Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-23-2012, 16:46   #1
ADK_40GLKr

Reciprocity with Vermont

I posted in General Firearms about walking into a VT gunstore and asking whether a New Yorker could legally carry in VT, and how we talked about the reciprocity act the Senate is considering.

What I had trouble with was trying to explain how Reciprocity would help a Vermonter in NY. I didn't do very well.

Thinking about it afterward, it occurred to me that a copy of Vermont gun law giving every otherwise legal citizen the right to carry in their own state would be the nearest thing to a CCW permit a Vermonter could produce.

But that would be sure to to get a Green Mountainer thrown in a NY jail until the courts could sort it out.

Any solutions?

(Yeah I know, it's all moot 'cause reciprocity won't pass or will be vetoed.)
Old 03-23-2012, 18:41   #2
EAJuggalo

Send a message via AIM to EAJuggalo Send a message via Yahoo to EAJuggalo

Get a non-res from one of the many states that offer them. I've been told that NH is very popular with VT residents for this purpose.
Updated 3-22-13
EAJuggalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 18:42   #3
kensteele

Any person today who wants to carry a firearm in any other state which is not a constitutional carry state or a prohibited state must present a valid permit which is recognised in the state in which they wish to carry. Generally.

"Show" the legal permit (if your [type] permit's state is on the Approved State List), carry the firearm according to the local laws.

The only real thing the National Carry bill does is increase most everyone's Approved State List to 49. Roughly.

I don't believe a copy of your state law will not work. You need an official permit. Get a permit from any other state in the nation that will give you one. Today, not all of them will work for you since some states do not accept other state's permits. Tomorrow (after the bills passes), any permit should work for you; with a few exceptions.

It is entirely possible that residents from states that do not issue a permit could be eventually left out of the whole National Reciprocity deal althogether when and if it is determined that you can't use a non-resident permit. But currently, that's NOT in this bill. I say "entirely possible" not because the Federal government has ill-intentions but because state governments with ill-intentions are already doing this. Take a peek at NM and find out what I'm saying.

That's my take on it. Technically VT can't establish reciprocity with another state so the intended impact on VT from National Reciprocity is n/a.

*Reciprocity used in the context of my post means officials from two or more state governments sign a legal agreement to honour the applicable laws of each other's state and allow permit holders (or state residents) to carry in each other's state.
kensteele is offline   Reply With Quote