Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-23-2012, 22:15   #1
chevy01234

State to State Carry Restrictions?

With my Enhanced Permit in Mississippi, I cannot carry in very few places. They are MHP station/Sheriff's Office/Police Dept, Jail/Correctional Facility, Courtroom Proceeding, Federal Buildings, and "Places of Nuisance"

I have had my enhanced permit since December and have often wondered what states have similar "restrictions" as our enhanced permit?

This is an "upgraded" permit of sorts, any other states have those?

Per HB 506 found here:
http://billstatus.ls.sta.../0500-0599/HB0506SG.pdf

A person licensed under Section 45-9-101 to carry a concealed pistol, who has voluntarily completed an instructional course in the safe handling and use of firearms offered by an instructor certified by a nationally recognized organization that customarily offers firearms training, or by any other organization approved by the Department of Public Safety, shall also be authorized to carry weapons in courthouses except in courtrooms during a judicial proceeding, and any location listed in subsection (13) of Section 45-9-101, except any place of nuisance as defined in Section 95-3-1, any police, sheriff or highway patrol station or any detention facility, prison or jail. The department shall promulgate rules and regulations allowing concealed pistol permit holders to obtain an endorsement on their permit indicating that they have completed the aforementioned course and have the authority to carry in these locations.

Places of nuisance as defined in Section 95-3-1 found here:
http://www.mscode.com/fr...tatutes/95/003/0001.htm

c. "Nuisance" shall mean any place as above defined in or upon which lewdness, assignation or prostitution is conducted, permitted, continued or exists or any other place as above defined in or upon which a controlled substance as defined in section 41-29-105, Mississippi Code of 1972, is unlawfully used, possessed, sold or delivered and the personal property and contents used in conducting or maintaining any such place for any such purpose. One single act of unlawful cohabitation, lewdness or possession, use, sale or delivery of a controlled substance about such property shall not come within the terms hereof.

With the "Regular" permit, you are restricted as follows:

http://www.dps.state.ms.us/dps/dps.n...w?OpenDocument
(13)
No license issued pursuant to this section shall authorize any person to carry a concealed pistol or revolver into any place of nuisance as defined in Section 95-3-1,Mississippi Code of 1972; any police, sheriff or highway patrol station; any detention facility, prison or jail; any courthouse; any courtroom, except that nothing in this section shall preclude a judge from carrying a concealed weapon or determining who will carry a concealed weapon in his courtroom; any polling place; any meeting place of the governing body of any governmental entity; any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof; any public park unless for the purpose of participating in any authorized firearms-related activity; any school, college or professional athletic event not related to firearms; any portion of an establishment, licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, that is primarily devoted to dispensing alcoholic beverages; any portion of an establishment in which beer or light wine is consumed on the premises, that is primarily devoted to such purpose; any elementary or secondary school facility; any junior college, community college, college or university facility unless for the purpose of participating in any authorized firearms-related activity; inside the passenger terminal of any airport, except that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal if the firearm is encased for shipment ,for purposes of checking such firearm as baggage to be lawfully transported on any aircraft; any church or other place of worship; or any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law. In addition to the places enumerated in this subsection, the carrying of a concealed pistol or revolver may be disallowed in anyplace in the discretion of the person or entity exercising control over the physical location of such place by the placing of a written notice clearly readable at a distance of not less than ten (10) feet that the "carrying of a pistol or revolver is prohibited." No license issued pursuant to this section shall authorize the participants in a parade or demonstration for which a permit is required to carry a concealed pistol or revolver.
chevy01234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 22:37   #2
HarleyGuy

What training requirements are required to obtain this enhanced license/permit?

Such a bill is being discussed in Michigan.

Currently, certain groups of people, retired cops, judges and P.I's can apply for an receive an "exempt" status on their CPL but not so for the average guy or woman.
HarleyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 22:44   #3
chevy01234

It was an 8hr + range time course on a Saturday.

NRA Basic Handgun + a couple hours on the actual laws was the classwork then we went to the range for a very basic 40 round shooting qualification.

It was not a super intensive course by any means. I enjoyed it and am looking forward to taking a few more classes in the near future. After the Qualifications at the range, the instructor set up some "fun stuff" for us to shoot as he is big into IPSC/USPSA.

I am interested to hear what Michigan comes up with! I was up there working for 2+ months last year!

Last edited by chevy01234; 03-23-2012 at 22:46..
Old 03-24-2012, 10:08   #4
chevy01234

Anyone else?
Old 03-24-2012, 11:00   #5
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Our permits here in Indiana have so few limitations, you'd really have to go to Constitutional carry to really improve our carry laws.
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 13:05   #6
chevy01234

What locations are off limits to carry in Indiana? Y'all can get them at 18 right?

