GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-21-2012, 15:37   #1
duallydc

help, m&p ftfeed, round caught under firing pin?

Dry fire m&p to practice trigger press at range. Gun goes "click." I take loaded mag, insert, from closed slide position I power stroke slide, and get slide locked up about 1/2 inch from closed position. Upon inspection I found that round is stuck under protruding firing pin as slide moved forward to chamber round. Happens every time I do this sequence.

NOW IF I dry fire, "click", power stroke slide from closed position on empty gun with no mag, slide returns to closed position, insert loaded mag, power stroke (for second time) slide from slide closed position, fresh round is loaded without issue every time I do THIS sequence.

Upon inspection the firing pin recesses itself flush upon the start of the second power stroke of the slide, whereas the first cycling of the slide the firing pin will protrude the entire cycle of the slide and catch/jam up under it any round attempted to be loaded.

I contacted S&W support, nice person, but I don't feel they grasped what I was saying, and noted I was having this issue because when firing a live round the slide cycles much faster than if I were manually racking the slide....? I don't feel they really answered the whole firing pin protruding and round getting caught part.

What's more, with my glock 23 I can dry fire, insert mag, power stroke from closed slide position, and seat live round first time every time, no second slide cycle needed like with m&p.

I tried to log into the m-p forum but kept getting an error when I would try to register, and I found zero posts about this particular problem, closest thing was problems with apex extactor, which I don't feel is the issue.

I really want to like this new gun but am beginning to kick myself when I was holding a new gen 3 model 17 glock and a new m&p full size 9, and chose to "Try something different" vs go with what I've trusted on duty and for home/social use.

I've attached a picture taken with my phone to better illustrate my problem, thanks as always,
-Daniel
Attached Thumbnails
General Firearms Forum - Click for larger version  
duallydc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 15:46   #2
s&wfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by duallydc View Post
Dry fire m&p to practice trigger press at range. Gun goes "click." I take loaded mag, insert, from closed slide position I power stroke slide, and get slide locked up about 1/2 inch from closed position. Upon inspection I found that round is stuck under protruding firing pin as slide moved forward to chamber round. Happens every time I do this sequence.

NOW IF I dry fire, "click", power stroke slide from closed position on empty gun with no mag, slide returns to closed position, insert loaded mag, power stroke (for second time) slide from slide closed position, fresh round is loaded without issue every time I do THIS sequence.

Upon inspection the firing pin recesses itself flush upon the start of the second power stroke of the slide, whereas the first cycling of the slide the firing pin will protrude the entire cycle of the slide and catch/jam up under it any round attempted to be loaded.

I contacted S&W support, nice person, but I don't feel they grasped what I was saying, and noted I was having this issue because when firing a live round the slide cycles much faster than if I were manually racking the slide....? I don't feel they really answered the whole firing pin protruding and round getting caught part.

What's more, with my glock 23 I can dry fire, insert mag, power stroke from closed slide position, and seat live round first time every time, no second slide cycle needed like with m&p.

I tried to log into the m-p forum but kept getting an error when I would try to register, and I found zero posts about this particular problem, closest thing was problems with apex extactor, which I don't feel is the issue.

I really want to like this new gun but am beginning to kick myself when I was holding a new gen 3 model 17 glock and a new m&p full size 9, and chose to "Try something different" vs go with what I've trusted on duty and for home/social use.

I've attached a picture taken with my phone to better illustrate my problem, thanks as always,
-Daniel

Why are you power stroking your gun? What the heck is that, anyway? Do you do pushups to get a good pump, roll up your sleeves, and pull with all you've got? Do you hook your gun up to a diesel engine and let it rip?

Why not just drop the mag and MEGASTROKE!!!! the slide back? Push the back of the bullet down from the top and gently caress stroke it?
s&wfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 15:49   #3
Z71bill

I just looked at my M&P compact -

My striker (firing pin) spring pushed the firing pin back - I could not get it to stay sticking out - unless I held it out.

I assume if yours stays sticking out you need to take the back off your slide - I bet or it is full of crud - or you have a defective spring.

