Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-21-2012, 14:44   #1
cphilip

I feel Pretty...

Picked up this little lady today for $400 at my local. Its a Ladysmith model 60-14 LS. No box unfortunately... its the .357 version.

You don't run into these every day it seems. Particularly a used one. They are pretty limited run. This one has the lock though. Not sure how old it is. Minty though.

Going to the wife. Bob the hammer? Or not?

General Firearms Forum
Old 03-21-2012, 14:45   #2
TN.Frank
Mad Hatter

Leave it "as is", it'll be worth more later. Nice looking revolver, congrats.
Old 03-21-2012, 14:48   #3
cphilip

I was thinking of trying to find another spare hammer for it first... I just think she is going to end up purse carrying it is the only reason I am considering it.
Old 03-21-2012, 14:49   #4
bac1023

Congrats!

I'd leave it like that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 15:01   #5
SigFTW

Very nice find!
Old 03-21-2012, 16:46   #6
2740dmx

Very nice!
Leave it stock.....those are relatively scarce.
Old 03-21-2012, 17:15   #7
oldnoob

Where is your dress?

Congrats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

My mini forum.
oldnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 17:17   #8
porschedog

Very nice. Good going!

NRA Life Member / Creepy-Ass Cracker
Florida Glockers #172126
porschedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 17:26   #9
pennlineman

Good gun, congrats!
pennlineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 17:32   #10
Berto
woo woo

You might be able to find a Waller and Son's shroud for the hammer so you can keep it stock.
Cool shooter, BTW.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:19   #11
cphilip

Those are hideous though. But they do work I guess. I don't think I want to do anything unless its to a replacement hammer So for now I guess its her range and glove box gun for the time being. See if I can find a original box for it in the mean time. I need to look up the serial number first to see what style box it should have had. Might not have been much depending on the year.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:43   #12
cphilip

Erm... I forgot how dang hard it was to look up S&W serial numbers... does anyone know (or have the book) that can tell me what a DBP prefix serial number indicates? Specifically a DBP 26XX

Added on edit: I find one reference to a Chief Special with a DBP prefix that states it was made in 2007 and it has the Blue plastic box with egg crate foam in it. I think this one is similar date range.

This one I guess... http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...&hasFirearm2=N

Last edited by cphilip; 03-22-2012 at 08:02..
cphilip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:43   #13
Bren
NRA Life Member

Nice gun. I've carried J frames with full hammers since 1988 and others in my family have carried them since the 60's. Nobody ever had a problem with the hammer, but many times I and others have used it for more accurate shots. Leave the hammer.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:06   #14
Edmo01

Here... Let me hold your purse while you shoot.

Just kiddin'. Nice gun. My wife has as a model 60 snubbie with a hammer as her backup handgun. Generally, she now carries a G26 and has a G19 for house duty.

Edmo
Edmo01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 17:42   #15
hogship
It's MY Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
Nice gun. I've carried J frames with full hammers since 1988 and others in my family have carried them since the 60's. Nobody ever had a problem with the hammer, but many times I and others have used it for more accurate shots. Leave the hammer.
My findings are the same. The hammer isn't a problem if you just train yourself to draw with your thumb on the hammer spur......nothing ever snags that way. There is one distinct advantage to this........as long as your thumb is on the hammer spur, you have the option of single action, or just let your thumb swing to a normal grip and you can choose double action.

Bobbed hammers permanently eliminate that option from the equation........

ooc
General Firearms Forum
Visit my Vietnam photo album, 1968-69 click on link

hogship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 17:50   #16
collim1
Shower Time!

I dont like hammers on revolvers personally. I say keep the factory hammer, but have a smith (or yourself if you know how) and put a bobbed hammer in.

The only revolver I have with a spur is a SP101 in .22lr. For defensive purposes DA is the way to go.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 18:42   #17
cphilip

Keep in mind guys (and those of you with tendencies to be feminine too) that this is going to be the Wife's and so I have little (ok.. really NO) control over her habits. I will try and explain it to her but I am thinking ahead here as to what the problems may be. And this one always comes up when Purse carry (I hate purse carry but I resign myself to the fact its going to happen) in that the spur it a problem. Maybe this is simply a urban legend though? How many times have I read about a ND from a woman taking a hammered revolver from her purse? None that I can recall. So where did this come from?

One further thing to note is that she has trained one time on a Bersa Thunder as well and done well with it. She loaded her own mags and racked her own slide and did 50 rounds. But thats all the time we have had so far. We will repeat that but we will also introduce this into the rotation just to see if she takes to it quicker as her date to take her CWP class is fast approaching and I don't really have time to make her proficient in...well... either of them for that matter. She has resisted any previous efforts to shoot and think about carry from me in the past and I just left it alone. So suddenly two weeks back she announces to me she is going to take the class and its in two weeks! Seem her Sister wanted to do it and so now she does. Great! But its put me in a dither getting her some little bit of proficiency in that limited time. So thats the situation... doesn't have anything to do with the hammer at this moment. But its the reason she now owns both the Bersa Thunder and a Revolver. Because I may have to simply tell her to go with the revolver for the class and lets work on the semi auto after that. But... depends on our outing tomorrow. We'll see what she is most comfortable with and she will do what she wants. But at least she will have a choice.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:05   #18
fwm

As I carry and shoot a .357 SW340PD, let me make a suggestion.

Swap out the grips for some of those hard rubber grips. If you plan to shoot .357 in it, and you should, the rubber gives you a better grip and absorbs some of the recoil.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:45   #19
adamg01

That "Lady" would be more than a handfull with magnum loads. I would have bought it at that price in a second.
adamg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:21   #20
cphilip

Don't think she's ever going to see .357 magnum loads.

One small hitch in the plan is that the gun is returning to S&W as its not always locking up and resetting when fired. I had the first chance to test it today and it failed to reset and lock three times through only 10 rounds. So back to my Gunstore and he is preparing it to ship out today back to Smith. They are a big Smith dealer. Shouldn't be a problem and its on their dime but it is going to be a week or two now before I can give it to her and let her shoot it. So she is going to have to stick to the Bersa for the class but thats alright. We should be able to squeeze in a session this afternoon between showers and she was doing real well with it last weekend.