Last edited by chevy01234; 03-24-2012 at 13:34..
Old 03-24-2012, 14:49   #7
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy01234 View Post
What locations are off limits to carry in Indiana? Y'all can get them at 18 right?
Yup.... Pretty much jails, prisons, courts, schools and airports.

The Good:
Solid state preemption law,
Signs have no force of law (you have to be asked to leave by the property owner/mgr.)
permits can be acquired at 18,
you have the option of either a 5yr permit for $35, or a Lifetime permit for $100
no training required
solid "Stand Your Ground" law,\
employers cannot prohibit guns in your vehicle on company property.
Even with our big city PD's, I've had almost 100% positive interactions w/ Officers when guns were involved (traffic stops, accidents, etc.).

The "Bad" (really only two I can think of):
No form of "permitless" carry. Here, a permit is required to conceal or open carry. Fortunately, our permits are very easy to get.

There's also no option for having a firearm in a vehicle
Technically, you need a permit to even transport a firearm after it's point of sale, unless it's to a place of repair (I've never heard of anyone getting ran up on this, but the law's wording is strange and there's been efforts to change it).

It's almost a gun owners utopia here in Indiana.

IGF
Old 03-24-2012, 16:49   #8
possum_128

"There's also no option for having a firearm in a vehicle
Technically, you need a permit to even transport a firearm after it's point of sale, unless it's to a place of repair (I've never heard of anyone getting ran up on this, but the law's wording is strange and there's been efforts to change it)."

Incorrect. This law was passed last year, see below.

IC 35-47-2-1
Carrying a handgun without a license or by a person convicted of domestic battery; exceptions
Sec. 1. (a) Except as provided in subsections (b) and (c) and section 2 of this chapter, a person shall not carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body without being licensed under this chapter to carry a handgun.
(b) Except as provided in subsection (c), a person may carry a handgun without being licensed under this chapter to carry a handgun if:
(1) the person carries the handgun on or about the person's body in or on property that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by the person;
(2) the person carries the handgun on or about the person's body while lawfully present in or on property that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by another person, if the person:
(A) has the consent of the owner, renter, lessor, or person who legally controls the property to have the handgun on the premises;
(B) is attending a firearms related event on the property, including a gun show, firearms expo, gun owner's club or convention, hunting club, shooting club, or training course; or
(C) the person is on the property to receive firearms related services, including the repair, maintenance, or modification of a firearm;
(3) the person carries the handgun in a vehicle that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by the person, if the handgun is:
(A) unloaded;
(B) not readily accessible; and
(C) secured in a case;
(4) the person carries the handgun while lawfully present in a vehicle that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by another person, if the handgun is:
(A) unloaded;
(C) secured in a case; or
(5) the person carries the handgun:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(A) at a shooting range (as defined in IC 14-22-31.5-3);
(B) while attending a firearms instructional course; or
(C) while engaged in a legal hunting activity.
possum_128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 16:57   #9
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by possum_128 View Post
"There's also no option for having a firearm in a vehicle
Technically, you need a permit to even transport a firearm after it's point of sale, unless it's to a place of repair (I've never heard of anyone getting ran up on this, but the law's wording is strange and there's been efforts to change it)."

Incorrect. This law was passed last year, see below.

IC 35-47-2-1
Carrying a handgun without a license or by a person convicted of domestic battery; exceptions
Sec. 1. (a) Except as provided in subsections (b) and (c) and section 2 of this chapter, a person shall not carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body without being licensed under this chapter to carry a handgun.
(b) Except as provided in subsection (c), a person may carry a handgun without being licensed under this chapter to carry a handgun if:
(1) the person carries the handgun on or about the person's body in or on property that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by the person;
(2) the person carries the handgun on or about the person's body while lawfully present in or on property that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by another person, if the person:
(A) has the consent of the owner, renter, lessor, or person who legally controls the property to have the handgun on the premises;
(B) is attending a firearms related event on the property, including a gun show, firearms expo, gun owner's club or convention, hunting club, shooting club, or training course; or
(C) the person is on the property to receive firearms related services, including the repair, maintenance, or modification of a firearm;
(3) the person carries the handgun in a vehicle that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by the person, if the handgun is:
(A) unloaded;
(C) secured in a case;
(4) the person carries the handgun while lawfully present in a vehicle that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by another person, if the handgun is:
(A) unloaded;
(C) secured in a case; or
(5) the person carries the handgun:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(A) at a shooting range (as defined in IC 14-22-31.5-3);
(B) while attending a firearms instructional course; or
(C) while engaged in a legal hunting activity.
I thought I remembered something about this passing, but couldn't find a reference. I thought I was just mistaken.

