a gun at me intends to harm me, common sense is going to tell me that my best chance at survival is to retreat and hope that my behavior is sufficient enough to avoid me being shot rather than bringing fists to a gunfight and making the chance of me being shot just about certain. I don't gamble, but i do know a 50/50 shot is better than nearly 100% certainty.

Odds are if Treyvon was retreating, Zimmerman would NOT have put a bullet in his back. That of course is my opinion but common sense also tells me that is likely a true statement.

Last edited by Roger1079; 03-31-2012 at 06:49..
Old 03-31-2012, 06:36   #996
Roger1079

Quote:
This is the conversation in question. If what I understood and what you said are not the same thing, then I may need some help seeing the difference.

ETA: I didn't experess the blue part correctly, what I meant was that there would be times where running away is the best option and others where fighting your way out would be the best option. Select the wrong one and you're just as dead. You have to pay attention (not be set in just one way) to know which would be appropriate.
Well of course there are scenarios where attempting to fight back is the best/only option. However for me at least, these situations would only be if my family/loved ones were with me and the odds of everyone escaping unharmed was slim or if I was backed into a corner with no possible way to retreat. Neither of these are the situation in this particular case. All accounts say Treyvon was alone and near the sidewalk in a residential community. Running and hiding would have definitely been the smarter option for preservation of his own life IF what we have heard to this point is true.

Last edited by Roger1079; 03-31-2012 at 07:04..
Old 03-31-2012, 06:55   #997
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Quote:
Common sense would be my guide in that situation. In my eyes, location, race, religion, type of clothing worn, and any other variable you can throw in there is meaningless. THe only situation where anythings comes into play for me is if it is a LEO pointing a gun at me. In that situation, I know that unless I make a really bad decision, I will likely not be shot. If ANYONE else pulls a gun on me, especially a citizen with a CCW, I am going to believe my life is in danger and that their intention is to shoot me regardless of any other circumstances.

If I happen to be armed, common sense may tell me my best option is to stand my ground and try to defend myself while running the risk of being shot. However, if I am not armed which is the case here, common sense would tell me I am in a dangerous/potentially deadly situation where the other person UNQUESTIONABLY has the upper hand by a HUGE margin.

That being said, with my belief that anyone pointing a gun at me intends to harm me, common sense is going to tell me that my best chance at survival is to retreat and hope that my behavior is sufficient enough to avoid me being shot rather than bringing fists to a gunfight and making the chance of me being shot just about certain. I don't gamble, but i do know a 50/50 shot is better than nearly 100% certainty.

Odds are if Treyvon was retreating, Zimmerman would NOT have put a bullet in his back. That of course is my opinion but common sense also tells me that is likely a true statement.
Yes, and yes again on all counts!

If you're looking at a gun barrel (or someone with his hand on a gun) the, 'fight or flight decision' has already been made for you. On the other hand if time and distance are on your side I'm going to go with the Bible's advice:

'A prudent man foreseeth the evil, and hideth himself: but the simple pass on, and are punished.' - Proverbs 22:3

Recent eyewitness testimony indicates that Martin did NOT try to run away from Zimmerman. He ran AT HIM instead. I am further convinced that Martin did NOT know that Zimmerman was armed until after he had Zimmerman down and was pummeling him about the head.

Contrary to what the national news media has been portraying, the Martin shooting is NOT a, 'black and white' racial incident. It is, instead, a straightforward case of interpersonal aggression and corresponding self-defense.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:56   #998
Misty02

Quote:
Well of course there are scenarios where attempting to fight back is the best/only option. However for me at least, these situations would only be if my family/loved ones were with me and the odds of everyone escaping unharmed was slim or if I was backed into a corner with no possible way to retreat. Neither of these are the situation in this particular case. All accounts say Treyvon was alone and near the sidewalk in a residential community. Running and hiding would have definitely been the smarter option for preservation of his own life IF what we have heard to this point is true.
No argument here, I agree.

"In making tactical dispositions, the highest pitch you can attain is to conceal them." - Sun Tzu

Outpost Member #69
Old 03-31-2012, 09:58   #999
Misty02

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...11-call-306359

NBC News Accused of Editing 911 Call in Trayvon Martin Controversy (Video)

Interesting video at the bottom of the article.

"In making tactical dispositions, the highest pitch you can attain is to conceal them." - Sun Tzu

Outpost Member #69
Old 03-31-2012, 10:23   #1000
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...11-call-306359

NBC News Accused of Editing 911 Call in Trayvon Martin Controversy (Video)

Interesting video at the bottom of the article.

What is wrong with people?

Did they really think nobody would get on them about this?

Are they really this freaking concerned with creating racial tension???

Closed Thread