Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:46   #1
Kchur00

Steven's Model 15-A Scope Mounting

Anyone know how I would go about mounting a scope on this rifle? It's a Steven's Model 15-A, single-shot bolt action .22

General Firearms Forum

Not a picture of the one I own, but same rifle. Camera is MIA

Anyway, I've looked around to find any kind of mounting rail/scope rings that would have to go on first and haven't had much luck.

Any advice/help will be appreciated.

Gen 3 G27, Stevens model 15-A, Remington 700 30-06
Kchur00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 16:40   #2
m2hmghb

Does it have ridges on both sides of the rifle? Those are for mounting a 22 scope. The rings are different then the ones you use for a regular scope.

The M1 Garand rifle is the best battle implement ever devised by man.
m2hmghb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 17:07   #3
hogship
It's MY Island

I believe Weaver made a 3/4" tube scope mount for something like that. It required drilling and tapping on the left side of the receiver. This would have been in production many years ago......nothing recently made that would work for this rifle.

That rifle would be somewhat a rarity these days......and to the right person might have some collector's value to it. I'd have a hard time deciding to drill into the receiver for that reason.......

If you want a good youth bolt action single shot rifle, there are quite a few that are good for your purpose, and easily adapted to scope use.......

ooc

This Marlin 15yn has a grooved receiver, and can be mounted with any modern scope. It's still being produced, IIRC........
General Firearms Forum
Visit my Vietnam photo album, 1968-69 click on link

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
hogship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 22:42   #4
Batesmotel

Don't do it. 22s of that vintage are elegant little shooters. Keep it stock. There are tons of 22s ready to be scoped on the market.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:42   #5
Kchur00

I've been debating this with myself and am leaning towards not doing it since it is an older firearm. I got it from my dad when I was about 10 and he said it was my grandfathers. It wasn't in to great of shape, but it shot like a gem. Last month I completely refinished the gun (restained stock and reblued all metal parts), and last week I mounted a sling on it. Don't plan on ever selling it.

General Firearms Forum

General Firearms Forum

Old 03-17-2012, 09:47   #6
hogship
It's MY Island

That was a very good decision........

Now that we know this is your Grandfather's rifle here, that decision is especially important, since your Stevens is obviously a significant heirloom in your family. If you don't have a son or daughter now, you probably will someday.....and, that little rifle is something that will be a very special gift.......one that will be especially meaningful to someone special to you.

A scope for a youth rifle is nice, but isn't all that important, anyway......because it will serve for such a short time before the learner will be ready for something that doesn't require as much manipulation to shoot it much. The purpose is to familiarize the little guy with the basics of safety principles, trigger control and sight alignment, and those things are just not that difficult a concept to understand......and from that point forward, it's practice that will bring improvement.......not continually loading the single shot action.

These things, I know from teaching my own sons to shoot......once the basics are introduced to them, and are in practice, they then had much more fun shooting something that fed from a magazine.

BTW: That is a terrific looking restoration you did!......very excellent!

ooc
Visit my Vietnam photo album, 1968-69 click on link

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by hogship; 03-17-2012 at 10:00..
hogship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 19:08   #7
Kchur00

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogship View Post
That was a very good decision........

Now that we know this is your Grandfather's rifle here, that decision is especially important, since your Stevens is obviously a significant heirloom in your family. If you don't have a son or daughter now, you probably will someday.....and, that little rifle is something that will be a very special gift.......one that will be especially meaningful to someone special to you.

A scope for a youth rifle is nice, but isn't all that important, anyway......because it will serve for such a short time before the learner will be ready for something that doesn't require as much manipulation to shoot it much. The purpose is to familiarize the little guy with the basics of safety principles, trigger control and sight alignment, and those things are just not that difficult a concept to understand......and from that point forward, it's practice that will bring improvement.......not continually loading the single shot action.

These things, I know from teaching my own sons to shoot......once the basics are introduced to them, and are in practice, they then had much more fun shooting something that fed from a magazine.

BTW: That is a terrific looking restoration you did!......very excellent!

ooc
I do hope to pass it on one day and the knowledge of how to use it. The basics are important to master and this is the first gun I learned to shoot with, well besides a bb gun. Besides, I could always find a reasonable plinker with a scope elsewhere that I could add to my collection and use it as a learning tool as well later on in life!

Thanks for the compliment! Most I've ever worked on a gun besides cleaning. Just took my time with it and didn't rush anything.

And thanks for helping me to see the bigger picture