Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-09-2012, 22:37   #1
Gary Slider

Function of Your Firearm

Mas, I haven't seen it discussed here as today I ran into a problem with ammo feeding in my backup gun. I want everyone to make sure they check their carry ammo in their firearm to make sure it will function.

My 442 is just a little big for my pocket and I got tired of cleaning it when carrying on my ankle and getting to old to get to it fast down there. Hell getting old. So I have gone to my little Kel-Tec 32 as my back up gun in my weak side front pocket full time.

Today I tried out the Hornady Critical Defense 32 Auto 60 gr XTP. It would not function in the firearm. Manually trying to chamber a round or when firing it would not chamber the next round. The slide would stop with just over 1/2 the round in the chamber and no further. Even using my palm on the back of the slide did not good.

The Winchester runs in the Little Kel-Tec just fine with no problems. I did try the Hornady in a Beretta Tomcat and it ran just fine. Every firearm is just a little different and another Kel-Tec 32 might run it fine. But mine would not. The lady I was cleaning the little Beretta for will now have 200 rounds of Hornady Critical Defense to use.

I remember very vividly at LFI-1 you talking about making sure your firearm would function with your carry ammo and 200 rounds without a hiccup was your standard. I have followed that advice ever since. I think all the readers her should hear that. It is something that could save your life.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network.
Gary Slider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 03:54   #2
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

Excellent point, Gary. It's emergency life-saving rescue equipment, and reliability is a non-negotiable baseline.

I know 200 rounds is expensive, especially today, but it's important. There are some in the business who think I'm a piker recommending 200 rounds, and recommend up to 1000 rounds without a malf before trusting the gun.

best,
Mas
Mas Ayoob is offline   Reply With Quote