Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-15-2012, 13:43   #1
3000fps

Remington 870, Mossberg 500, Mossberg 590 A1

Which of these would you GT'ers recommend for home defense? I don't have a shotgun currently and would like to add one to my collection.
3000fps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 13:47   #2
battlin bulldog
sand

honestly you really cant go wrong. the 590A1 is gonna be longer and heavier than the 500. the 870 is probably the easiest to mod out to your hearts content. I own all 3 and all are great.
Old 03-15-2012, 13:54   #3
D3S3RT_P3NGU1N

You really can't go wrong with any of them. Go to the store, handle them all and pick the one that you like best
"To be governed is to be watched, inspected, directed, indoctrinated, numbered, estimated, regulated, commanded, controlled, law-driven, preached at, spied upon, censored, checked, valued, enrolled, by creatures who have neither the right, nor the wisdom nor the virtue to do so."
D3S3RT_P3NGU1N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 14:05   #4
TN.Frank
Mad Hatter

Had all three and the 590a1 was the best of em' for HD. However if you want a multi purpose shotgun that you can use for HD and hunting look no further then the Remington 870, with a quick barrel change it can go from HD duty to dove hunting.
Old 03-15-2012, 14:29   #5
OctoberRust
Anti-Federalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3000fps View Post
Which of these would you GT'ers recommend for home defense? I don't have a shotgun currently and would like to add one to my collection.

I love the 6 shot 18.5 inch mossberg 500.

For a little more length and weight you can get an 9 shot mossberg 590.

The only real operating difference I've heard in the 500 vs 870 is the 500 has dual extractor claws, where as the 870 has one.

I'm sure the 870 is a fine shotgun, you'd be served well with either one IMO.
OctoberRust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 14:30   #6
OctoberRust
Anti-Federalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN.Frank View Post
Had all three and the 590a1 was the best of em' for HD. However if you want a multi purpose shotgun that you can use for HD and hunting look no further then the Remington 870, with a quick barrel change it can go from HD duty to dove hunting.

Mossberg 500 can do the same as you mentioned too. I have an 18.5 inch barrel for SD and a 28 inch barrel for hunting.
OctoberRust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 15:05   #7
Boats
Not Assimilated

The Mossbergs are fighting shotguns that can be modified for hunting.

The 870 is a bird gun that can be modified to fight with.

I think the Mossbergs use a better control layout. The safety is better located and more easily manipulated. The action release is in a better location. The shell lifter gets the hell out of your way for rapid reloads.
Boats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 15:23   #8
Glock40man

I've never had a problem with any of them as far a function goes. However, I did encounter a finish issue with my newest 870. But, Remington took care of it. I still prefer a 870 over a 500 or a 590. It's just personal preference. You really can't go wrong with any of them IMO.
Old 03-15-2012, 15:23   #9
John Biltz

Personal preference is really what it comes down to. I like Mossberg 500s because I grew up with a double barrel and I like the safety up top where my thumb sits. It just seems right to me.
Old 03-15-2012, 15:33   #10
Nestor
Lean & Mean

You don't want to miss Winchester SXP Defender and Ithaca M37 Defender here. Out of the three mentioned I prefer 870. Most popular shotgun with the police departments across the continent and for a good reason.

R.I.P Jeff (23Skidoo), Chad (CJLandry) & Mark (Okie) You all will be missed.
Nestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 17:16   #11
Jason D
Silver Membership
INFRINGED!

Never in my life would I buy a Mossberg of any kind.
I've seen a couple that was used for a couple seasons of trap shooting.
Loose as a goose is one term that comes to mind.

I would pick the 870 hands down.
In fact I have.

Alexander Hamilton, author of Federalist No. 1. 10/27/1787
Jason D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 17:29   #12
Boats
Not Assimilated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason D View Post
Never in my life would I buy a Mossberg of any kind.
I've seen a couple that was used for a couple seasons of trap shooting.
Loose as a goose is one term that comes to mind.

I would pick the 870 hands down.
In fact I have.
Well, you went and got yourself a bird gun after all, but this is a thread on defense shotguns. Remington gets by on inertia and ever cheapening the 870 rather than building actual fighting shotguns.