You should also do a firing pin safety block check -

Last edited by Z71bill; 03-21-2012 at 15:50..
Z71bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 15:51   #4
Z71bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by s&wfan View Post
Why are you power stroking your gun?
Maybe he is a Ford diesel guy?
Z71bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 15:52   #5
TN.Frank
Mad Hatter

First off Thank You for not saying "Jammed", I get so sick of people saying "My gun jammed", that totally tells me NOTHING. FTF I understand and if the firing pin isn't retracting back into the slide then there's either something messed up with the firing pin block in the slide that's not letting it go back or maybe the firing pin spring is broken.
Google how to take the slide apart and pull the firing pin out and look things over, shouldn't be too hard to do if it's anything at all like a Glock. If you find something broken then replace and clean things up and get back to us.
Old 03-21-2012, 16:05   #6
TSAX
USAF Vet

Powerstroke is one of the Travis Haley formerly of Magpul phrases. The Art of the Handgun DVD where they used the M&P 9. Pretty good video.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

GSSF Member
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

NRA Member

Last edited by TSAX; 03-21-2012 at 16:07..
TSAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 16:06   #7
TSAX
USAF Vet

We all have power "stroked" in one fashion or another

GSSF Member

NRA Member
TSAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 16:24   #8
TN.Frank
Mad Hatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSA View Post
We all have power "stroked" in one fashion or another
Old 03-21-2012, 16:40   #9
High Altitude

Your issue is that the sear is not resetting properly, so the sear is not catching the lug of the firing pin.

OR

The firing pin is some how skipping over the sear.

M&Ps, before S&W updated the sear spring, would get sear bounce.

You need to call S&W, explain, have them email you a call tag and mail the pistol to them.
High Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 17:04   #10
duallydc

s&wfan - MEGASTROKE, Wow, very fun, I was cracking up, my wife was looking at me wondering what was so funny!

Z71Bill - after a second slide rack (or MEGASTROKE) the pin/stryker stays in, no further problems...I bought the gun new, took it fully apart including back of slide, cleaned stryker, and channel stryker sits in, this happened before I even put my 40 rounds down range the first time...) BUT each time I dry fire and stroke it once, pin stays out... HA and while I had two fords, neither were deisel...

TSA - Exactly, I actually just watched a lot of that video so "Powerstroke" is in my head right now

High Altitude & TN. Frank - I will take the slide apart (ugh, not NEAR as easy as glock, should have gotten the G17 and called it a day...) look things over, for wear etc..., throw it back together and see if this still happens.

I just find it odd after a second slide rack things run great. AND if I don't dry fire the thing, and just run the magazine down to empty, reload and run some more, no problems, what I'd expect it to do.

Part of me feels this is a quirck of the weapon and is finnicky with dry firing (unless other M&P owners can dry fire theirs, and observe the firing pin on the first slide rack retracted as it comes forward back into battery as if it were going to seat a new round). This only happens to mine the second time I rack the slide, on the first the firing pin stays protruding...everything else works... alright, I'm going to break out the pins and hammer and practice my MEGA-POWER-take-down-skills .
Old 03-21-2012, 18:05   #11
duallydc

Okay so without removing the extractor, things are more straight forward, back plate came off easy, everything looks pristine inside. While I had things apart I also took off the apex hard sear and replaced with factory sear, no change (besides trigger weight), and also the apex RAM, but also no change. I also noticed that if I insert a round into the breach by hand, no magazine, the slide will not lock close, it stops about 1/4 inch from close. Thoughts?
Old 03-21-2012, 19:11   #12
duallydc

SUCCESS! After I took apart the stryker assembly and put it back together, suddenly the problem is gone, no more stick-outy stryker pin. What did I change? Okay, something in the stryker assembly... back apart, again. Looking at it, not many pieces, "Hmmm... I wonder what I did...I wonder what would happen if I turned around backwards the little c shaped plastic spring capture cup (not sure technical term) that is placed on the end of the stryker...?" put it back together, yep, I just re-created my original problem with the striker sticking out the first slide rack but not the second. Back apart, turn it around THE RIGHT WAY, back together, no sticky-outy. YEEHAAW!!!

So with the capture cup turned backwards, it compressed the spring just enough extra that it wouldn't reset by spring compression alone, not until it was mechanically cocked back at the completion of the first slide stroke. Then it was cocked and locked in the rear position and mechanically couldn't poke out period. Not sure if that's actually the right physics/mechanical explanation (took physics as a pass/fail grade in college) but it makes sense in my mind. But the spring itself still was fine overall and allowed for successful striking of the primers. Thanks for all the great input and laughs. I think I'm going to pop in a movie and POWER STROKE my gun some more.

Last edited by duallydc; 03-21-2012 at 19:12..
Old 03-21-2012, 20:17   #13
glockdoc21

So in 12 posts we went from "my M&P is junk and something's wrong with it" to "it wasn't broke so I fixed it til it was". Posted by a proud M&P owner

Last edited by glockdoc21; 03-21-2012 at 20:17..
glockdoc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 20:19   #14
High Altitude

Good news.

Power stroke away.
High Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote