Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-16-2012, 17:11   #1
Sheepdog689
NRA Life Member

Holster advice for Glock 38 - Fobus? Sherpa?

Just bought a new Glock 38. I carry my 19 and 27 in Fobus paddle holsters which I really like. I use the same shorter holster for both. The 19 sticks out the bottom by I like it that way.

I went looking for a Fobus paddle for the 38 and the only one they make also fits the 37 and 21, the GL3. When I tried it the muzzle of the 38 was almost an inch up inside the holster. That's a no go for me, I don't need the empty holster sticking out under my shirt. I tried the GL4 which is supposed to fit the 39 and is shorter than the GL3...figured the 39 is a shorter 38, right? Wrong... the 38 was really loose inside that holster.

It looks like the only thing out there for a paddle holster for the 38 is the Blackhawk Sherpa. I like the Fobus because I don't have to mess with buttons, straps or thumb snaps to draw the pistol. I didn't buy the Sherpa because I wasn't sure about the trigger finger release button deal and wasn't sure how the bolt on paddle would work out.

What's been the experience with the Sherpa holsters? Are there any other paddle holsters out there?
Sheepdog689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 02:37   #2
ssharber

I have a G23 and use the Serpa (not Sherpa) holster and absolutely love it. I find that the paddle is actually very well made and, in my opinion, works better at keeping the gun close to your side. The belt attachment actually sticks out just a tad more. One word of warning: the Serpa is an excellent holster but not really a good concealed carry, unless when it's winter and you've got a coat on. I find that the button release works extremely well and keeps the finger right where it should be when drawing the weapon; right along the slide. YMMV, but I really like it.
ssharber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 05:31   #3
Rev.357

The Serpa is a great holster for CC only with a coat or real loose shirt. It's a real fast draw, scure & very safe. I use 2 one for my G31 & 26, you can count on it for years of use! I like the paddle best, it feels great for all day carry.
NRA Pistol Instructor
SC CWP Instructor
Rev.357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 15:12   #4
Sam Spade
Lifetime Membership

SafariLand makes several paddle holsters. So does Galco. Kramer makes an excellent paddle, but the strain of going from Fobus to Kramer might be more than you can bear (another gratuitous Tombstone reference )

I'd start with Galco, maybe the Yaqui paddle, since you like exposed muzzles.
"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle

Last edited by Sam Spade; 03-17-2012 at 15:14..
Sam Spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 18:39   #5
collim1
Shower Time!

I am not a fan of Fobus holsters. I tried them many years ago and had one so tight I could barely seat the gun in it, and when drawing the holster and gun would pull outta my pants.

I had another so loose that if held upside down the gun would fall out.

You should treat yourself to a better holster than the Fobus or Serpa for that matter.

Try a Don Hume, Galco, or Safariland. A little more expensive but worth the money IMO.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 19:04   #6
Sheepdog689
NRA Life Member

Thanks all....Serpa, not Sherpa...sorry about that. I ran across a few comments on other threads about Comp-Tac holsters. How are they quality wise?
Sheepdog689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 19:37   #7
nastytrigger
Mediocre Member

I have one Fobus (for my G21, originally for a G37). The Fobus is ok for general carry, maybe winter, or competition use. However, I've ran with my Fobus/G21 before and the G21 has bounced up and nearly out of the holster before. Not good.

I highly recommend a Serpa over the Fobus, mainly just for retention. Less chance to lose your pistol. Plus, it's a natural fluid draw to push the release lever. Additionally, you can carry it as a paddle, belt, thigh, or vest depending on your wants/needs. I have a Serpa for my G19 and Beretta 92. I need to get one for my 1911 and G21.
Old 03-17-2012, 19:40   #8
nastytrigger
Mediocre Member

Neglected to mention, Serpa/Fobus isn't the best for concealment, so I use Don Hume holsters for my go-to IWB and close to the body OWB holsters.

I use Serpas when I open carry, or compete.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:40   #9
Dogbite
DNT TREAD ON ME

Comp Tac is great. Serpa is very good, never had a problem wearing it day and night. Both Serpa and Comp Tac are better than Fobus.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Dogbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:45   #10
Ryobi
SummertimeRules

Hard to get worse than fobus. The SERPA is a lot better, but not particularly good for concealment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teikas Dad View Post
Just bought a new Glock 38. I carry my 19 and 27 in Fobus paddle holsters which I really like. I use the same shorter holster for both. The 19 sticks out the bottom by I like it that way.

I went looking for a Fobus paddle for the 38 and the only one they make also fits the 37 and 21, the GL3. When I tried it the muzzle of the 38 was almost an inch up inside the holster. That's a no go for me, I don't need the empty holster sticking out under my shirt. I tried the GL4 which is supposed to fit the 39 and is shorter than the GL3...figured the 39 is a shorter 38, right? Wrong... the 38 was really loose inside that holster.

It looks like the only thing out there for a paddle holster for the 38 is the Blackhawk Sherpa. I like the Fobus because I don't have to mess with buttons, straps or thumb snaps to draw the pistol. I didn't buy the Sherpa because I wasn't sure about the trigger finger release button deal and wasn't sure how the bolt on paddle would work out.

What's been the experience with the Sherpa holsters? Are there any other paddle holsters out there?
Ryobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 16:42   #11
Badger54
CLM Number 277
Charter Lifetime Member

I carry my Glock 19/26 in a Serpa belt holster I live in Seattle so 90% of the time I am wearing a jacket or a zip up hoodie so concealment is not an issue. When I am wearing just a tshirt I swap to a comptac CTAC or a Mitch Rosen Upper Limit.
Badger54 is offline   Reply With Quote