Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:48   #1
cooden

Glock-The Rise of America's Gun--have a new view on Glock

I bought the book "Glock-The Rise of America's Gun". I am almost done reading the book, but there was a chapter that actually has been stuck in my mind. One of the chapters mentions how Gaston Glock thought of the Americans as stupid and thought of himself better than them. I have tried to Google this and find something that can contradict this, but as of yet, I can't find anything. While there is no denying that Gaston Glock created an awesome weapon & he had awesome foresight, his arrogant attitude really pissed me off. Yes, the LEO's, NATO & military purchased his guns from all over the world, but the real bread & butter was selling to the regular citizens of the US. I realize that Smith & Wesson was falling behind & they did get knocked down BUT they have gotten back up, dusted themselves off and the M&P line is giving Glock a serious run for their money. I look at it like Honda/Toyota vs The Big 3--the Big 3 are making a huge comeback with automobiles and posting awesome sales.

Anyone else read this book & feel this way?

I learned on a Glock, I think it is an awesome pistol but it isn't the only pistol out there. I love M&P's, but choose the Glock because of the preban option. I am almost ready to give up the prebans and go back to M&P. I drive Chevy's, maybe it's time I switch to shooting M&P's.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:15   #2
danielspdx

I bought and read this book a number of weeks ago, and have a few lingering thoughts. The book portrayed him as a xenophobic, micromanaging, brilliant egomaniac. Personally, I don't care about that. Also, it seems the company has thrived despite the leadership, due to having a strong product and excellent marketing.

Perhaps the biggest lingering thought I have is about the author. He supports any number of gun control positions and blurs the line between fact and fiction and passes his opinion as fact.

The book, I thought, was a light entertaining read with the exception of the last two chapters, which are blatant gun control propaganda.
danielspdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 13:36   #3
Boats
Not Assimilated

I share Glock's sentiments that at least the Americans who bought his pistol are suckers.

Glocks are the Ruger handguns of the EU. Look like crap. Feel cheap. But hey, they work.

P.T. Barnum was right.
Boats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 16:18   #4
Bimmer1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boats View Post
I share Glock's sentiments that at least the Americans who bought his pistol are suckers.

Glocks are the Ruger handguns of the EU. Look like crap. Feel cheap. But hey, they work.

P.T. Barnum was right.

Was he?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/There%2...n_every_minute
Bimmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 17:04   #5
Boats
Not Assimilated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer1 View Post
That wasn't exactly a refutation, but nonetheless if you want an unambiguously attributed quote that arrives at the same destination, I present to you one H.L. Mencken, who can explain domestic Glock sales:

"No one ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public."
Boats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 17:08   #6
LASTRESORT20
LongTerm-Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielspdx View Post
I bought and read this book a number of weeks ago, and have a few lingering thoughts. The book portrayed him as a xenophobic, micromanaging, brilliant egomaniac. Personally, I don't care about that. Also, it seems the company has thrived despite the leadership, due to having a strong product and excellent marketing.

Perhaps the biggest lingering thought I have is about the author. He supports any number of gun control positions and blurs the line between fact and fiction and passes his opinion as fact.

The book, I thought, was a light entertaining read with the exception of the last two chapters, which are blatant gun control propaganda.

Well done sir!
LASTRESORT20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 17:26   #7
Metal Angel

That's too bad. Sounds like gaston is a ****** bag. Probably won't change my opinion about the firearms themselves. I do think glock is gonna have to do something different here before long because they really haven't changed in 25 years and there are tons of other competitive options for LE. Honestly if I didn't know anything about guns and I walked into a gunshop I would probably see glocks as overpriced, under designed, and completely behind the competition.

...wait, why do I like glocks again?
Metal Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 18:17   #8
Luvdux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Angel View Post
That's too bad. Sounds like gaston is a ****** bag. Probably won't change my opinion about the firearms themselves. I do think glock is gonna have to do something different here before long because they really haven't changed in 25 years and there are tons of other competitive options for LE. Honestly if I didn't know anything about guns and I walked into a gunshop I would probably see glocks as overpriced, under designed, and completely behind the competition.

...wait, why do I like glocks again?

Really. Cause I walk into the gun store and see two types of automatic hand guns. 1911's and guns that look like a glock. Sure there are a few older designs that are still around but not much else. And anything that does not look glockish is way more expensive than a glock.
Luvdux is offline   Reply With Quote