Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-20-2012, 23:43   #1
DaveUSAF

Why the difference?

As with everyone, I have some handguns that I shoot well and some not so well. While talking with a friend I finally realized that I seem to shoot striker fired handguns just fine but if there is an exposed hammer, then not so well.

Example, my Glock 21, Springfield armory XD9 and XD9 Tactical, I can usually keep the shots on a 3X5 card at around 20 yards but the Beretta 92, Taurus 99, Sig 225, Sig 2022, Ruger P85, I am lucky to keep them on a 8 1/2 X 11 notebook paper at the same range.

Is there really a diiference in the hammerfall, maybe with the grip I am using.

I'll entertain any ideas.

Thanks

DAVEUSAF

Last edited by DaveUSAF; 03-20-2012 at 23:44..
DaveUSAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 00:04   #2
TSAX
USAF Vet

I shoot the Glocks, XDs, M&Ps better than the Beretta 92, Sigs, HKs with the DA/SA mainly because of the consistency of the DA pull. The first shot 10 lb pull in the DA/SA guns then to a 4.4 is something that many can do well but I'm not a big fan. Also I find that I like the way Glocks, XDs, M&Ps fit in my hand better than the others.

So grip and trigger pull for me is the reason for the difference. Also the weight and feel of the Glocks, XDs, M&Ps are better in my hands than the DA/SA I've mentioned, but I will say the Sig Pro 2022 feels better than the P228 for me although I think the P228 is one of the best guns Ive ever shot. I like the polymer guns better I guess.

Everyone is different its not weird.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

GSSF Member
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

NRA Member

Last edited by TSAX; 03-21-2012 at 00:08..
TSAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 00:05   #3
DJ Niner

DaveUSAF, I guess I'd like to know how many different loads you've tried in each gun. The less-expensive ammunition isn't usually the most accurate stuff in every weapon; if you find a gun that shoots it really well, that's a bonus. Sometimes you have to try the more expensive stuff to get good results. I have several 9mm Glocks that shoot Gold Dot loads really well, but I can't really afford to feed them a steady diet of this stuff.

I've seen more than a few 9mms that needed a heavy bullet to shoot well. Not that they shot EVERY heavy-bullet load well, but the loads they shot best always had heavy bullets. I once had an old Gen1 G17 that would shoot several different 147 grain loads into one ragged hole at 20 yards; I should have held on to that one, as it may have been the most accurate G17 I've ever seen, but I just didn't realize at the time how rare that kind of performance was.

Try different bullet weights, try different bullet styles, and try to get a few different folks to shoot for accuracy if you know some other competent shooters. Occasionally, folks will begin to believe that certain guns will never shoot well, and you know what? As long as they are the person shooting them, they'll probably be right. If you convince yourself that a gun doesn't shoot well, sometimes it's hard to give it a fair shake in the future; getting someone else to give it a try may produce different (better) results, and once you see these results, suddenly the gun may shoot better for you.

Edited to add: The only gun on your list that I've had a lot of experience with is the Beretta 92 (and its military kin, the M9). Having shot literally hundreds of different M9s over the years, and owning two different 92F models myself, I would think that unless it is severely worn, there HAS to be at least one load that will shoot under 3" @20 yards through your Beretta.

Good luck!

...The second most dangerous thing to do is Turning Your Life Around. Going by local news reports, if you start Turning Your Life Around, you will inexplicably wind up face down in a convenience store parking lot at 0300 with a bag of somebody else's money in your hand, a chalk outline, and half a magazine's worth of the taxpayers' bullets in your ass. -- Tamara K.

Link >>>

Last edited by DJ Niner; 03-21-2012 at 00:10..
DJ Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 00:11   #4
DaveUSAF

I have shot 115, 124, and 147 grain from each handgun, WWB, Federal, and Remington.

The funny thing is, the SIG's have the best feeling grip by far of any handgun I own. I really want to use the 2022 for CCW but until/unless I get better with it, I am sticking with the XD9
DaveUSAF.
Old 03-21-2012, 00:13   #5
DJ Niner

Maybe try some CCI? The Original Blazer aluminum-case stuff shoots very well in many of my Glocks, and I've used it with good results in other gun brands, too.
...The second most dangerous thing to do is Turning Your Life Around. Going by local news reports, if you start Turning Your Life Around, you will inexplicably wind up face down in a convenience store parking lot at 0300 with a bag of somebody else's money in your hand, a chalk outline, and half a magazine's worth of the taxpayers' bullets in your ass. -- Tamara K.

Link >>>
DJ Niner is offline   Reply With Quote