Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-24-2012, 18:30   #1
random southpaw

Chats With Enthusiasts Who Do Not Carry

Just this week, I have enjoyed two good chats with some folks who enjoy shooting. However, I was a bit surprised to learn that neither of them has gotten their permit to carry concealed.

With the surging growth in the number of people that are choosing to get their permit, this took me off guard.

I just wanted to ask if this is reflected in your experiences also, or if you are seeing more folks get their permits.
random southpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 18:45   #2
HKLovingIT
Resident Evil

I would think the majority of people who own guns do not have a permit.

Of those who do, it would be interesting to know those who carry always, sometimes, never, never carry but lie and say they always do, and those who are 5' 3", 145 lbs and appendix carry a G20 in just basketball shorts and a white t-shirt.

All kidding aside, I never ask people about it. I know a couple close friends that I shoot with who carry but otherwise, the first rule of fight club...

I will add that I did not originally intend to carry. I got my license because we have a law that you can only transport the unloaded handgun to and from the range, place of hunting or to and from a store or place of repair. Point A to Point B. I got my permit just so I wouldn't be in violation for stopping for a burger on the way back from shooting or any nonsense about my handgun not being far enough away from my ammo can in the cargo area. Later on I started to carry.

кто пукнул здесь?
Nescio, sed foetet.

Last edited by HKLovingIT; 03-24-2012 at 19:07..
HKLovingIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 18:58   #3
racer88
NRA & SAF mbr

I agree... I would bet most gun owners do not carry concealed... EVER. Of those that DO carry, I'd bet most do not carry full time, but rather "when they think they need to." Then there's the rest of us.
racer88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 19:11   #4
chevy01234

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer88 View Post
I agree... I would bet most gun owners do not carry concealed... EVER. Of those that DO carry, I'd bet most do not carry full time, but rather "when they think they need to." Then there's the rest of us.
That is what I have noticed with folks a lot down here too. I am one of those "full time" guys though! I don't have many places I can't carry legally under my permit, those places I avoid like the plague anyways! I haven't had to "disarm" during day to day life except once since December and that was to mail a package at the post office.
chevy01234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 19:14   #5
kensteele

I've been shooting gun at the range for a lot longer than I've CCW. And that includes most of my adult life. Never really crossed my mind while I enjoyed shooting at the range. It was probably after I stopped enjoying shooting at the local ranges.....

Last edited by kensteele; 03-24-2012 at 19:14..
kensteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 20:33   #6
HarleyGuy

As hard as it is for some of us to believe, some folks choose not to obtain a carry license and I support their right to choose 100%.
Let's face it, somefolks just don't want the responsibility that comes with carrying a firearm, and in some cases it definitely changes your lifestyle.
HarleyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 20:43   #7
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

In MN a permit to carry is also a permit to acquire (buy) a handgun.
A permit to acquire a handgun is only good for one year. A permit to carry is good for 5 years.

I know folks who get a permit to acquire a handgun every year, but have never considered getting a permit to carry.

I point out to them it's more cost effective to get a permit to carry as it's both good for 5 years and cheaper over 5 years than getting a permit to acquire every year.

Several have gotten carry permits based upon this advice.

I figure having more people with permits is a good thing, and there's more than one way to skin a cat.

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”

Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 20:46   #8
bigcountry31987

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKLovingIT View Post
I would think the majority of people who own guns do not have a permit.

Of those who do, it would be interesting to know those who carry always, sometimes, never, never carry but lie and say they always do, and those who are 5' 3", 145 lbs and appendix carry a G20 in just basketball shorts and a white t-shirt.

All kidding aside, I never ask people about it. I know a couple close friends that I shoot with who carry but otherwise, the first rule of fight club...

I will add that I did not originally intend to carry. I got my license because we have a law that you can only transport the unloaded handgun to and from the range, place of hunting or to and from a store or place of repair. Point A to Point B. I got my permit just so I wouldn't be in violation for stopping for a burger on the way back from shooting or any nonsense about my handgun not being far enough away from my ammo can in the cargo area. Later on I started to carry.
Sounds like Maryland laws.....if so how did you get your carry permit I hear its next to impossible to get one in Maryland

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Old 03-24-2012, 21:20   #9
HKLovingIT
Resident Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcountry31987 View Post
Sounds like Maryland laws.....if so how did you get your carry permit I hear its next to impossible to get one in Maryland

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

I don't live there.

I went to my local state rep's office. The sherrif has a deputy go there on certain nights to assist the citizens with getting their permit. I filled out the form, showed ID, he took my picture and my fees. Two weeks later he called and said I could drop by to pick it up.

We just have a couple annoying laws like the one I noted above.

кто пукнул здесь?
Nescio, sed foetet.

Last edited by HKLovingIT; 03-24-2012 at 21:22..
HKLovingIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:29   #10
Adjuster

I know handfuls of avid hunters with the best of the best firearms that don't have a permit to carry and would never even consider it.

