Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:41   #1
Petrie

Beretta 92 question.

I have two older Beretta 92s. One is a 1997 92fs, the other is an 85 92sb compact. Both shoot great and are reliable, so no complaints there. But, with both of them I can move the saftey/ decocking lever to the position shown in the below picture and it will stay there and the gun will not fire. It's just as if it was in safe. The lever is moved far enough where it disengages the trigger bar from the sear.
General Firearms Forum

Do all Berettas do this, even new ones? If anyone with a beretta could check and see if there's does this too I'd appreciate it.
I have a stoegar cougar that has the same type of decocker/saftey, but it is under enough spring presure that it is either going to be up in the fire position or down in the safe postion. It snaps into the fire postion and when you try to move it down the spring pressure will move it back to fire position if released unless it gets clicked all the way down into the saftey "notch" that the detent plunger goes into. And I had a 3rd gen s&w auto that, from what I remember, couldn't be moved to this position in the picture either becasue there was enough spring pressure holding it up in the fire position.

I asked this very same question in two seperate posts in the Beretta forum, and while I got over 100 views no one aswered my posts. I don't know if they thought I was a Beretta basher or was dumb becasue I didn't know that all Beretta 92s had a saftey/ decocker that cold be moved into a midway postion between fire and safe. appreciate any responses.
Petrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:08   #2
freedom790

Both my duty M9 and my personal M92A1 flip onto fire with no hitches, once the selector moves the slightest bit it goes all the way. Going to safe, however, it seems I have to move just over half-way before it flips to safe, otherwise the selector just kind of sits in the middle, but the gun still will not fire.

Sounds like yours is operating normally.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:23   #3
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
DirtyThirty fan

There is no "intermediate" position. The safety/decocker is either on or off.
So the position you are in is simply in between them both, not safe.

My Inox 92fs will not ballance between positions, I would expect
you have a worn part, weak spring or gummed up action.
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:42   #4
freedom790

I should have expounded on that a little more in my initial. When I mentioned that mine will "hang" between the fire and safe options, it is not a setting, nor should it be used as such.

If in doubt, I'd say have it checked out.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:45   #5
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
DirtyThirty fan

So you are saying you can "ballance" the lever between positions.
I would say that could be normal for a older Beretta with a good round count.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:05   #6
freedom790

Quote:
Originally Posted by faawrenchbndr View Post
So you are saying you can "ballance" the lever between positions.
I would say that could be normal for a older Beretta with a good round count.
It doesn't so much balance, but if I ease it into position i can get it to hang in between the two. If I give it even the slightest bump or shake though it switches back to fire. Heres a picture I just took, this is as far as I can get it to go without switching back to safe.

General Firearms Forum

Once past that point it snaps to safe, going back to fire there is no travel in the selector prior to it just flipping to fire.

My M9 at work does the same thing, but is easier to get it to hang in between Safe and Fire. I'm pretty sure my M9 was made in the early 90s, so it's an older gun and I'd expect that.

If the OP's Beretta doesn't just slide right into the intermediate position (ETA: Like a third setting was built into it or something) and hang there, it sounds like normal operation. It just shouldn't be used as a safety. However I am neither now, or have ever been, a gunsmith. Just a 3p0 with a little time in.

Last edited by freedom790; 03-22-2012 at 09:08..
freedom790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:47   #7
inetjanitor

Inside that safety lever is a spring and detent on both sides that ride in a channel. Dirt, grit, or just a weak spring could cause this. There is a detent on the end of travel that keeps the lever in position. Anywhere outside of the stops, you are risking it snapping back into place. It's a pita, but a detail strip of the slide safety and cleaning might help.
inetjanitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:51   #8
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
DirtyThirty fan

Interesting,.......I'd say worn parts, weak spring, or gummed up action
is to blame for this. My unfired Itallian 92s does not do this as well as my Inox.
I can not get either to "ballance" between positions.
Old 03-22-2012, 13:32   #9
ithaca_deerslayer

Once you start moving the decocker at all, you are rotating the firing pin out of alignment.

Hopefully yours is able to stay in the fire position when you put it there. And stay in the safe position when you put it over there.

Not sure I'd try to put it in the inbetween position. Only a problem in my view if it tended to gravitate to the inbetween position instead of the other two.