So from the sounds of it, so long as it is unloaded and in a case, it's fine (assuming you don't have a CCW).

Thanks!

Last edited by IndyGunFreak; 03-24-2012 at 16:58..
Old 03-24-2012, 17:50   #10
chevy01234

Nice! Got to love states that have good gun laws!
Old 03-25-2012, 19:41   #11
chevy01234

So is it safe to say, there are not many other states with "good" CCW laws like Mississippi? I mean, with the enhanced permit of course, there are very few places we are not allowed to carry?

I see all the time other states boasting their state has the best CCW laws?

(Yes this is an attempt to "bait" a response, come on folks! Appease my curiosity please)
Old 03-25-2012, 19:52   #12
glockurai

Florida is one of the best states for ccw IMO. Even though Stand Your Ground is being scrutinized because of the shooting in Sanford.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Old 03-25-2012, 20:05   #13
Louisville Glocker
Urban Redneck

Here is a great site that tells you the laws for each state, including updates : http://handgunlaw.us/

Enjoy.

p.s. I carry in Kentucky and Indiana, and fortunately the laws are similar. Courthouses, schools, daycare facilities are all banned from carrying. Police stations too. And alcohol establishments. (I don't drink, so haven't paid as much attention to that aspect, but I couldn't go hang at a place where alcohol is the main item sold). And the no guns signs don't make it illegal, it just means you could be subjected to trespass charge if the owner asks you to leave and you don't.

Anyway, check out the site before you go to a state.

Last edited by Louisville Glocker; 03-25-2012 at 20:07..
Louisville Glocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 20:26   #14
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post
Our permits here in Indiana have so few limitations, you'd really have to go to Constitutional carry to really improve our carry laws.
Right you are.

It's fantastic in Indiana.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 06:43   #15
rockapede

***disregard****

Last edited by rockapede; 03-26-2012 at 06:48..
rockapede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:46   #16
xmanhockey7

Is there no training in Mississippi already. It looks the to get the enhanced (maybe I read it wrong) you just need to do a basic NRA class. That's what required here (Michigan) to get the permit. Under the proposed law you have to take that class plus another NRA class to be exempt from the concealed pistol free zones. I'm wondering if more states start to do this sort of thing if they'll reciprocate the exemptions.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:57   #17
chevy01234

No formal training required for our "regular" permit. Mississippi is a shall issue state as well. To get the enhanced permit, you have to take a class.

I lived in Battle Creek last year for a couple months while I was working. I didn't get to Kzoo but a few times. We would go out to eat over there occasionally on the weekends and I got drug to "Angel's" one night for a co-workers birthday ha!

It sure would be nice if more states did enhanced permits and had reciprocity among themselves! I'm rooting for you Michiganders, hope y'all get the enhanced deal passed!
Old 03-26-2012, 10:45   #18
bear62

As far as I know Colorado doesn't have "enhanced" permits. All in all CO is a good gun state.........
bear62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:38   #19
RockyMtnG20
NRA Life Member

Send a message via AIM to RockyMtnG20
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear62 View Post
As far as I know Colorado doesn't have "enhanced" permits. All in all CO is a good gun state.........
http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite.../1251594549010

http://www.rmgo.org/gun-law-faqs

Don't quote me, but this is how I remember it:

-Colorado is a "Shall Issue" state.
-Open carry without a permit is allowed, but is complicated
-CCW is for pistols & revolvers only, all long guns must be unloaded when transported in cars or on any moving vehicles including ATV's & Snowmobiles. No hunting allowed from a snowmobile.
-No Enhanced Permits, you either have a permit to carry or not, law enforcement have separate provisions.
-21yrs of age to get CCW & 21 yrs reciprocal state permits
-CCW Requires classroom training & 50 round range session.
-In car, unloaded or loaded & ready to go is permitted even to Nonresidents & without a permit because it is considered an extension of your home and carrying in your car is not considered to be CCW.
-not permitted to conceal on person from car to residence, hotel room, etc.. without a permit.
-Signs posted at the door to a business are legal means to stop people from CCW'ing on their property. Very few do this.
-Legal to carry in a bar as long as you have zero alcohol in your system.
- A permit issued does not authorize a person to carry a concealed handgun into a place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law. but you can leave it in your locked car in the parking lot, (on school grounds anyway).
-

Last edited by RockyMtnG20; 04-04-2012 at 01:41..
RockyMtnG20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:52   #20
birdie

Actually for CO you don't require any range time, not something I agree with, I am an Instructor and in all our classes we include range time. But the law does allow you to attend a class without range time and it meets the CO training requirement.

www.sheepdogshield.com
birdie is offline   Reply With Quote