Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-16-2012, 23:48   #1
outd00rs

Florida CCW license

Posting a question that I recently had concerning acquiring a CCW license.

I live in VA and know that it's not that difficult to get a VA resident CCW license.

There was recently an online coupon for my local area stating that a Florida CCW license could be obtained which has a reciprocity agreement in place with VA.

The VA State Police website states that non-resident FL residents with a FL CCW license do not have CC rights in VA.

I'm somewhat confused. The FL licensing office states that they do have reciprocity with VA.

From the FL licensing offic VA is called out as a state with reciprocity. But does this mean only if you are a FL resident?

From the VA State Police site:

* Virginia non-resident permit holders – Virginia non-resident permit holders should contact each reciprocal state to determine if their permit will be recognized prior to carrying in that jurisdiction.
  • Florida law does not grant reciprocity to holders of Virginia non-resident permits.
So a couple of questions.

1. As a VA resident do I have to get a CCW permit from VA?
  2. Can I get a CCW license for FL only?
Thanks for the input.

Last edited by outd00rs; 03-16-2012 at 23:54..
outd00rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 00:03   #2
HarleyGuy

Some states (such as Michigan) will not honor a non-resident concealed carry license...period.
THis may be the case with VA so would need to check to confirm this.

If you obtain a VA carry license you need to confirm that FL will honor your license and if not you will need to obtain the FL non-resident license to legally carry your firearm there.

This is why the National Carry bill is so important.
HarleyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 01:17   #3
harrygunner

As a Virginia resident. you'll need a Virginia license.

VA does recognize Florida permits held by people who don't live in Florida.

I believe the Virginia site was misunderstood. The words are: "Florida law does not grant reciprocity to holders of Virginia non-resident permits."

An example to help, I neither live in Virginia nor Florida. If I get a VA permit, those words are a warning about Florida law (not Virginia law) that I can't carry in Florida with only a non-resident VA permit.

The only way a non-resident can carry legally in Florida is to either acquire a Florida permit or to have a permit from a state, that you live in, that has a reciprocity agreement with Florida.

Just remember there are two ways those permits can allow someone to carry: recognition and reciprocity.

Reciprocity is a formal agreement between states to honor each others permits. Recognition is one sided, where a state decides to honor other states.

A simple bottom line: This has nothing to do with you as a Virginia resident, except for the fact that you'll need a VA permit to carry concealed.

Last edited by harrygunner; 03-17-2012 at 01:19..
harrygunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 21:30   #4
Torontogunguy

And now imagine driving around the USA from state to state; trying to figure out if the state you are about to enter is 'legal'.... or do you have to unholster and unload and lock the firearm and ammo away in your trunk seperately. The laws change so fast you need to take a laptop with you and check constantly.

I believe the founding fathers intended the Second Amendment to be the right to bear arms individually in whatever way one desires in order to protect life and property. The courts are bastardizing the Constitution for the sake of strutting their stuff.

At the very very least we need the National Reciprocity bill passed through the senate and by the President but we all know that this is never going to happen.

Confusion will continue to reign.
There's no such thing as too much training or too much practice....
Torontogunguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 21:42   #5
Zooco

When I travel, I check out the latest info at www.handgunlaw.us They keep it up to date, but always check the state law (which you can find a link for)
Zooco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 18:21   #6
EAJuggalo

Send a message via AIM to EAJuggalo Send a message via Yahoo to EAJuggalo

You are misreading the statement. Those that do not live in VA but have a VA permit that permit is not valid in FL. It is written in FL law that the only non-resident permit they recognize is FL.

As a VA resident this clause does not apply to you, so you could carry in FL on your VA permit.

Some states require that in order to carry legally their residents have an in state permit. I know WI is this way and there are a few others. I'm not sure if VA is this way or not.
Updated 3-22-13
EAJuggalo is offline   Reply With Quote