SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-11-2012, 21:40   #1
Animal Mother
Not Enough Gun

Religious Freedom

Here's a story about Jewish Israeli mailmen refusing to deliver copies of the New Testament. If something similar were to occur in the US, would their actions be protected by the First Amendment?

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7...198711,00.html
Old 03-12-2012, 10:35   #2
Woofie
CLM Number 293
Disirregardless

Send a message via AIM to Woofie
Unless there is a law against the mailing of religious texts through USPS they should either deliver the mail or take whatever punishment comes from neglecting your duty.

"I don't need to figure probabilities, and I don't need facts." JBnTx

"Maybe they should drink like Woofie and come up with pure brilliance." OXCOPS

"Woofie is the only smart one around here." Photoman642
Woofie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:40   #3
Kingarthurhk
Isaiah 53:4-9

Honestly, unless you are opening the mail, how would you know what was in the mail? If you opening other people's mail there is larger issue going on.

Now, I have heard of mail handlers in the United States inserting religious texts into packages. This is from a former postal employee I know. There was an investigation as many of the receivers were complaining. It was determined he had a First Amendment right to distribute his religious views.

An interesting case.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:41   #4
G33
CLM Number 296
Re-Assigned

Check the country!
Christians trying another crusade.

Outdoor Hub mobile.
Tin can/string.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

"I'd wager G would waterboard a salmon."--tous

"...those without swords can still die upon them." --Eowyn
G33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:04   #5
Paul7
New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal Mother View Post
Here's a story about Jewish Israeli mailmen refusing to deliver copies of the New Testament. If something similar were to occur in the US, would their actions be protected by the First Amendment?

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7...198711,00.html
No, the offended Israeli workers need to find a new job. This is very different than the other religious freedom story in the news, where Obama is trying to force the Catholic Church to participate in something it considers a mortal sin.

Last edited by Paul7; 03-12-2012 at 11:05..
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 16:25   #6
Animal Mother
Not Enough Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul7 View Post
No, the offended Israeli workers need to find a new job. This is very different than the other religious freedom story in the news, where Obama is trying to force the Catholic Church to participate in something it considers a mortal sin.
How is it different? According to the mailmen, distributing the literature of another religion is a violation of religious law.
Old 03-12-2012, 16:36   #7
Paul7
New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal Mother View Post
How is it different? According to the mailmen, distributing the literature of another religion is a violation of religious law.
The mailman isn't working for a religious body.

"Israel Postal Company officials responded: "The Israel Postal Company is a governmental company operating in accordance to the Postal Law, which obligates us to distribute any mail it receives. The Israel Postal Company has no right or ability to chose what it can or cannot distribute. Therefore, the mail will be distributed according to the law."

Last edited by Paul7; 03-12-2012 at 16:37..
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 16:42   #8
Animal Mother
Not Enough Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul7 View Post
The mailman isn't working for a religious body.

"Israel Postal Company officials responded: "The Israel Postal Company is a governmental company operating in accordance to the Postal Law, which obligates us to distribute any mail it receives. The Israel Postal Company has no right or ability to chose what it can or cannot distribute. Therefore, the mail will be distributed according to the law."
Is it your position that those employed by religious bodies should be excepted from laws that might offend those religious organizations?