Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:28   #1
Bilbo Bagins
Slacked jawed

Discovery and Bear Gryllis part ways

Looks like no more Man vs Wild.

I'm kind of torn by the news. Sure Bear was rumored to occasionally sleep in hotels, staged some things, and slapped his name on a bunch of Chinese crap, but he seems like a nice guy, SAS trained, and he pretty much launched the Survival show concept.

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/discovery-t...160616521.html

I would never trust his advice, but he was entertaining.
Bilbo Bagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:40   #2
Blankshooter

Finally it's gone. I think it's been about a dozen times that i've told myself "Hmm, it can't be that bad, I'll try and watch an episode . . . " only to barely make it through the intro credits and turn it off.

As for him launching the survival show concept? No, he did it 2 years too late, and horribly. Les Stroud did it first, did it better, and did it without a camera crew carrying his matches and first aid kit for him.
Blankshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:30   #3
Babynine

Les Stroud? What about Ray Mears?
Old 03-14-2012, 17:13   #4
cowboy1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo Bagins View Post
I would never trust his advice, but he was entertaining.
Just curious, what advice has he ever given that was patently bad or wrong?
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 17:31   #5
Akita
gone

Stroud launched that TV genre.

Gryliss sleeping in hotels and staging (ie Lying) stuff was proven. Add to that crap that he traveled with a committee, camera crew and more med staff than your average HMO and you can see why he is the laughingstock of people that take this seriously.

I mean, Come On. Stroud carried his own camera and lives in the wild even when not filming. That dudes for real. Gryliss is a TV actor.
Akita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 17:31   #6
Unistat

I like Bear. He's entertaining and the show says right up front that some of the situations are set up to provide an interesting scenario.

If you watch any of those shows (Survivor Man included) looking for more than entertainment and the occasional good idea, you are making a mistake.
Old 03-14-2012, 18:02   #7
Kingarthurhk
Isaiah 53:4-9

I always liked Les Stroud, because he always looked like a guy who took a nap on a couch, and his buddies dropped him in the middle of nowhere. He wakes up, dusts off the cheetos, and says, "Oh, crap, where did they dump me this time?"
Old 03-14-2012, 18:20   #8
Donn57
Just me

Grylls, not Gryllis. If you're going to pound on the guy, at least get his name right.
Donn57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 18:29   #9
Blankshooter

Ray Maers is a good one, but his show aired on th BBC after Baer Grylls

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Blankshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 19:28   #10
Aceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unistat View Post
I like Bear. He's entertaining and the show says right up front that some of the situations are set up to provide an interesting scenario.

If you watch any of those shows (Survivor Man included) looking for more than entertainment and the occasional good idea, you are making a mistake.
This - at the end of the day people forget it's edu-tainment. If it were not for Bear, there wouldn't be any others. Survival fans are often wound a little tight. Bear's message has been beat into people very well. Find the high ground, get to the river, follow it to civilization. Do this fast. Greta advice for most people. Not you guys - but you are not most people if you are reading this.

Bear had a good run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingarthurhk View Post
I always liked Les Stroud, because he always looked like a guy who took a nap on a couch, and his buddies dropped him in the middle of nowhere. He wakes up, dusts off the cheetos, and says, "Oh, crap, where did they dump me this time?"
Most of Les Stroud's show looks like a guy sleeping on the couch. He has often put me to sleep while i was on the couch.

Last edited by Aceman; 03-14-2012 at 19:29..
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 19:35   #11
Syclone538

I don't watch much tv, and had assumed his show went off the air a long time ago. I watched a couple episodes the first season, and couldn't believe the risks he would take. I guess entertaining for some, but horrible advice for someone that really was lost by themselves.

I liked Les Stroud, but he would basically just fast for a week, so his show wasn't perfect either.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Quote:
The constitution is not, nor was it meant to be absolutely literal.

