GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2012, 16:19   #1
SCmasterblaster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Hartford, Vermont
Posts: 15,846
New news in Trayvon Martin shooting

http://www.newsmax.com/US/trayvon-ma...mo_code=E854-1


It turns out that the shooting ws indeed self-defence, according to the witness and injuries.
__________________
Gun Ownership Offers Freedom in Many Dimensions

Last edited by SCmasterblaster; 03-26-2012 at 16:22..
SCmasterblaster is online now  
Old 03-26-2012, 16:45   #2
OctoberRust
Anti-Federalist
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,642
but he was unarmed. Think of the children.



....I think some people need to learn the definition of disparity of force. I'll bet this will still go to court now though. He will likely be found innocent (and rightfully so) if this witness is telling the truth.
OctoberRust is offline  
Old 03-26-2012, 16:50   #3
cphilip
Senior Member
 
cphilip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Clemson SC
Posts: 4,375
It appears someone in the Sanford PD leaked some of those facts that were already in evidence from earlier reports... but... it all is what we have heard early on.

Look like Mom is going to cash in on this though...

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documen...demarks-769123
__________________
www.cphilip.com
cphilip is offline  
Old 03-26-2012, 17:03   #4
cowboywannabe
you savvy?
 
cowboywannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: on a planet near you
Posts: 20,542
so, if, IF this witness' story is correct we have a stupidly acting president, stupid (and not acting) film producers and pimps who fleese gullable black folks threatening a man's life which will only lead to more black criminals being shot.

waitaminute, maybe thats the idea.

looks like the making of another tawanna brawley duke lacross team circus.
__________________
with Sarah Jane, Leela, Romana, Nyssa, and Tegan.

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...

Last edited by cowboywannabe; 03-26-2012 at 17:05..
cowboywannabe is offline  
Old 03-26-2012, 17:25   #5
cphilip
Senior Member
 
cphilip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Clemson SC
Posts: 4,375
We have race baiters who make their living off of stirring up controversy even where it isn't. The more outrageous the better for them. Problem is... there is racism and peoples rights getting trampled every day that go unchallenged and when these high profile cases fizzle, all the parties suffer and this allows this silent racism to persist. In fact it encourages and breeds it. Its a shame. But its the chance you take when you don't wait until all the facts are known and when you get involved emotionally in something you don't really know anything about.
__________________
www.cphilip.com
cphilip is offline  
Old 03-26-2012, 18:45   #6
cowboy1964
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 14,396
Has anyone tweeted Spike Lee's home address yet?
cowboy1964 is offline  
Old 03-26-2012, 18:45   #7
cowboy1964
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 14,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboywannabe View Post
so, if, IF this witness' story is correct we have a stupidly acting president
You'd think he would have learned after the last time he commented without knowing the facts.

I hope if and when the feds clear Zimmerman that Obama says something. I think he may have to if riots break out.

Last edited by cowboy1964; 03-26-2012 at 19:10..
cowboy1964 is offline  
Old 03-26-2012, 18:46   #8
xmanhockey7
Senior Member
 
xmanhockey7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Kalamazoo, Michigan
Posts: 1,318
Go figure to sides to a story.
__________________
My current avatar is the logo for my group Young Guns of Michigan. Check us out on Facebook!
xmanhockey7 is offline  
Old 03-26-2012, 19:18   #9
RedNine
AutomatedSystem
 
RedNine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 222
The outraged citizenry won't give a ****. They don't care about facts. They don't even care about all the other killings that are happening while this story is in the limelight.
RedNine is offline  
Old 03-26-2012, 19:29   #10
jb1911
Senior Member
 
jb1911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy1964 View Post
You'd think he would have learned after the last time he commented without knowing the facts.
Obama? Learned? That's a good one.
__________________
Chuck Norris wears Hickok45 pajamas

Black Rifle Club Member "LE6920Colt"
jb1911 is offline  
Old 03-26-2012, 20:12   #11
dosei
Senior Member
 
dosei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Upstate SC
Posts: 4,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
http://www.newsmax.com/US/trayvon-ma...mo_code=E854-1