/

/
Adjuster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:42   #11
slickt0mmy

My girlfriend loves shooting (and using up all my ammo!!) but she has no interest in carrying. I'm still working on her though.
slickt0mmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 12:57   #12
Brucev

Quote:
Originally Posted by random southpaw View Post
Just this week, I have enjoyed two good chats with some folks who enjoy shooting. However, I was a bit surprised to learn that neither of them has gotten their permit to carry concealed.

With the surging growth in the number of people that are choosing to get their permit, this took me off guard.

I just wanted to ask if this is reflected in your experiences also, or if you are seeing more folks get their permits.
I have owned and used a wide variety of firearms for over 30 years. I have not ever and do not now carry a cw. The current noise over cc is in my opinion hype pure and simple. For some, it simply reflects their own Chicken Little view of life. For some, it helps them deal with their "gadgetis." The vast majority who buy cc handguns do not have any training, etc. It would be surprising if they even continue to cc, once the new has worn off. For those who have a actual need to cc, more power to them. I'm glad the law support their cc. For those who simply want to, fine. Again, I am glad the law supports their cc. But those who cc comprise a very small portion of the total population of firearm owners and users. It should not then be surprising to discover that many many firearms enthusiast do not cc... and may not even keep a firearm loaded in their home.
Brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 15:05   #13
slickt0mmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucev View Post
I have owned and used a wide variety of firearms for over 30 years. I have not ever and do not now carry a cw. The current noise over cc is in my opinion hype pure and simple. For some, it simply reflects their own Chicken Little view of life. For some, it helps them deal with their "gadgetis." The vast majority who buy cc handguns do not have any training, etc. It would be surprising if they even continue to cc, once the new has worn off. For those who have a actual need to cc, more power to them. I'm glad the law support their cc. For those who simply want to, fine. Again, I am glad the law supports their cc. But those who cc comprise a very small portion of the total population of firearm owners and users. It should not then be surprising to discover that many many firearms enthusiast do not cc... and may not even keep a firearm loaded in their home.
Funny, some people thought seatbelts were all hype when they first came out too.
Old 03-25-2012, 15:49   #14
geoemery

I have a CCL but seldom CC. I live in a rural area/community that probably never had an attack outside a bar or domestic situation. I do have it for 3 reasons. The first is transporting firearms to and from the range. Secondly for hiking, especially on snowshoes. And finally when I'm in a position of having valuables (cash and guns) that others would know about.

I try to get to the range weekly so transporting guns is common. I hike and snowshoe in northern WI where they have wolf packs and bears. Since I'm on private property where they have been sighted frequently, precaution is prudent. The range I go to is a private club, which I'm at alone frequently. You are at the range closer to a larger town with firearms so I worry about being attacked for the guns. (maybe I'm paranoid).

I know several people who that are gun owners and see no need for a CCL. In WI, CCL does provides a few added benefits for the hunter. I'm surprised more have not applied.

Last edited by geoemery; 03-25-2012 at 15:51..
geoemery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 18:54   #15
SCmasterblaster

The only people who should carry defensive handguns are the ones who have studied the issues and technicalities thoroughly. We don't need raw rookies carrying handguns.
Old 03-25-2012, 18:59   #16
Z28ricer

Send a message via AIM to Z28ricer
Leave it at home sometimes ? I think not.

Hell I carry to and from the bathroom.
Z28ricer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 19:04   #17
H&K 4 LIFE
Leonum A Ignis

In Connecticut, the only reasonable way you can purchase a handgun (besides obtaining the pointless "eligibility certificate") is to posses a permit to carry.

As such, I know many people who have a permit, and own handguns/firearms which they shoot regularly... but they do not carry. Some of them conditionally, but the majority of them not at all.

While I always carry, I respect others decision to not do so. With carrying a handgun comes huge responsibilities and it is up to everyone to make their own individual choice about whether or not they are prepared to take that on.

Last edited by H&K 4 LIFE; 03-25-2012 at 19:05..
H&K 4 LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 19:05   #18
racer88
NRA & SAF mbr

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
The only people who should carry defensive handguns are the ones who have studied the issues and technicalities thoroughly. We don't need raw rookies carrying handguns.
Let's have some fun with this:

The only people who should VOTE are the ones who have studied the issues and technicalities thoroughly. We don't need raw rookies VOTING.

Other words suitable for substitution might include:

SPEAK FREELY

NOT BE SUBJECT TO UNLAWFUL SEARCH AND SEIZURE

and so on....

Last edited by racer88; 03-25-2012 at 19:08..
racer88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 19:07   #19
slickt0mmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
And who would you propose have the authority to decide whether you've studied enough or not?
Old 03-25-2012, 19:08   #20
A6Gator

I shoot competitively (IDPA, USPSA, Steel Challenge and IMGA 3 Gun) with a lot of guys who are absolutely amazing pistol shooters who never put a carry gun on when they leave the range and wouldn't even think about it. Some people have brown eyes, some people have blue eyes.

Sheep, sheepdogs...
A6Gator is offline   Reply With Quote