Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:14   #1
Nalapombu

Have an AK and want to Upgrade it...Suggestions??

Hey all,

I have an SAR1 that was given to me years ago along with a case of ammo by my brother in law.

The short stock on it is very hard for me to get comfortable with. I have a terrible neck and I just can't get a decent cheek weld on it.

I would also like to maybe add a mini red dot to co-witness with the iron sights on it.

On one hand I could get a NATO stock set for about $120 or so and change some of the other stuff I don't like for probably another $150 or so (just a wild guess).

The other option would be to just sell mine or find a shop and trade it for an Arsenal that already has the NATO length stock on it or a folder that is longer than the standard AK length, that would be OK too. I really like the looks of the Arsenal AK's, but have never handled one.

The thing is I don't know how much mine would bring or is worth in this market. The Arsenals are about $750 or so depending on what model and options.

What would you rather have, an SAR1 or an Arsenal? Would you care to hazard a guess as to what I would have to pay in boot to get a 7.62x39 Arsenal with NATO stock if I traded or sold my SAR1 first?
My SAR1 has maybe 100 rounds through it.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks

Nalajr
Old 03-12-2012, 01:45   #2
Javelin
Silver Membership
Got Glock?

I'd just drop the coin and get an Arsenal (and did). Haven't looked back and neither will you.

Disclaimer: This writer is not a lawyer. This product is meant for entertainment and fan or political fiction purposes only and writer accepts no liability. All material should be considered as infotainment only. Writer does not own any characters, topics or subject matter in this story. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is for entertainment only. If rash, irritation, redness, or swelling develops, discontinue reading immediately and consult your physician.
Javelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:56   #3
Hour13
Tah-dah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javelin View Post
I'd just drop the coin and get an Arsenal (and did). Haven't looked back and neither will you.

Before finally coming to the conclusion that I'm just not an "AK guy"... I owned three. A WASR10, an Arsenal, and a DS-converted Yugo. If I ever go back to AKs, it'll definitely be the Arsenal that I'll pick up. Well worth the money.

Quote:
She can't say stupid stuff with her mouth full of sausage.
Quote:
I have no problem charging somebody stark nekid, with a TP tail hanging from my butt... Maybe they'll go to their maker with a smile on their face.
Hour13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:57   #4
Nalapombu

That's what I have been thinking for a while now.

Anyone know what my SAR1 would likely sell for?

Thanks

Nalajr
Old 03-12-2012, 06:28   #5
DieselNut

Send a message via AIM to DieselNut
It would probably sell for around $500. I think they're slightly more desired than the WASRs.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:31   #6
TSAX
USAF Vet

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

GSSF Member
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

NRA Member

Last edited by TSAX; 03-12-2012 at 06:32..
TSAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:34   #7
Patriot III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javelin View Post

Agreed.
Patriot III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:54   #8
TactiCool

I see a lot of suggestions for getting an Arsenal over keeping your SAR1, but having taken rifle courses and used a variety of AK's, the Arsenals that I have handled did not perform "better" than the Romanian AK's that I have used. True, the build quality and the fit and finish were superior, but they did not shoot any more accurately. The only difference in performance that I really noticed was the extra weight of the milled receiver.

One thing that I recommend you do is try and talk to some security contractors who use AK's in combat and ask them which AK's are best. You don't have to take my word for it, but the contractors that I know have told me, mostly, the ones that they prefer to use are Romanian. The one exception being, my psd instructor prefers Saigas.

And as for upgrades, What I have done to my wasr is add an east german folder, an ultimak rail, kreb's retainer plate, tangodown battle grip, and I have done Jim Fuller's rear sight mod. The only other mods I will do is add an Aimpoint T1 and a surefire w/ vltor offset mount. I base my setup on what contractors actually use in Iraq and Afghanistan for PSD work.
TactiCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 15:53   #9
Nalapombu

I would've never guessed that about the Romanian AK's being preferred. Shows how much I know about them.

I would love to be able to send my SAR1 to Fuller and have him fix it up for me. I have some pics of his AK work and WOW, they are something to see. Just great looking weapons. The problem is that he's in VERY HIGH DEMAND and they aren't cheap.

Thanks all for the info and advice.

Nalajr
Old 03-13-2012, 21:44   #10
Ted the Ninja

You can always get an adapter for your ak and put an adjustable stock on it. That and a hogue grip are all I've done to mine and I've got to say, it's made me WAY more comfortable with the rifle. I was in the same boat as you, thinking of selling and starting fresh, but those simple upgrades make a world of difference. If you still hate it after that, sell the parts and the gun, or sell it all as an upgraded rifle. Just a thought.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:16   #11
TnHawk-45

'IF' you shop around you can get a good used KVAR (Arsenal) NATO length stock set cheaply. For example I bought an OD set this week for $80. Stock sets come up for sale OFTEN as folks now want to make their guns 'tactical' with rail stocks and hang everything except the kitchen sink off of them.

