GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-17-2012, 15:12   #1
WEATHERBY460

Lone Wolf 10MM 6" barrel and compensator ???

I just ordered a LW 6.61" barrel with screw on compensator. Does anyone have any experience with these?

How much speed is gained vs factory 4.5" barrel?
How much less felt recoil is felt with the comp?
Will it feel like a 9mm?
Is it safe to shoot underwoods 135 out of it? Speed?
Will it be accurate from a rest? How many inch groups at 25 yards and a red dot sight?

Thanks
WEATHERBY460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 15:26   #2
oceanbob

Welcome to 10MM....check these two links out.

http://www.gunblast.com/10mm.htm

Take care, Bob
oceanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 15:32   #3
Yondering

I use one. Pretty big velocity jump over stock, depends on the load of course. The compensator helps a lot. It's still more snappy than a 9mm when using heavy loads, but very little muzzle flip, and really tame with lighter loads. I like mine a lot.
Yondering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:55   #4
WEATHERBY460

thanks guys....also will i need a different recoil spring then the factory 20c...i plan on shooting 135 or 165 underwoods
Old 03-19-2012, 13:40   #5
Brian Lee
Drop those nuts

I've been keeping a detailed record of my own results, and while it does differ a bit depending on the exact load you are shooting, my chronograph shows that going to a 6" barrel on a G20 only gives an increase of about 75FPS with most 10MM loads. It's nowhere near the difference I had been hoping for when I bought a 6" barrel. The hottest loads give the biggest differences.

I wasn't using a compensator during my chrono testing, so no info on that.

Last edited by Brian Lee; 03-19-2012 at 13:43..
Brian Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 20:41   #6
Yondering

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEATHERBY460 View Post
thanks guys....also will i need a different recoil spring then the factory 20c...i plan on shooting 135 or 165 underwoods
No, you won't have to use a different spring, but a 22-24lb spring is recommended regardless. It shouldn't cause any malfunctions but will lock in battery more positively.
Old 03-19-2012, 21:47   #7
Ethereal Killer

When I bought my compensator they told me I needed to go down in spring weight from stock unless using very heavy loads.

personally I think that the 6+ barrels are seeing premature unlock with some heavy loads which would seem to indicate the need for a heavier spring or heavier slide. this fights against the need for a lighter spring for the compensator. who knows maybe they will balance each other out.

What I'd do is stick with the stock spring then see what happens with light to heavy loads then tune for that. gonna have to be trial and error. I suspect if you stick in the SAAMI pressure range you wont have many problems but if you want to push it into the 50,000psi+ range, you are gonna need some trial and error.

custom rig, custom problems. good luck
Ethereal Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 22:52   #8
Yondering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal Killer View Post
When I bought my compensator they told me I needed to go down in spring weight from stock unless using very heavy loads.
I heard this as well, but have not found it to be true. I'm running a 24 lb spring with my LW comp, 6.6" barrel, and long slide (solid top). If any combination needed a light spring for light loads, it would be this one. Instead, it runs factory 40 S&W ammo like a sewing machine, and also digests the really heavy 10mm loads with ease. Those light loads feel like a big .22, with the longslide and the comp.

One thing I don't think people realize: the 24 lb springs (ISMI at least) aren't anywhere close to 24 lbs. More like 18-19 lbs, only a couple pounds heavier than the OEM glock springs. I have not measured the Wolff springs to find out if this is true for them, but Lone Wolf says not to use those with their longslide anyway.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:30   #9
arushus
Biggest Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yondering View Post
One thing I don't think people realize: the 24 lb springs (ISMI at least) aren't anywhere close to 24 lbs. More like 18-19 lbs, only a couple pounds heavier than the OEM glock springs. I have not measured the Wolff springs to find out if this is true for them, but Lone Wolf says not to use those with their longslide anyway.
Ive been suspecting this for a while now, my 22lb spring didnt seem to offer a whole lot more resistance to slide movement, and the brass still flew almost as far when I installed it...
Spike's Tactical Enhanced CHF 16" Mid-Length M4
These Red Letters Help me find my post!!!
arushus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:55   #10
preventec47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yondering View Post
I

Just a bit fuzzy there and would like to clarify. Whose springs are you referring to as "those" ?

