Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:06   #1
happyguy
Na Ben Don Chat

Gun nation: Inside America's gun-carry culture

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Society...ors_picks=true

I haven't seen this posted. Maybe I missed it.

Regards,
Happyguy

"Nobody should ever run a race where they are lapped by the sun."
happyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:24   #2
Sbh87
Handgunner

Saw this on a different gun forum. I only read bits and pieces of it and didn't care for it too much. Most people on that forum found it to be somewhat neutral and people seemed pretty surprised about that.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:04   #3
steveksux
Massive Member

Well, the first pages seems neutral and balanced. Not sure how much more I feel like reading.

Randy
steveksux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:52   #4
eracer
Where's my EBT?

A decent - if superficial - compendium of recent gun law history. Focused a lot on North Carolina, but did mention some of the other, more recent State actions, and well as recent SCOTUS decisions.

Didn't really delve into the debate much, except to present the opinions of a few people on either side of the dabate.

Neither especially biased, nor especially interesting (at least to those who pay at least some attention to the subject.)
Matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration; we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death. Life is a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves. And now...the weather! ---- Bill Hicks

Last edited by eracer; 03-18-2012 at 09:53..
eracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:02   #5
unit1069

The Monitor is a liberal publication but they do try to appear fair. The article is decidedly liberal and the choice of terminology indicates to me the writer has an anti-rights bias.

We should all remember that language plays a great part in forming opinions and a sure tip-off to one's anti-rights bias is the term "gun culture". Those of us who enjoy exercising our individual right perhaps might start using the term "collectivist culture" to describe people (like the writer) who deliberately misrepresent our rights in order to further their agendas. Or perhaps the author really doesn't know much about the constitution.

For example, the author states that the Second Amendment is granted by the constitution, whereas the Bill of Rights are inalienable, God-given rights that the constitution confirms, not confers. If the constitution confers a right that right can be denied. If the Second Amendment's individual right to keep and bear arms is denied what's to prevent a tyrant, oligarchy, or the mob majority denying the First Amendment?

If we use every opportunity that presents itself to use our own terminology with a clear understanding of the constitution it counters the collectivist culture that always paves the way for tyranny.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:31   #6
steveksux
Massive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit1069 View Post
For example, the author states that the Second Amendment is granted by the constitution, whereas the Bill of Rights are inalienable, God-given rights that the constitution confirms, not confers.
I'm old fashioned. I thought the Bill of Rights WAS the first 10 Amendments, 2nd Amendment included.

Randy
steveksux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 14:00   #7
unit1069

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveksux View Post
I'm old fashioned. I thought the Bill of Rights WAS the first 10 Amendments, 2nd Amendment included.
You're correct; maybe what I wrote is confusing. What I hope is clear is that both the First and Second Amendments are preexisting God-given individual rights the constitution confirms.