Home Forums Classifieds GT Store Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-10-2014, 19:03   #1
DLL9mm

New S&W 642

Just picked up a new 642 today. Yes it has the lock.
Shouldn't matter though. Took it to the range and fired approx. 35 rounds through it. I bought some Gold Dot 135gr+p Short barrel ammo for carry. Shoots great. Very accurate. It is a lot of fun to shoot and I look forward to shooting it some more this week. Anything else I should pick up for it? I already have some speed strips. IWB Holster recommendations?

The Snubbie Club

Last edited by DLL9mm; 11-11-2014 at 11:16..
DLL9mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 20:17   #2
DeLo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLL9mm View Post
Just picked up a new 642 today. Yes it has the lock.
Shouldn't matter though. Took it to the range and fired approx. 35 rounds through it. I bought some Gold Dot 135gr+p Short barrel ammo for carry. Shoots great. Very accurate. It is a lot of fun to shoot and I look forward to shooting it some more this week. Anything else I should pick up for it? I already have some speed strips. IWB Holster recommendations?
Galco professional
Old 11-10-2014, 20:33   #3
ViennaGambit

Get either a sticky holster or desantis nemesis for when you need to pocket carry.

They are wonderful and pocket carry has its place with the snubby.
Old 11-11-2014, 06:20   #4
DLL9mm

Does having the lock really matter? I hear so many negative things about the ILS on these guns. Has anyone here actually had their jframe lock up during firing? I had a chance to get the same gun without the lock, but this one was in better shape. This gun was made in 2014.
I am not shooting extra hot +P+ ammo. I will be carrying 135gr GdHP +p, which actually seem to shoot softer than the PMC target ammo I fired yesterday.

Last edited by DLL9mm; 11-11-2014 at 11:18..
Old 11-11-2014, 11:16   #5
DLL9mm

Pic added.
Old 11-11-2014, 11:27   #6
Berto
woo woo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLL9mm View Post
Does having the lock really matter? I hear so many negative things about the ILS on these guns. Has anyone here actually had their jframe lock up during firing? I had a chance to get the same gun without the lock, but this one was in better shape. This gun was made in 2014.
I am not shooting extra hot +P+ ammo. I will be carrying 135gr GdHP +p, which actually seem to shoot softer than the PMC target ammo I fired yesterday.
IMO, no. The issues did crop up with the ti/scandium super light guns but the 442/642s have had a good decade or so to vett out any issues. My 442 has one, it's never been an issue over 2k through it.
For holsters, I second the nemesis or Superfly pocket holster as you may discover the real beauty of these guns is pocket use. For IWB belt, I use a blade tech and it works great, despite my ambivalence toward kydex.
Maybe get a couple HKS 36 speedloaders, they aren't the fastest, but they are tough and work well enough for the throwaround life they will live in the pocket.
Old 11-12-2014, 06:20   #7
DLL9mm

Fired it some more last night and plan on shooting at again today. This time I bandaged my finger up first to avoid knuckle cutting which happens to me with small Smith revolvers.
Already have some speed strips, 36 speedloader, and an Uncle Mikes pocket holster. Now I just need more ammo.
ALSO...Tested the ILS to see how it works. It does work and freezes the trigger up when activated. Kinda loose in the frame, but I am not too concerned about self activation. I will keep shooting and see. I have been shooting as much hot 38spl as I can find.
This is the second 642 I have owned with the lock. This one will hopefully be shot weekly and carried often.

Last edited by DLL9mm; 11-12-2014 at 06:23..
Old 11-12-2014, 13:30   #8
jsm190

For a holster a few members suggested the Remora to me. I was skeptical at first but cheap enough to try so I bought one. After using it for a week I will say that I am impressed. Strong side at 4 o'clock it is very comfortable and disappears under a t-shirt. Stays where you put it.
Old 11-12-2014, 13:32   #9
eb07
Sharkin'

If the lock bothers you so much, a toothpick's head of super glue in it will lock it open forever.
eb07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 06:10   #10
DLL9mm

I know it will probably never fail, but reading all this silliness on the internet worried me. I have tested the lock a few times so I know what exactly it feels like when locked. I plan on shooting this gun a lot and it will probably only me carried sometimes. I cannot actually find any stories of a 642 failing due to the lock just other issues.
Either way, I really like shooting this gun. Very accurate one handed strong hand or weak hand only with whatever kind of ammo I put threw it. I did some night shooting with it last night. Lots of flash
I plan on getting a 340 next, which it almost double the price. I will try to find one without the lock. My LGS has 2 in stock but both have the lock.