Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-27-2012, 20:29   #1
DaneA

Carry at work?

So I'm reading an employee handbook today and find this under the heading of "Prohibited Conduct"
"Possessing firearms or other weapons on company property, including parking lots, unless specifically permitted in accordance with state law."

So since I possess a HCP does that allow me "specifically permitted in accordance with state law"?

I seem to think so
DaneA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 20:51   #2
vafish

I'll bet it means whatever the boss wants it to mean.

If they want to make an issue out of it they will fire you for it.
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 20:57   #3
whitebread
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I think it means deep concealment.
whitebread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 21:38   #4
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaneA View Post
So I'm reading an employee handbook today and find this under the heading of "Prohibited Conduct"
"Possessing firearms or other weapons on company property, including parking lots, unless specifically permitted in accordance with state law."

So since I possess a HCP does that allow me "specifically permitted in accordance with state law"?

I seem to think so
Sounds like an HCP is what you need.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 22:06   #5
CarryTexas

It might mean that in states like TX and OK a company can't prohibit you from having a gun in your car while parked on company property.
CarryTexas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:56   #6
beatcop

Likely their intent means security guards....that will be their position at the labor board hearing when you are appealing being terminated.
beatcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:36   #7
EAJuggalo

Send a message via AIM to EAJuggalo Send a message via Yahoo to EAJuggalo

Unless your state has an exemption in either it's carry law or labor law I would expect that you would be fired, and your unemployment would probably be denied if you were caught carrying on the clock. There are a large number of states that won't allow employers to ban firearms from parking lots, that would be "specifically permitted."
Updated 3-22-13
EAJuggalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:54   #8
Bill Lumberg
BTF Inventor

Odd wording. Permits aren't generally seen as "lawful purposes" or "IAWSL" in statutory or policy applications (except on the internet). But some states require employers to allow employees to store firearms in their vehicles with proper permits. I could see this specific wording referencing that. Do you live in such a state? Ultimately, it's up to the interpretation and intent of your employer. Ask if you want to be legit.
Quote:

I seem to think so
Old 03-28-2012, 07:20   #9
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Quote:
"Possessing firearms or other weapons on company property, including parking lots, unless specifically permitted in accordance with state law." So since I possess a HCP does that allow me "specifically permitted in accordance with state law"? I seem to think so
The statement, 'Prohibited Conduct: Possessing firearms or other weapons on company property, including parking lots, unless specifically permitted in accordance with state law.' is a contradiction in terms. The author's intent is too ambiguous for another person to accurately identify.

Now, my wife's personnel handbook clearly stated, 'No firearms are allowed on company property.' - Period. She was really upset when she was forced to stop carrying; but, her two dialectically opposite choices were obvious. She decided to stop carrying during the week; and I quickly noticed that once the Ruger began to be left home ...... well, it tended to stay there.

This is when I started to hear sage remarks like, 'What do I need my gun for?' 'I've got you!' Guess she forgot that I wasn't there for, both, the attempted carjacking and very bloody store robbery that she subsequently became involved in. The ironic part? Her boss is an NRA Lifer who owns a large and expensive gun collection.
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:32   #10
Chuche2

Dane, The Tn Senate is going to vote on the "Parking Lot Bill" very soon. It will pass and anyone with a HCP will be allowed to keep their guns locked in the car.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Chuche2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:46   #11
LibertyPatriot

My work just last week updated our "Weapons Policy". I'm sure it has to do with insurance as we already had something similar in the handbook to what was posted earlier. We also had to sign a receipt of the policy.

Quote:
Weapons Policy

“Company” desires to have all associates work in a safe and secure environment.

Therefore, “Company” strictly prohibits firearms, concealed or otherwise, or any other type of weapon in their possession on all “Company” premises, including “Company” buildings and parking lots, as well as on customer property. Firearms and weapons are also prohibited from all “Company” functions and events, regardless of where they are held. Weapons include, but are not limited to, ammunition of any kind, knives (other than small pocket knives), explosives, and/or any other objects that could be used to harass, intimidate, or injure another individual.

This policy applies to all associates, regardless of whether they have a “concealed carry” endorsement.

