SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:01   #1
center_mass

Safe room

Mas

My question is about a safe room. We have three kids under 12, each with their own bedroom. All br's are upstairs. At the top of the stairs, one would have to pass by all 3 kids br's to get to the master br. When shtf in middle of the night, what would you recommend for the safe room? Waking kids and bring them into mbr, or shuffling them into one of the kids br's? My concern is minimizing their exposure, but I need to figure out best way to get us all together in safest place.

Btw, I have a glock 19 for home defense which stays condition one in a gunvault.

Thanks in advance. I've learned a lot from reading your books.
center_mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:33   #2
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

Depends a lot on the kids. "Under 12" covers a lot of ground. Are they light or heavy sleepers? Attitude means a lot, too; I don't know your kids, but I've seen other folks whose youngsters ranged from the discipline of young soldiers to diagnosed Oppositional Defiant Disorder. Only you can assess.

If the kids are of an age and demeanor to handle it, intercoms in their rooms and a drilled plan to race to the master bedroom when you awaken them with the order to do so, could work.

A simpler approach would be to plan to make your stand near the head of the stairs. That would put you at an interdiction point between the kids' rooms and the access path of the intruder(s). A large, thickly stacked bookshelf strategically placed there would give you good cover.

You'd be in position to hold that ground until your significant other can round up the kids and shepherd them to the master bedroom/safe room.

Wishing you the best, and appreciating the thought you're putting into this for your family,

Mas
Mas Ayoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 21:19   #3
center_mass

Thanks for the quick reply...their ages are 7, 10, and 11. They're not real heavy sleepers and they do tend to get scared when hearing strange noises... But I think in that situation they'd do what we tell them. We're planning to set up a drill to practice it and try to make it fun so it doesn't scare them...maybe do a fire drill as well. Thanks again for the advice!
center_mass is offline   Reply With Quote