SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:57   #1
vmann
Controller

pancake holster question/issues....

after years of using kydex holsters, i decided to try a good old fashioned leather pancake holster....

the holster in question is the galco fx, like the fletch, with a thumbreak....

the holster seems to be broken in, while the holster is off my body i can easily draw the weapon and reholster it with ease...

once i strap this thing on my body, this changes...i cant for the life of me draw the pistol from the holster with any ease whatsoever....i have to use 2 hands to get the thing out....

i am using a high quaility bull hide leather gun belt, so the belt is not the issue...what seems to be the issue is when you tighten up your belt it also tightens up the holster...

is there anything i can do, i cant imagine wearing this rig if i cant pull the pistol when i need it....

anyone have any experience with this and what should i do to make the holster useable....

U.S. ARMY
vmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:11   #2
VELO

Do the old plastic baggie trick.

Put your gun in a plastic baggie, then into the holster. Wear it around like that for an evening. Then try again. If that doesn't work, Galco makes some stuff that will slick up the holster a bit.

Just keep drawing from it and it'll break in.
VELO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:21   #3
vmann
Controller

also, i might add that on a few occasions when i try to reholster the pistol, its sometimes starts to come out of battery....i suspect a lot more break in is required....

U.S. ARMY
Old 03-20-2012, 10:34   #4
VELO

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmann View Post
also, i might add that on a few occasions when i try to reholster the pistol, its sometimes starts to come out of battery....i suspect a lot more break in is required....
Yep. Draw, re-holster, draw, re-holster.....a lot!

Regarding the battery issue, just keep your thumb on the back of the slide while re-holstering until you get it broken in.

ETA: How do I know this? I went through the same thing with my Galco combat master.

Last edited by VELO; 03-20-2012 at 10:35..
VELO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:07   #5
Bren
NRA Life Member

Spray the inside with silicone spray lubricant or wet the holster and let it dry on the gun (put the gun in plastic or use a dummy if you are worried about rust).
Bren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:10   #6
Bill Lumberg
BTF Inventor

Normal. It should be common practice to place your thumb on the back of the slide when holstering. As for break-in, wearing the gun in the holster is the most beneficial break-in. If doing that for a day doesn't quite get it, place the unloaded weapon in a thin piece of women's hosiery or men's thin dress sock, holster and draw a few times. This will debur the holster. I've never had an FX but the fletch is an excellent holster.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmann View Post
Old 03-20-2012, 22:30   #7
vmann
Controller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lumberg View Post
Normal. It should be common practice to place your thumb on the back of the slide when holstering. As for break-in, wearing the gun in the holster is the most beneficial break-in. If doing that for a day doesn't quite get it, place the unloaded weapon in a thin piece of women's hosiery or men's thin dress sock, holster and draw a few times. This will debur the holster. I've never had an FX but the fletch is an excellent holster.
thanks guys...the fx is pretty much the same holster as the fletch, but it has a different finish on the inside of the holster, still looks like unfinished leather to me....

U.S. ARMY