GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:17   #1
qcsmitty

Walther PPQ - FTF's - malfunction or operator error? Help.

I'm concerned about my .40 cal PPQ. I went for my second range trip yesterday and had two FTF (round stopped at bottom of the feed ramp) out of 100 rounds of Fed 180g Champion FMJ. 2% failure rate is totally unacceptable. This appears to be a reocurring theme for this pistol. This has happened with this round as well as my SD round; the Fed HST 180g JHP.

What's the deal with this gun? Is this accepted by the Walther owners as normal? I have never has an issue with "limp-wristing". I find it difficult to buy into that notion.

Does this .40 S&W cal have inherent issues?

Somebody talk me off the ledge!
Old 03-19-2012, 10:05   #2
Shipwreck-The-Sequel
Beretta 92 Nut!

Try something besides CHampion. I quit shooting that junk.

Many people have reported issue with the 9mm on the Beretta Forum. Quit shooting it, and everyone's problems went away. I was getting about 3 jams per 1000 rounds. Not a lot - but damn irritating when its a carry gun. Then, I'd have to put 800-1000 rounds thru it in 2-3 weeks to get my opinion of the gun (for defense) back up.

Ever since I quit shooting Federal CHampion, I've never had another jam in thousands of rounds. I shoot CCI Blazer exclusively in 9mm. I used to use that for years, but it wasn't available locally for 2-3 years. Now it is again, and its all I buy. $2 more per box, but worth it (for 9mm - I do not know the 40 cal prices)

Shipwreck-The-Sequel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:07   #3
P99er
AKA PPQ'er

Limp wristing isn't an issue with a Walther. The gun isn't any good, you need to get rid of it ASAP.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
P99er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 14:13   #4
cowboy1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipwreck-The-Sequel View Post
Try something besides CHampion. I quit shooting that junk.

Many people have reported issue with the 9mm on the Beretta Forum. Quit shooting it, and everyone's problems went away. I was getting about 3 jams per 1000 rounds. Not a lot - but damn irritating when its a carry gun. Then, I'd have to put 800-1000 rounds thru it in 2-3 weeks to get my opinion of the gun (for defense) back up.

Ever since I quit shooting Federal CHampion, I've never had another jam in thousands of rounds. I shoot CCI Blazer exclusively in 9mm. I used to use that for years, but it wasn't available locally for 2-3 years. Now it is again, and its all I buy. $2 more per box, but worth it (for 9mm - I do not know the 40 cal prices)
Did you miss the OPs comment that it was also happening with Federal HST? Is that stuff junk?
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 21:15   #5
qcsmitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by P99er View Post
Limp wristing isn't an issue with a Walther. The gun isn't any good, you need to get rid of it ASAP.
That is an odd recommendation. So you think it is in my best interest to simply sell it at a huge loss rather than give S&W a chance to make it good?
Old 03-19-2012, 22:53   #6
Tiro Fijo

If you venture over the Walther PPQ Forum http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/ppq/ you will find a few similar reports within the first 100 or so rds. and then it disappears. Personally, I think you just need to break it in a little. Clean it well and give it a good lube job to boot.
Tiro Fijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:52   #7
cowboy1964

hickok45 released Walther PPQ Chapter 2 video

Look at that perfect ejection. Hey Glock, this is how it SHOULD work.

cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:32   #8
Shipwreck-The-Sequel
Beretta 92 Nut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy1964 View Post
Did you miss the OPs comment that it was also happening with Federal HST? Is that stuff junk?
Yes, I stupidly missed that part

Shipwreck-The-Sequel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:07   #9
fastbolt

How much experience do you have with shooting lightweight plastic-framed pistols, especially chambered in .40 S&W? "Limp-wristing" (or a grip technique/grip stability issue, as I prefer to consider it) can occur to different folks regardless of whether the pistol has a metal or plastic frame. The accelerated slide velocity and slightly "snappy" (muzzle whip) recoil of the .40 might exacerbate this for someone.

Have you cleaned out the shipping/packing oil from inside the magazines?

Is the pistol lightly, but properly lubricated?

Walther (like other manufacturers ) has continued to make refinements and improvements to their 99 series over the years.

They were able to identify and resolve a magazine body & follower issue causing some occasional feeding issues in the 99 series .40's back on the early 2000's. That was also about the same time their extractors benefited from a minor improvement (hook angle & polish).

Not being able to watch someone shoot the particular PPQ involved, or examine it myself, I can't know what's happening with them and their PPQ.

It's not uncommon to hear the expression (in some variation) that day in & day out, close to 95% of all semiauto pistol feeding stoppages and overall functioning "problems" are induced, unintentionally, but the shooter. Maybe 3-4% are caused by ammunition problems ... and maybe 1-2% are actually gun-related issues.

If you're shooting at a local range where there's an experienced instructor (familiar with shooting plastic-framed pistols), armorer or gunsmith, you might consider asking them to shoot your PPQ (using the same ammunition).

Also, if it were me, after I cleaned the pistol & magazines and properly lubricated the pistol (according to the owner manual), I'd try it again, focusing on consistency of grip technique over the range session.

It's also not uncommon for a bit of shooter fatigue to eventually occur after someone has been shooting 50-100+ rounds with a .40 S&W pistol, either, especially if you're not accustomed to doing so.

It might not hurt to try using some of the Winchester or Remington ammo, such as the USA or Express lines (meaning not the 100-rd value-type packs). Or some Speer.

Personally, I own and use an early production SW9940 (the licensed S&W version of the Walther P99 AS .40), and carried an issued one for a few years (firing many thousands of rounds through both, combined), and I know a friend who's fired more than 60K through his SW9940. (They all ran just fine once the revised Mec-Gar .40 magazines were received and used back in the early 2000's.)

I never particularly cared for the 155gr (and lighter) bullet weight loads in my 99's, but the 165gr & 180 loads I've used over the years have worked well for me.

Just my thoughts.
Sub Club #9; .40 S&W Club #1953; S&W Club #3913
Retired LE - firearms instructor/armorer

Last edited by fastbolt; 03-20-2012 at 12:12..
fastbolt is offline   Reply With Quote