Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-20-2012, 20:02   #1
Oso

Michigan SB59

Please all Michigan CPL holders and supporter visit the following link. Read through the information and if you agree, contact the Senators mentioned and let your voices be heard. This is being sponsored by Michigan Open Carry, but is actually aimed towards all CPL holders, whether you carry open or concealed. This is not an "be all, end all" bill, but is a step in the right direction.

http://us4.campaign-archive1.com/?u=...&id=27498eb031
Oso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 21:04   #2
xmanhockey7

This is a great bill that I think has a legitiment chance of passing. It's sad that our best chance of passing such a bill, at least as far as PFZs are concerned, is to require even more training! Oh well it's not required to get your CPL unless you want to be exempt from the PFZs but still (of course OC is legal in those places). Overall a great bill that would greatly benefit CPL holders.

Quote:
PFZs are (nearly) a thing of the past
A licensee can currently carry openly in so-called PFZs such as schools and hospitals. This will simply allow them the freedom to put a jacket or other clothing over the firearm.

The substituted SB-59 creates a way for any Michigan Citizen to get an exemption from the so-called "Pistol Free Zones" (PFZs). Every person will have at least one of three avenues available to them to get an exemption to the PFZs currently listed in MCL 28.425o:
Any person who has a CPL can take an extra day of class resembling the NRA Personal Protection Outside the Home (Part 1) (Additional 94 rounds of live-fire required) (OR)
A person without a CPL can take Personal Protection Inside the Home (currently required for a CPL - Concealed Pistol License) PLUS Personal Protection Outside the Home (OR)
Any person who is certified to teach a CPL class....
SHALL be issued or re-issued a CPL that has the "PFZ Exemption" Box checked upon request. First time applicants and renewals still have to pay the $105 application fee. Persons with licenses that are still valid may be required to pay a small/nominal ($10ish) fee to have their licensed re-issued with the PFZ Exemption box checked. If you don't want an exemption and you want a CPL, you simply take the currently required course.
Gun Boards no more -- Harsh penalties for non-compliant counties
No other “shall issue” state in the nation uses a local gun board to issue CPLs, and instead issue through a single local or state agency. Under the new SB 59 the County Gun boards will be eliminated. In their place the resident County Sheriff will be the sole determiner of issuance or denial. Before you react negatively...read more.

Currently, the way the Gun Board is structured board members can point the finger at one another saying "I voted 'no' because my vote wouldn't have mattered as the other two members were going to vote 'no'." Passing the buck ends with this bill. But what if I have an anti-gun Sheriff, you ask? Read more...

If your CPL is denied, you may bring action in Circuit Court. Once you prevail (for any reason), the County SHALL be ordered to pay your reasonable/customary attorney fees and court costs. Wait, it gets better...

If the Court finds that the denial of your CPL was "arbitrary and capricious" the County may be ordered to pay an additional $500 to you.

If, for whatever reason, you lose your court case, you will never be required to pay the County's legal fees (but they won't be required to pay yours in such a case either).

45 Days or it's free (plus a free temporary license)
The County Sheriff shall have 45 days from the date of your application to make a determination on your license. If they fail to approve or deny you within 45 days, a few things happen:
The County portion of your fee SHALL be refunded to you.
The clerk SHALL issue you a temporary license which will remain valid until the Sheriff acts on your application (approving or denying it).
CPLs SHALL be mailed directly to your home once issued
Gone are the days where you get a postcard in the mail instruction you to come to the County Clerk's office to pickup your CPL. Going forward the CPL SHALL be mailed directly to you. The County Clerk will also be required to send you notice 3-6 months prior to the expiration of your current CPL.

No more nickle and diming us
Although the law sets the CPL fee at $105, many counties “nickel-and-dime” applicants with extra mandatory fees for things like laminating and photos. The CPL fee will get you a CPL, like a driver’s license fee gets you a driver’s license out the door.

Counties will be required to accept a class certificate issued in the past 5 years
Right now certain counties have made arbitrary and unlawful policies stating they will not accept a first time application if the class certificate was issued more than a year ago. SB 59 would make a unified standard of 5 years for you to apply for your CPL after you get your class certificate. Renewals would not require a new certificate. If you accidentally let your CPL lapse, the will be a 5 year grace period (after the expiration of your CPL) where you will not be required to get new training and a new certificate.

Last edited by xmanhockey7; 03-20-2012 at 21:05..
xmanhockey7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 21:36   #3
steveksux
Massive Member

Hope you're right.... However there's been bills set to eliminate PFZs in Michigan for years. Never makes it out of committee let alone pass.

Just sayin..

Worst case, if this doesn't pass, there's SB57, SB58, HB4009, HB4010, hopefully they won't go the way of HB4348, HB4760, HB4759, and the others...

Randy
steveksux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 22:24   #4
xmanhockey7

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveksux View Post
Hope you're right.... However there's been bills set to eliminate PFZs in Michigan for years. Never makes it out of committee let alone pass.

Just sayin..

Worst case, if this doesn't pass, there's SB57, SB58, HB4009, HB4010, hopefully they won't go the way of HB4348, HB4760, HB4759, and the others...

Randy
I don't think the other ones included extra training.
Old 03-21-2012, 00:29   #5
Oso

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveksux View Post

Just sayin..

Randy
Can't give up. Gotta keep trying
Old 03-21-2012, 00:32   #6
Oso

Being able to carry in PFZs is a big deal for me. I have 4 school age kids and spend a lot of time in PFZs.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:08   #7
xmanhockey7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso View Post
Being able to carry in PFZs is a big deal for me. I have 4 school age kids and spend a lot of time in PFZs.
I live in and go to PFZs everyday (college dorms and classrooms). Problem is they're not preempting colleges so I still wouldn't be able to carry concealed once I got my CPL because the school prohibits firearms on campus.
Old 03-22-2012, 13:25   #8
xmanhockey7

Passed Senate Committee and is now moving to the floor where they're hoping to vote on it by next week!
Old 12-18-2012, 17:28   #9
shooter1234

And?...

G19 sold. G26 sold.
G26 gen 4 G17 gen 4 G37 Gen 4.
shooter1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 17:31   #10
David_Ely
GAP'r

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter1234 View Post
And?...
It's just waiting for the governor's signature. The CT shooting has him dragging his feet.
Bull Dawgs #1966
David_Ely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 17:46   #11
David_Ely
GAP'r

UPDATE! Governor Snyder just vetoed SB-59!
Bull Dawgs #1966
David_Ely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 21:13   #12
Hamguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Ely View Post
UPDATE! Governor Snyder just vetoed SB-59!
Candy *****. He just lost about 300,000 votes in the next election.
Hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 21:25   #13
Unistat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamguy View Post
Candy *****. He just lost about 300,000 votes in the next election.
Not to mention all the people he pissed of with Right-to-Work. He will need those votes come re-election, too bad he pissed them away.
Old 12-19-2012, 18:40   #14
SCmasterblaster

The only PFZs in VT are schools and post offices. Any adult non-felon is free to CCW = no permits.

Last edited by SCmasterblaster; 12-19-2012 at 18:41..
SCmasterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carry, cpl, michigan, sb59, senate bill