Also, does Lone Wolf also supply the long slide ? I went to their website a while back and dont recall seeing them.
I remember reading your story about him having special made slides in Germany and it sounded almost like a one time affair.
preventec47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:44   #11
Ethereal Killer

I only have 4 springs to compare but when I compared them here is what I saw.

the 15# was the same length as the 17# but the wire was thinner
the 20# was the same thickness of wire but was 1.25" longer

the 17# aftermarket was about the same thickness as the stock spring but I couldnt compare length.

I'm still waiting for the slide to get back from milling but I'll let you know what happens with the different springs.

waiting is worse than christmas
Old 03-21-2012, 11:04   #12
preventec47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal Killer View Post

I'm still waiting for the slide to get back from milling
Why is it being milled ? Do they not come ready to work
as in load and go like the barrels ?

I was crawling around Lone Wolf site and it appears
to me that if someone starting from scratch wanted a 10mm Glock with long barrel and slide they are looking at spending
about $1000 after getting the other necessary parts.
Is that about right ?

Last edited by preventec47; 03-21-2012 at 11:06..
Old 03-21-2012, 12:41   #13
WEATHERBY460

you dont need to buy a slide, you can use the factory stock one from my understanding
Old 03-21-2012, 12:52   #14
preventec47

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEATHERBY460 View Post
you dont need to buy a slide, you can use the factory stock one from my understanding
Thanks for reminding me of that. That would save $260 bucks
and you would merely have the little barrel tube sticking out
front an extra inch or inch and a half. The long slide
really improves the cosmetics of that and perhaps the extra
weight might help with the shooting as well.
Old 03-21-2012, 13:35   #15
Any Cal.

I don't have the 6.6" or LW comp, but I do have a 5.2" and Carver comp. The 5.2 adds 40fps to hot 225g loads, and the comp feels like it cuts recoil by half or better, depending on the load. On loads with little powder, it doesn't seem to do much other than keep the brass close by. I am still using the stock spring, as brass from the light loads doesn't go very far.

The speed difference also depends on the powder, with some there is a much larger difference over the stock barrel, I assume because of the large difference in the chamber. The loose stock chamber really seems to hurt some powders/handloads, but make little difference in others.
Any Cal. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 17:37   #16
Ethereal Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by preventec47 View Post
Why is it being milled ? Do they not come ready to work
as in load and go like the barrels ?

I was crawling around Lone Wolf site and it appears
to me that if someone starting from scratch wanted a 10mm Glock with long barrel and slide they are looking at spending
about $1000 after getting the other necessary parts.
Is that about right ?

I'm having a notch milled into the slide so the red dot sight will fit to the slide directly and lower than a dovetail mount. this allows me to use irons sights as well as the red dot by viewing the taller supressor style irons thru the dot's glass.

Before I abandoned my quest for a longslide due to LWD inability to make a slide in spec, my budget was closer to $2200 with the red dot and milling, but that was gonna be a balls out rig too. the milling work and RDS is $700 by itself.
Old 03-21-2012, 18:24   #17
Yondering

Lone Wolf makes their own longslides. I have the solid top version; it's the heaviest 10mm slide out there that I know of. They recommend not using Wolff (different company) springs in their longslides, because they bind up against the barrel.

You're looking at $500-$600 for a complete Lone Wolf longslide top end (barrel, slide, sights, internal slide parts, recoil spring assy).

The long slide isn't totally necessary with a 6" barrel, but it definitely has some advantages. The barrel/slide fit is a little tighter, improving accuracy. The longer sight radius also improves accuracy (mute point if you use a red dot sight). The extra slide mass tames recoil more than the stock slide.

This is mine.
The 10 Ring