A SAR1 with straight sights is just as good as any Arsenal stamped receiver gun. While it may not be 'pretty' it works and has the rail for a scope mount already on it.

Add to this by just upgrading your SAR you do NOT have to go thru all the hoops to acquire an Arsenal or selling your SAR. Besides it sound like the SAR is OFF the books as far as it comes to you having it.
TnHawk-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 23:49   #12
leadslinger13

i think you may want to try to adjust our fighting stance and how you present the weapon to your shoulder. If you use a bladed stance then there does seem to be some difficulty of proper cheek weld. i am sure you will have the same dissatifaction with the nato length stock. Over the years and after using adjustable stocks i found that the desired length was actually the WARSA length go figure.

try this out and see if it doesn't improve the feel of the weapon.

some of the AR techniques are the same for the AK.
"Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave arriving in an attractive well preserved body, better to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, favorite beverage in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, screaming WAA HOO - What a Ride!"
leadslinger13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 21:03   #13
Ted the Ninja

Yes, I always take a lot of time to make sure I'm taking a forward facing golf stance before firing a shot. Especially if I'm doing moving drills.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:27   #14
SCSU74
St. Cloud Proud

any pics of sar1? i just started looking for an AK and may be interested depending on what price you're looking to get.
Old 03-23-2012, 17:20   #15
Veedubklown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted the Ninja View Post
Yes, I always take a lot of time to make sure I'm taking a forward facing golf stance before firing a shot. Especially if I'm doing moving drills.
This stance is best for avid use of chest-high walls. Press A to crouch.
Old 03-23-2012, 18:13   #16
adamg01

Quote:
Originally Posted by TactiCool View Post
I see a lot of suggestions for getting an Arsenal over keeping your SAR1, but having taken rifle courses and used a variety of AK's, the Arsenals that I have handled did not perform "better" than the Romanian AK's that I have used. True, the build quality and the fit and finish were superior, but they did not shoot any more accurately. The only difference in performance that I really noticed was the extra weight of the milled receiver.

One thing that I recommend you do is try and talk to some security contractors who use AK's in combat and ask them which AK's are best. You don't have to take my word for it, but the contractors that I know have told me, mostly, the ones that they prefer to use are Romanian. The one exception being, my psd instructor prefers Saigas.

And as for upgrades, What I have done to my wasr is add an east german folder, an ultimak rail, kreb's retainer plate, tangodown battle grip, and I have done Jim Fuller's rear sight mod. The only other mods I will do is add an Aimpoint T1 and a surefire w/ vltor offset mount. I base my setup on what contractors actually use in Iraq and Afghanistan for PSD work.
The only way I would want a Romanian Ak in a firefight situation is if my Arsenals had been stolen. I have a properly converted SA85m Hungarian (As seen in my avatar) that I do love. Most Ak people will tell you that they are one of the nicest and most accurate stamped Ak's to have ever been imported. I still wouldn't grab it over my SGL20 or 21 in a defense situation.

I wouldn't get rid of the SAR1 though. They are the best example of a Romanian Ak IMO and they are getting harder to find as well. I would just save for an SGL21. I had a Romanian and a Yugo. AK at one time but never was hooked on the platform until I got my SGL20. Good luck in your decision and keep us updated.
adamg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 22:56   #17
TactiCool

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamg01 View Post
The only way I would want a Romanian Ak in a firefight situation is if my Arsenals had been stolen. I have a properly converted SA85m Hungarian (As seen in my avatar) that I do love. Most Ak people will tell you that they are one of the nicest and most accurate stamped Ak's to have ever been imported. I still wouldn't grab it over my SGL20 or 21 in a defense situation.

I wouldn't get rid of the SAR1 though. They are the best example of a Romanian Ak IMO and they are getting harder to find as well. I would just save for an SGL21. I had a Romanian and a Yugo. AK at one time but never was hooked on the platform until I got my SGL20. Good luck in your decision and keep us updated.
The Kalashnikov Klub
TactiCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 01:53   #18
vrex

Ultimak rail, mini red dot, and muzzle device (PWS comp works great) Will take your AK into the 21st century.
Old 03-31-2012, 22:05   #19
mudmanfloyd

Tapco G2 FCG.
Old 04-01-2012, 01:49   #20
Nalapombu

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and info. I'll check 'em all out for sure.

I like that front rail on the one that's pictured.

Nalajr