Last edited by ithaca_deerslayer; 03-22-2012 at 13:33..
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 16:55   #10
Petrie

my 92fs isn't near as bad. the slightest movement form this position and it goes up to fire. Just tapping gun and it will spring up. The 85 will click up and stay up from saftey, but the springyness is kinda gone once it's all the way up.
My main concern is that when I holster my 92s the decocking lever can be rotated into this intermediary position just by bumbing the holster top. (which is how i noticed this in the first place) In the unlikly event I had to draw in a self-defense situation the gun wouldn't fire until I flipped the saftey back up the rest of the way.

I'd like to detail strip the decocking lever and see if I could rememdy the situation. I've got two of them so I might just pop it apart and see what I find. It might just be grime like someone else said, but I've hit multifly times with gunscrubber and than relubed it with no fix. weak spring or metally burr is possible. I'd appreciate any tips on the detail strip.

But here is the kicker! It doesn't do it when the slide is removed. It's perfect. lots of spring. I won't stay in the half position at all. So, it's like the pressure of one of the levers in the slide is conteracting the springs in the decocking lever.

Last edited by Petrie; 03-22-2012 at 16:59..
Old 03-22-2012, 17:03   #11
inetjanitor

There are some great videos on YouTube. Biggest tip - when you drive the 2 right side pins out, before anything else, put the whole slide in a ziplock bag. Then remove the right safety lever and left safety assembly. The 2 detente and springs like to visit the moon, and the bag keeps it all handy.
Old 03-22-2012, 17:06   #12
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
DirtyThirty fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by inetjanitor View Post
There are some great videos on YouTube. Biggest tip - when you drive the 2 right side pins out, before anything else, put the whole slide in a ziplock bag. Then remove the right safety lever and left safety assembly. The 2 detente and springs like to visit the moon, and the bag keeps it all handy.

Speaking from experience?!

Wish I knew about that a few years ago!
Old 03-22-2012, 17:15   #13
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

I've seen a couple that won't do that, but most will. You're fine.
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 17:21   #14
inetjanitor

Finally found the vid that I like.

Old 03-22-2012, 17:23   #15
inetjanitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by faawrenchbndr View Post
Speaking from experience?!

Wish I knew about that a few years ago!
I have at least 2 pistols that have tried to get their springs registered by NASA. It's like a right of passage to gain admittance to the top shelf of the safe.
Old 03-22-2012, 17:27   #16
Petrie

Pinpointed the problem. The decocking lever in the slide kinda hangs up on the decocking lever. On the 85 its pretty shinny where the those two surfaces touch. Maybe it just needs to wear in. I'm not sure how many rounds have been through the 92sb-c I picked it up in a trade not too long ago. It looks minty on the outside, but on the inside there is a fair amount of shiny aluminum on the rails. Maybe someone shot her dry for a while? Anyways she shoots great and the blued slide sure is pretty. Kind of a shinny finish on the aluminum frame. Here's a picture.

General Firearms Forum
Old 03-22-2012, 19:13   #17
ithaca_deerslayer

Nice looking gun. I have a 92FS and a 92FS compact.
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 19:43   #18
Petrie

Really appreciate you guys responding. Seems to me that some Berettas just do this to varying extents. I don't think at this point I'll take apart anything. I just got these two berettas and haven't shot them that much so maybe they'll "loosen" up a bit. For all I know these guns could have been sitting in a drawer for the last couple of years.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:16   #19
freedom790

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrie View Post
Really appreciate you guys responding. Seems to me that some Berettas just do this to varying extents. I don't think at this point I'll take apart anything. I just got these two berettas and haven't shot them that much so maybe they'll "loosen" up a bit. For all I know these guns could have been sitting in a drawer for the last couple of years.
And this was my thought too, some will do it, some won't. As long as it doesn't get stuck in the intermediate area you should be ok. I'll check my partner's M9 when I go back to work and see if his does it too, I'll send you a PM if I find anything different.
Old 03-23-2012, 19:48   #20
Petrie

I was at a big gunstore today and I looked at two barely used 92fs Berettas and both of them did what mine do. So, I guess I'm not as concerned anymore. It's not like the lever can fall down out of fire postion or anything.