Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-18-2012, 21:56   #1
Teecher45

Making a M1A available for HD.

Not just for in the house, out on the farm too.
Anyone figure out a way to attach a light to a M1A? I'm not talking about the SOCOM II. The regular M1A, specifically the Scout.
While we're here what about the best mags, and from where?
Ammo for stockpiling? Where to buy?

And most importantly...
Anything you guys with M1A's wish someone would have told you when you were first considering buying one?
Thanks for all of your help guys.
Edit to add, oh, and pics please.

Last edited by Teecher45; 03-18-2012 at 22:09..
Teecher45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 23:40   #2
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

I still have wood on mine, and won't be much help in this regard, but I know a guy with a sage stock and he loves it. Spendy as all get out, but plenty o' rail...

General Firearms Forum

As far as things I wish someone told me before I got one (and particularly before I started reloading for one) - powder burn rates and port pressure. Short version - you want milsurp 7.62 ammo. Commercial .308 uses late blooming (slow burn rate) powders that will batter the heck out of your op rod.

Long version starts on page 10 here.
Zombie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 23:49   #3
collim1
Shower Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Steve View Post
I still have wood on mine, and won't be much help in this regard, but I know a guy with a sage stock and he loves it. Spendy as all get out, but plenty o' rail...

General Firearms Forum

As far as things I wish someone told me before I got one (and particularly before I started reloading for one) - powder burn rates and port pressure. Short version - you want milsurp 7.62 ammo. Commercial .308 uses late blooming (slow burn rate) powders that will batter the heck out of your op rod.

Long version starts on page 10 here.
I just couldn't do that to a beautiful rifle like a M1A
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 23:53   #4
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

They make the gun nose heavy as the Ayatollah, but they also work really well.

FWIW, I'll stick with walnut. Just trying to help.
Zombie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:07   #5
WoodenPlank
Who?

Since you say it's a Scout model, I assume it has the Weaver rail on the upper handguard. If you're not using an optic on that rail, it's possible to replace that rail (or the upper handguard) with a picatinny type rail. That may enable you to use an offset mount to get a light into a forward enough position to make it usable. You can also look into getting a bolt-on section of rail and either screwing it directly into the wood fore-end, or using it in conjunction with a backer plate, then mounting the light to that rail. This will get the light farther forward, and cut down on the shadow cast by the rifle.

I'd also suggest not cheaping out on a light, especially with a .308. Spend the money on a Surefire. Personally, I'd go with a 600 Scout (same light as on my AR) for the greater reach you get with 200 lumens.
WoodenPlank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:33   #6
ArmoryDoc

Springfield Armory M1A. Mid 90's mfg.

General Firearms Forum
ArmoryDoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:57   #7
ArmoryDoc

Here's some advice for you.

CMI mags from 44mag.com are military issue and exactly what you need. Don't get any other knockoff (Korea, etc.).

Stay with 20 round mags only. 30's are a heartache.

Shag that heat shield rail setup. You won't get the accuracy you want out of it. Otherwise, ok for a light only. Scopes ? No go on this rail.

For scopes, SADLAK mount is the cats meow. Don't waste money on a Springfield mount.

Replace your extractor with a military surplus unit. You'll need an empty 30-06 casing to help you switch it out. It's easy.

Shim your gas system. It can greatly increase reliability and dramatically improve accuracy with a scope. Shims are dirt cheap and easily done at home.

I may think of more later.
ArmoryDoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:29   #8
D3S3RT_P3NGU1N

+1 on the CMI mags, they're great

http://www.44mag.com/product/m1a_m14...magazines_usgi

For mounting a light this may be what you're looking for. Plank is right about not cheaping out on the light, get something quality that will last

http://swfa.com/Versa-Pod-Accessory-...il-P50208.aspx

For optics, you said you're looking at HD and use around the farm. A quality red dot like an Aimpoint would be a solid option. However, I would go with a good 1-4 optic to allow for both close range work and more precise longer range shooting. This would be an excellent choice for a very reasonable price.

http://swfa.com/Vortex-1-4x24-Viper-...pe-P44569.aspx

Vortex make some very nice scopes with lots of features for the $$$. They also have some of the best CS in the optics industry backing up their products. The broken circle reticle allows for fast accurate shooting at 1x, while the subtentions allow more precise shooting at longer range when needed. Its also mil/mil so its very easy to use.

Some reticle pics (not mine, just quickly pulled SH for illustration purposes)

1x at 300 yard target

General Firearms Forum

4x at same target

General Firearms Forum

4x with illumination

General Firearms Forum

4x, tree at 75 yards

General Firearms Forum

1x at woods 50 yards (not the best pic)

General Firearms Forum
"To be governed is to be watched, inspected, directed, indoctrinated, numbered, estimated, regulated, commanded, controlled, law-driven, preached at, spied upon, censored, checked, valued, enrolled, by creatures who have neither the right, nor the wisdom nor the virtue to do so."
D3S3RT_P3NGU1N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:39   #9
byf43
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmoryDoc View Post
Springfield Armory M1A. Mid 90's mfg.

General Firearms Forum

Niiiiiiiiiiice stick, Doc!!!

OP,
I've found that the target loads I've worked up using 168 gr Sierra MKs, are just as accurate (to 300 yards - haven't shot any farther with it) by switching to the Sierra GameKing 165 JHP, making for a very lethal round.

I agree with what is said about the SAI mounts, including the Gen3 mount.
Get the Sadlak, Ind. scope mount and Leupold MkIV rings!

There's only one problem that I have with my M1A - it's too darned heavy to carry around. (Not quite 2 ounces shy of 15 lbs!!)

"Live Free. Practice democracy. Make a difference. Love your family and your country." H.N.K. (My Dad) 09/02/1924 - 05/11/2012
byf43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:48   #10
vantage

Magazines and ammo are the best use of money and iron sights are the best use of time.

For light mounts, Midwest Industries also makes a quality side mount that I've used for some time, click here.

General Firearms Forum

General Firearms Forum

I've tried other setups, but the co-witnessed Aimpoint is my favorite so far.

General Firearms Forum

Last edited by vantage; 03-19-2012 at 10:50..
vantage is offline   Reply With Quote