If an associate determines or has reason to believe that someone is in violation of this policy, the associate is to notify management immediately. Violators of this policy will be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including termination.
Quote:
RECEIPT & ACKNOWLEDGEMENT OF “Company's” WEAPONS POLICY

Please read the following statements and sign below to acknowledge your receipt of the “Company” Weapons Policy.

• I have received and read a copy of the “Company” Weapons Policy.

• I understand that this policy is subject to change at the sole discretion of “Company” at any time.

• I understand that should the contents of this policy be changed in any way, “Company” may require an additional signature from me to indicate that I am aware of and understand any new policies.

• I understand that my signature below indicates that I have read and understand the above statements and have received a copy of the “Company” Weapons Policy.

_____________________________​_______________________
Associate Signature​Date

______________________________​ ​________________________
Manager’s Signature​Date

Old 03-28-2012, 09:07   #12
jastroud

Yep, we have a policy here at work as well, the Workplace Violence Prevention policy. Rediculous to say the least. I work at a Credit Union, that has had 5 branches robbed in the 5 years I have been here, 3 of those one branch. It irks me to no end to drive to work, take my 26 and CTAC off, leave it in the car, and put it back on when I go out. The only workplace violence we have is thugs coming in waving guns around and demanding money and they don't give a damn about our policy. In fact, if someone here snapped and went postal, the policy wouldn't do diddly squat to prevent them from coming back and shooting up the place, it would just negate my right to defend ME!!!

If you ask me, policy is the dirtiest word in the English language.

------------------—-------------------
slap happy pappy
G1 Niner #1993

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
jastroud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:08   #13
Lior
GUNS=FREEDOM

Translation: get a SmartCarry
Rust and bureaucrats. Freedom and vigilance. Front sight and trigger. Kindness and firepower. Situational awareness and tolerance. Safety and concealment. Taxes and allegiance. Love of man and surgical marksmanship. Once a soldier, always a soldier.
Lior is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:34   #14
md2lgyk

I have no idea what my employer's "official" policy is in this regard. I work in Maryland so it's irrelevant anyway.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:18   #15
John Rambo
Raven

Carry a gun. Don't tell anyone about it. If you end up using it or someone spots it, 'permitted' or not, put in your 2 weeks notice before they get a chance to fire you. Because you are getting fired.

Thats just how it is.
John Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:34   #16
jpa
CLM Number 268
Charter Lifetime Member

Send a message via AIM to jpa Send a message via Yahoo to jpa
The policy allows weapons when specifically permitted by state law. You were issued your PERMIT by the state, right? Sounds like you are literally "permitted" by state law.
Big Dawg #1408, TT #1408
Moto Club #1408, GSSF Member, NRA RSO
NRA Benefactor Member
jpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:40   #17
ponders

there is NOTHING in my policy that says i cant carry at work.. not a single word! so i carry and its privatly owned company so its legal.

i wonder if they could fire someone if it WASNT in the handbook????
ponders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 13:08   #18
MarcDW
MDW Guns

Don't ask, don't tell anyone if you carry and it does not state anything in the corp. policy.
If you ask it will have most likely two effects:
1. They wake up and will add it in most cases.
2. You will be always looked at someone who "wants to bring a gun to work".
So you are not a good little sheep and you bite back >>>> bad employee / liability.

In most cases the wonderful insurance industry is to blame.
They would not be liable for employees being shot by some criminal or murderer, but if the employee shoots such a person in self defense, they would have to pay.

Oh; when asking for the policy, have a good excuse!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
for current inventory

Last edited by MarcDW; 03-28-2012 at 13:09..
MarcDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 14:48   #19
dosei

Quote:

I seem to think so
But what matters is...Does the Company think so...

Best to check with the HR person at the company.
"Know where the attack against you is likely to come, whether on the street or in court, and have a proven counter already in place" (Mas Ayoob)
dosei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 19:56   #20
Glockworks
Ready/Aim/Fire

Employer bans you from carrying even though you have a CCW license. Ok, then IF a mad person kills you and the employer did not have armed security on site, can your family sue the employer. I mean, the employer stripped you of your second amendment rights and at the same time not doing the reasonable alternative and hire armed security guards?
Glockworks is offline   Reply With Quote