Last edited by Syclone538; 03-14-2012 at 19:37..
Syclone538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 20:59   #12
r3dot

He launched the survival show concept? REALLY? HAHA. Not even to begin counting the old school PBS type crap, but did you forget about Les Stroud? The one who had no crew? The one who actually spent a full 7 days alone, filming himself, and only quit doing the show because of the mass physical and mental strain it had on him? Screw Edward (aka fake name, Bear Grylls).
r3dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 04:43   #13
TangoFoxtrot
OIF 04-05

Bear's show was Ok. Les Stroud is booorrreeiiinnnggg. Les spends more time with moving cameras than he does teaching survival skills. I rather watch Duel Survival.
TangoFoxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:35   #14
pugman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy1964 View Post
Not a big watcher of the show; but as I pointed out to my wife IMO Bear's biggest problem was he showed people, in a survival ideology, some pretty dangerous stuff. The whole "I'm going to launch myself down a raging white cap river rather than walk the bank" is just plain stupid and dangerous (of course during his shows he had a life vest under his shirt).

Several times he made some jumps into water which clearly were unnecessary. I know in a survival mode you may need to do some dangerous things but the only rule in these situations is to come out alive. I'm sure he had a member of the film crew check to make sure there were no rocks...then jumped...where in a real emergency situation like this you don't have this luxury.

Having watched Survivor Man and Dual Survival at least they seem to be a little more common sense oriented. I don't recall anything Les did where I though "Ok, that is really dumb."

Dual Survival seems to have some Darwinian moments like going after the honey in a hive of Africanized Honey Bees but for the most part seems pretty responsible
Old 03-15-2012, 06:48   #15
Unistat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoFoxtrot View Post
Bear's show was Ok. Les Stroud is booorrreeiiinnnggg. Les spends more time with moving cameras than he does teaching survival skills. I rather watch Duel Survival.
Dual Survival is actually my favorite. Dave and Cody's sometimes opposing views on proper techniques make the show pretty interesting.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:11   #16
Bilbo Bagins
Slacked jawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy1964 View Post
The way he moves across terrains. Jumping off a 40 foot cliff into a boulder filled lake, using just your body to ride a raging river, and climbing up a 100ft rockface will significantly decrease your chances of survival, but I'll be honest, it makes for great TV.

Like I said, I like Bear as a person, and I hate to see him go. My kids love his show for the action and the gross out moments, and I admit they picked up a few geography, and plant and animal facts here and there. Les Stroud may have started first, but I could never sit through an entire show. Les whines, is too serious, and a snoozefest.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:18   #17
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blankshooter View Post
Finally it's gone. I think it's been about a dozen times that i've told myself "Hmm, it can't be that bad, I'll try and watch an episode . . . " only to barely make it through the intro credits and turn it off.

As for him launching the survival show concept? No, he did it 2 years too late, and horribly. Les Stroud did it first, did it better, and did it without a camera crew carrying his matches and first aid kit for him.
Yep - the only thing I found worse, among survival shows, was all of the other survival shows.

Don't get me wrong, I think people who believe it's some kind of reality gameshow, where he's supposed to really be surviving unassisted are idiots. The point of the show is to show how to survive - it's irrelevant whether he leaves the hotel to shoot for 4 hours a day before hitting the bar. However, aside from Gryllis, where do they get the creepy, city-living hippies they put on these shows? They are making survival shows with what seem to be couch potatos who read survival books.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:22   #18
lethal tupperwa

who were the two guys --one of them is barefoot almost all the time?

----------------------------------------

GLOCK CERTIFIED ARMORER
lethal tupperwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:25   #19
itstime

Being a good friend with A guy who is good friends with one of the persons mentioned in this thread I can say for certain the people who work for the network have more to say what goes on the show than the "experts".

I was told stories where the person didn't want to do what was told to do because he didn't believe it was good advice but had to do certain things anyway.
itstime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:37   #20
Bilbo Bagins
Slacked jawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by itstime View Post
Being a good friend with A guy who is good friends with one of the persons mentioned in this thread I can say for certain the people who work for the network have more to say what goes on the show than the "experts".

I was told stories where the person didn't want to do what was told to do because he didn't believe it was good advice but had to do certain things anyway.
I know people who work in the TV and Radio industry and I totally believe what you are saying there.