Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-19-2012, 21:47   #1
SickShot

Kimber solo 9mm

Just got the new American Rifleman and they are hot on the new Kimber Solo single-stack 9mm and I gotta say so am IGeneral Firearms Forum!

My question is: beside the Kimber solo and the Keltec PF9, what other single stack sub-compact pocket 9mms are out there???
Glock 19, 4th Gen
Glock 26, 4th Gen

Last edited by SickShot; 03-19-2012 at 21:49..
SickShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 21:50   #2
Folsom_Prison
Brew Crew

Walther PPS, Karh CW9, beretta nano, ruger LC9, sig 290.
Folsom_Prison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 21:57   #3
SickShot

Thank you!

I'm liking the Sig290. . .
Glock 19, 4th Gen
Glock 26, 4th Gen
SickShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 22:27   #4
Folsom_Prison
Brew Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickShot View Post
Thank you!

I'm liking the Sig290. . .
No problem, out of the list I gave you my favorite is the walther PPS. For the record I havnt shot any of said pistols, I've just been doing alot of fondling in gun stores, reading reviews and watching YouTube videos.

The walther has different backstraps, glock like trigger feels good to me that's just my opinion. It breaks down just like a glock.

It has a ambi mag release, which I dig it's location. Could be a plus if your a southpaw.

The Kahr isn't bad but if heard the triggers are iffy.

The nano just seemed blocky to me and really top heavy.

The LC9 seems pretty nice but I'm having a hard time finding one locally without spending more than I want for one.

Good luck brother.
Folsom_Prison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 22:50   #5
Reb 56

The kimber Solo is a cool looking Pistol but it is rather expensive and tends to squirm in your hand due to the smooth front strap,needs some 30 lpi checkering. The sights are nice and it has a good trigger.
Old 03-19-2012, 22:51   #6
Nakanokalronin
JMB & MTK

The Solo is the perfect summer IWB carry gun. Yea, you could put it in a pocket due to it being as big as the P238, just a little heavier and thicker.....

General Firearms Forum

....but with IWB, any shirt can be worn without printing issues.

This is what it looks like now with the Wilson Combat front strap and wood grips.
General Firearms Forum

The PF-9 is nice and could be another consideration but my second and last PF-9 had peening issues on the slide, a poor mag release and an out of spec grip. I changed to the newer mag release and the mags kept dropping. Put my thumb up in the air when shooting to make sure it wasn't me and they still dropped. I then got a new grip from KT but the slide kept getting worse and worse with the peening. Seems there is quite a gap between the serial numbers where peening issue arise from poor heat treating so it's not just a bad batch. If you ask over at the KT forum they'll tell you it rarely comes up but it comes up enough with many guns between serial numbers to make me not want to roll the dice with them again. Luckily, my current P3AT is still a keeper.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Nakanokalronin; 03-19-2012 at 22:55..
Nakanokalronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 23:03   #7
Reb 56

[QUOTE=Nakanokalronin;18733273]The Solo is the perfect summer IWB carry gun. Yea, you could put it in a pocket due to it being as big as the P238, just a little heavier and thicker.....

General Firearms Forum

....but with IWB, any shirt can be worn without printing issues.

This is what it looks like now with the Wilson Combat front strap and wood grips.
General Firearms Forum

That configuration is how Kimber should make them, I love the way your Pistol looks. Did you do the work your self ?
Old 03-20-2012, 00:39   #8
Nakanokalronin
JMB & MTK

Quote:
That configuration is how Kimber should make them, I love the way your Pistol looks. Did you do the work your self ?
The wood grips came from here: http://www.sgmgrips.com/

The screws are just stainless slim line 1911 grip screws.

The front strap was made for a 1911 which I cut to fit the Solo. The CDP model comes with the front and back checkering but it costs more then it's worth. I agree, every Solo should at least come with the front strap checkered. Although the recoil isn't bad, the stock paper thin grips and smooth straps do nothing as far as texture goes unless you like readjusting your grip between shots.

Last edited by Nakanokalronin; 03-20-2012 at 00:44..
Nakanokalronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:22   #9
SigFTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakanokalronin View Post
The wood grips came from here: http://www.sgmgrips.com/

The screws are just stainless slim line 1911 grip screws.

The front strap was made for a 1911 which I cut to fit the Solo. The CDP model comes with the front and back checkering but it costs more then it's worth. I agree, every Solo should at least come with the front strap checkered. Although the recoil isn't bad, the stock paper thin grips and smooth straps do nothing as far as texture goes unless you like readjusting your grip between shots.
I'm second inline at my LGS for a Kimber Solo, can't wait to get it. Thanks for showing your enhancements to the Solo, I look forward to doing the same.
Old 03-20-2012, 13:48   #10
WarEagle32

I am a pocket pistol junkie. Long story short I have or have had just about one of every pocket pistol worth having, or in the case of the Solo gave it a good workout. In my opinion the Sig 290 is the best pocket pistol made. It's tough and a real gun, it feeds any ammo. It's an ounce or two heavier than a Solo, but the 290 is volumetrically very small. Put it right next to a Ruger LCP and you will see what I mean!
WarEagle32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 18:10   #11
Bruce M

Quote:

My question is: beside the Kimber solo and the Keltec PF9, what other single stack sub-compact pocket 9mms are out there???

I believe that the Rohrbaugh is what makes the other choices pale when it comes to a size comparison. It might not be the most economical though...
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 18:34   #12
WarEagle32

I wish I wish could afford a rohrbaugh! I have only held 1 in my life and it was sweet!

Last edited by WarEagle32; 03-20-2012 at 18:35..
WarEagle32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:25   #13
rickbaales

Kahr also makes nice single stacks. I wouldn't get a CW though.
rickbaales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:48   #14
HexHead

Keep in mind Kimber recommends you only shoot 124gr SD ammo, specifically Gold Dots, Golden Sabers or Hydra-Shok through it, even for practice.

Running Wally World 115gr target ammo through it will make it a jam-o-matic.
HexHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:27   #15
SigFTW

The Kimber Solo is a high quality carry gun, and is designed to be used with quality self defiance ammo.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:37   #16
Dexters

Quote:
Just got the new American Rifleman and they are hot on the new Kimber Solo single-stack 9mm and I gotta say so am IGeneral Firearms Forum!

Is Kimber still recommending changing the recoil spring after 1K rounds?

I just don't like that.

Do other similar guns recommend the same thing.
Old 03-21-2012, 17:00   #17
maxpower220

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexters View Post
Is Kimber still recommending changing the recoil spring after 1K rounds?

I just don't like that.

Do other similar guns recommend the same thing.
If you don't like that, then don't get a Rohbargh. They recommend change after 200 rounds (check their website).

I have had no issues running 115gr WWB, PMC rounds through my Solo. Kimber does have a recommended list for the Solo, and it includes several brands and gr bullets. Accuracy with the Solo is Excellent.

I love to read inputs about guns from people who know nothing about it.

Last edited by maxpower220; 03-21-2012 at 17:01..
maxpower220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 17:15   #18
Bruce M

No offense but I suspect that the reduced longevity of the recoil spring is a price for some of the very small pistols. If I could afford a Rohrbaugh, I would not worry about the cost of a few recoil springs. If I had a Ferrari I wouldn't complain about the cost of premium gasoline either.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is online now   Reply With Quote