It turns out that the shooting ws indeed self-defence, according to the witness and injuries.
Not exactly "New" news...this has been known since the day after the shooting...

http://www.myfoxorlando.com/dpp/news...od-altercation

(The article linked above was published on 2/27/12, the day after the shooting)
__________________
Big Dawg No. 1431
Carolina Glocker No. 1431
"Freedom is a system based on courage" (Charles Peguy)
"Know where the attack against you is likely to come, whether on the street or in court, and have a proven counter already in place" (Mas Ayoob)

Last edited by dosei; 03-26-2012 at 20:14..
dosei is offline  
Old 03-27-2012, 02:01   #12
ssharber
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 38
Just because he says he was attacked doesn't mean he had the right to take the guys life. He was told not to pursue this guy. I mean think about it. He could have easily pulled his pistol on this kid. Being confronted by someone with a pistol the guy may very well have been fighting for his life, therefore it doesn't mean Zimmerman is innocent. There's at least 2 sides to every story. Often there's more though.
ssharber is offline  
Old 03-27-2012, 02:32   #13
arushus
Biggest Member
 
arushus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NE Oklahoma
Posts: 2,565
I dont understand why people keep invoking the fact that he was told not to pursue by the 911 operator, as if he broke the law by not listening. He was told by some person who is trained to talk on the phone and type on the computer not to follow someone, big deal, just cuz they said not to, doesnt make it the right thing to do...
__________________
Glock 20SF Gen 3
Glock 27 NiB-X Gen 3
Glock 19 Gen 4
Spike's Tactical Enhanced CHF 16" Mid-Length M4
These Red Letters Help me find my post!!!
arushus is offline  
Old 03-27-2012, 03:15   #14
Longhammer
Senior Member
 
Longhammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 443
If in fact this was a justified shooting. It tells me that this kid Trayvon either thought he was bulletproof (like most kids under 25), or he wanted to be a martyr. A martyr or pawn acting in the name of lawlessness. I only mention the second possibility because of the polarized visibility of the case. I only hope our justice system sees fit to uphold the gunrights of the honest property owners in this country. I believe we are outnumbered now.
__________________
Believe Ten percent of what you hear, and Half of what you say.
Longhammer is offline  
Old 03-27-2012, 03:30   #15
series1811
CLM Number
Enforcerator.
 
series1811's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Retired, but not expired.
Posts: 14,311
Who here really thinks Zimmerman stopped this kid from committing a crime that night?

What do people here think would have happened if Zimmerman had done what the dispatcher said?

I still don't know the facts, but it is starting to look like a legal killing, that just didn't have to happen.

Two fools collided, and one got killed. That only happens about 1000 times a year in the US. If not for the race thing, it would just be a small byline in the paper.
__________________
I sure miss the country I grew up in.

Last edited by series1811; 03-27-2012 at 03:32..
series1811 is offline  
Old 03-27-2012, 03:41   #16
1911ES
Senior Member
 
1911ES's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 434
They need to put this thing to bed .... now. These loud-mouth protesters of cities that are located 2000 miles away, who out out marching around with signs and hooded sweatshirts, have nothing better to do ? Maybe they should start by cleaning up their own neihborhood streets ....

Oh ... since we're all here ........ the mail came yesterday. Two boxes of Ranger 124 gr. +P
__________________
- NRA Lifetime Member -
1911ES is offline  
Old 03-27-2012, 04:04   #17
SCmasterblaster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Hartford, Vermont
Posts: 15,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911ES View Post
They need to put this thing to bed .... now. These loud-mouth protesters of cities that are located 2000 miles away, who out out marching around with signs and hooded sweatshirts, have nothing better to do ? Maybe they should start by cleaning up their own neihborhood streets ....

Oh ... since we're all here ........ the mail came yesterday. Two boxes of Ranger 124 gr. +P
That sounds like some potent ammunition. I carry a G17 with WW +p+ 115gr JHPs.