The Remington's shell lifter/loading barrier is a self defense disaster waiting to happen.
Old 03-15-2012, 17:31   #13
Boats
Not Assimilated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nestor View Post
[The 870 is the]Most popular shotgun with the police departments across the continent and for a good reason.
Tell me, do you also drive an old Caprice or Crown Vic too?
Old 03-15-2012, 17:38   #14
Luvdux

The Remington 870 is the best pump ever made... There I said it. There are some old winchesters out there that are better but not still in production.

My buddy had an old Remington that was so full of salt and sand from duck hunting that he had to hit the butt on the ground when he pumped. He killed many a duck with it the last week of that season. End of the season he broke it down did a few nights work on it re blued it and traded it and 150 on a moss berg auto loader, dicked around with that hunk of junk for a few years, finally gave up, sold it for 400, and bought a new 870 for 300. Wish he kept the mossberg, more ducks made it to my side of the blind. I'm a beretta benelli guy but still take out the 870 sometimes to remind myself what a real American shot gun is. Every child should have 870 20 gauge growing up and get a 12 gauge for thir 15th birthday.
Luvdux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 17:44   #15
Jason D
Silver Membership
INFRINGED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boats View Post
Well, you went and got yourself a bird gun after all, but this is a thread on defense shotguns. Remington gets by on inertia and ever cheapening the 870 rather than building actual fighting shotguns.

The Remington's shell lifter/loading barrier is a self defense disaster waiting to happen.
I do agree that the Express models leave much to be desired.
My thinking though was picking a gun that I could shoot a lot and not have it shoot itself loose.

I would hope the Mossberg 590A1 that advertised itself as being a gun picked for military service is better quality wise to the older 500's. To be fair to Mossberg. Having their shotguns used as trap guns can take a hell of a beating in just a season. I just can't imagine investing in a gun that would be work out in 5 thousand rounds or so.

Alexander Hamilton, author of Federalist No. 1. 10/27/1787
Jason D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 19:23   #16
AK74play

I prefer the 870 because of it's more precision build, BUT that precision will stop it in it's tracks under adverse condition when the Mossberg will still be running BECAUSE of it's looser tolerances. For hunting both will result in the same outcome. I have several Mossberg 500's around here that have been purchased for as little as 25 bucks with cracked wood and cosmetically really trashed. Slapped on some artificial furnature and in a couple cases, Hogue pistol grips and forends and they still run absolutely 100% no matter how bad you treat them. For Home defense they will all serve you nicely, but if you add neglect and abuse the Mossy wins hands down. Price is the icing on the cake.
Old 03-15-2012, 19:29   #17
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
DirtyThirty fan

I've owned both, gave theMossberg to my Son-in-Law

Recently replaced the 500 with a mint '69 Wingmaster!
Added a mag extension & a 18.5" barrel.
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 21:50   #18
3000fps

Hmm I should have added a poll. It's about 50/50 LOL
3000fps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 22:42   #19
terdog

Isnt the BENELLI AUTO the new military choice?
terdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 00:35   #20
III_M1KE_III

My recommendation....Remington 870.

The 870 reciever is machined out of barstock steel, while the Mossbergs are built out of aluminium. I prefer to have the explosion that is occuring inches in front of my face to be enclosed in steel. My personal preference.

The safety of the 870 is in the trigger-guard which allows you to upgrade to a pistol-grip stock and still be able to reach the safety while keeping your strong hand on the grip. The mossberg has a safety on the top of the reciever which can be difficult to access should you ever change the stock.

Also, the Remingotn 870 trap door stays in the downward positon at all times minimizing foriegn objects from lodging into your magazine tube. The Mossbergs trap stays upward which allows for easier reloading....but is prone to objects getting into the magazine/reciever. I prefer reliability over convenience.

Both are fine weapons, however, I'm partial to the 870 which I also happen to own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3000fps View Post

Last edited by III_M1KE_III; 03-16-2012 at 00:38..
III_M1KE_III is offline   Reply With Quote