__________________
Gun Ownership Offers Freedom in Many Dimensions
SCmasterblaster is online now  
Old 03-27-2012, 04:11   #18
Beretta92guy
Senior Member
 
Beretta92guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,547
about two years ago i had some drunk guy try to bust in my back door one night....

i had my gun in hand on the phone with 911....operator told me to put the gun down and wait for police.....told her until i see the police here my gun stays in my hand...

did i break the law???....cops on the scene had no problem with it....

question is, does a 911 operators commands carry any weight of law????

my guess is NO
Beretta92guy is offline  
Old 03-27-2012, 04:29   #19
Bren
NRA Life Member
 
Bren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 33,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboywannabe View Post
so, if, IF this witness' story is correct we have a stupidly acting president, stupid (and not acting) film producers and pimps who fleese gullable black folks threatening a man's life which will only lead to more black criminals being shot.

waitaminute, maybe thats the idea.

looks like the making of another tawanna brawley duke lacross team circus.
I have noticed that he keeps making personal phone calls to black people - only - who are complaining about the police and/or white people.
__________________
Open carry activists are to gun rights what the Westboro Baptist Church is to free speech.
Bren is offline  
Old 03-27-2012, 04:32   #20
ssharber
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by arushus View Post
I dont understand why people keep invoking the fact that he was told not to pursue by the 911 operator, as if he broke the law by not listening
Because as CCW holders, we must hold ourselves to a higher standard.

If a fight starts, try to walk away at all cost from it and eat your pride, because if you have the only gun in the fight, on moral grounds alone, you are required to use more DISCRETION than the other guy because ultimately, you have the option of LETHAL FORCE if certain criteria are met.

If he would have walked away and not pursued him, all this might not have happened. The police are the ones who should pursue someone, not an individual out trying to be the police. Thats why.

Also, 911 operators in most states are trained EMT's, some are even LEO's, not just someone typing on the computer and answering the phone.

Last edited by ssharber; 03-27-2012 at 04:34..
ssharber is offline  
Old 03-27-2012, 04:37   #21
c6601a
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: The Most Beautiful Part Of The USA
Posts: 3,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by arushus View Post
I dont understand why people keep invoking the fact that he was told not to pursue by the 911 operator, as if he broke the law by not listening.
Once ALL the facts come to light, the whole case is going to hinge on one issue: Whether Zimmerman's actions meet the "reasonable person" test. In other words, would a "reasonable person" faced with exactly the same situation do what Zimmerman did. This interaction with the 911 operator will hurt him in two ways.

Was his decision to get out of the safety of his vehicle and chase someone he described as suspicious and possibly high a reasonable one? In real time, a supposedly reasonable operator gave the opinion that it was not a good idea. Not only did Zimmerman come to a different conclusion, but did so despite being advised about what was reasonable.

Was his decision to shoot at the moment he decided to shoot reasonable? If one believes that only a few minutes ago Zimmerman did something unreasonable despite being told what the reasonable thing was, then one can believe that he used the same level of decision-making at the time of the shooting and his claim that he was justified can be dismissed.

Most people who are saying that the interaction with 911 operator was important feel this at a gut level but are unable to articulate it this way.
c6601a is offline  
Old 03-27-2012, 04:46   #22
rozz421
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 107
If it can be proven that he did in fact turn around and walk back to his car, I would think stand your ground would be his defense. I'm not justifying his decision to follow at first, but what if you did the same and then sense took over turned you around toward your car?
rozz421 is offline  
Old 03-27-2012, 04:52   #23
hardbargin
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy1964 View Post
Has anyone tweeted Spike Lee's home address yet?
what for? no whites are going to bother him. we donot have it in us anymore. it has been brainwashed out from the 60's.
hardbargin is offline  
Old 03-27-2012, 06:31   #24
cphilip
Senior Member
 
cphilip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Clemson SC
Posts: 4,375
I suggest you remove your racist hateful post hardbargin. Way out of line dude.
__________________
www.cphilip.com
cphilip is offline  
Old 03-27-2012, 06:42   #25
220-9er
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: North of Atl
Posts: 1,226


Quote:
Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
I suggest you remove your racist hateful post hardbargin. Way out of line dude.
+1. Losers like that make us all look bad by association.
220-9er is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:57.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,157
351 Members
806 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42