Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-28-2012, 16:23   #1
flynnstone

Blocked and Guarded Roadways?

I've heard from several reliable sources within LE and the National Guard, that should some sort of major event take place, the major roadways out of the cities will be blocked and guarded within 90 minutes. Supposedly, routine exercises are held to meet this timeline.

Anyone else heard of this?
flynnstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 16:26   #2
Dexters

What did the reliable source say when you asked him/her as to why they would want to do that?
Old 03-28-2012, 16:35   #3
flynnstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexters View Post
What did the reliable source say when you asked him/her as to why they would want to do that?
In order to keep the general population controlled within specific areas, and so that militia/other groups cannot form outside of the cities.
Old 03-28-2012, 16:35   #4
bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynnstone View Post
I've heard from several reliable sources within LE and the National Guard, that should some sort of major event take place, the major roadways out of the cities will be blocked and guarded within 90 minutes. Supposedly, routine exercises are held to meet this timeline.

Where are they going to get the manpower in a event like that?

Even a small city like Akron Ohio near my home would be a nightmare to close off all the major roads in and out of it....

It would likely take the entire APD shift that on duty to pull that off and i am willing to bet they will be busy with other things.
Old 03-28-2012, 16:44   #5
Dexters

Quote:
In order to keep the general population controlled within specific areas,
That is what closing the roadways would do, it isn't the why. Why would they want to do it?

Quote:
and so that militia/other groups cannot form outside of the cities.
Is the above the only purpose you were given by your sources?

Last edited by Dexters; 03-28-2012 at 16:45..
Dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 16:45   #6
cyrsequipment
Angry

You need better sources. That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Do you have any idea how many roads go in and out of even the tiniest city. It would take an entire army to secure one town, and then they would ignore any city around it.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Old 03-28-2012, 16:52   #7
smokeross
GTDS Member #49

I'm going to dig up the road to my 'compound' with heavy equipment to keep those guys OUT.
Old 03-28-2012, 16:52   #8
flynnstone

I didnt sit down and question all of the reasons why this would be done, i'm simply passing along what ive heard and asked if anyone else has heard of this.

Sure, those who are prepared can plan alternate routes out of town, but the majority of people in this country are not prepared.

Use Phoenix AZ as an example. Those who are trying to get out of town are going to leverage 4-5 of the most widely driven highways, not the unpaved roads.
Old 03-28-2012, 17:06   #9
Dexters

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrsequipment View Post
You need better sources. That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Do you have any idea how many roads go in and out of even the tiniest city. It would take an entire army to secure one town, and then they would ignore any city around it.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Let's give Flynnstone a chance. We might be able to learn something from him.

Have you ever seen the movie 'The Crazies'? Rumor has it that it is based on a true event that happened in the '40's or 50s. The government did surround that town. Reliable sources say it happened in Florida somewhere between Exit 193 (Yeehaw Junction) to Exit 242 (Kissimmee/St.Cloud) on the Fla. Turnpike, it is 48.9 miles between exits - the longest stretch of highway between exists in the USA!
Old 03-28-2012, 17:07   #10
SFCSMITH(RET)

Lets take the Atlanta metro area..

Over 5.5 MILLION people, in an area the size of Delaware.. with THOUSANDS of roads in and out..

To effectively operate 1 roadblock in a metro area, you need 3 squads, or about 21 troops and equipment. So lets just say.. 3000 roads. I am sure it's way more than that.. but we will use that.. So that's 63,000 troops pulling roadblock duty and those guys and gals all need logistic support.. That runs about 3 troops per deployed troop..

Or 189,000 additional troops So we have 250k troops holding things down in Atlanta..

How big is our armed forces?

And we have how many cities???

Last edited by SFCSMITH(RET); 03-28-2012 at 17:07..
SFCSMITH(RET) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 17:08   #11
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:

Define major event?

If I were a betting person, when they say major event they are talking about an Oklahoma City bombing event. Where they have some clue as to who they want to capture.

The idea of bottling up even a small city would be nearly impossible and generally stupid. Lets assume that there is an NBC attack, are the police equipped to stand their ground? No. Will they want to protect their families? Yes.

Trust me, it ain't gonna happen for an NBC attack. Now a terrorist bombing.....yea...and they will be doing amber alerts.
Old 03-28-2012, 17:11   #12
Dexters

Quote:
I didnt sit down and question all of the reasons why this would be done, i'm simply passing along what ive heard and asked if anyone else has heard of this.
I can understand that with the first source. But, I think after thinking about it you would ask the next of the 'several' sources you spoke with.

What did they tell you - don't hold back - we can handle it.
Old 03-28-2012, 18:00   #13
Sam Spade
Lifetime Membership

Quote:

Either your leg has been pulled or they're on crack.

First, ask yourself if you've ever seen one of these exercises around any major city you're familiar with.

Second, I can't even get a local SWAT team out of their jammies and into briefing on a callout in under 2 hours. Recalling a roster of NG troops (who have regular jobs, and may live some distance from the flagpole), equipping them, briefing them and deploying them from the armories to encircle (insert city of your choice) in 90 minutes? It is to laugh. Compare to the 82nd Airborne's Ready Brigade, which takes 18 hours to go wheels-up, with their stuff already packaged and their troops on standby with no outside commitments.

But anyway, you can now recalibrate your "reliable" list.
"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle

Last edited by Sam Spade; 03-28-2012 at 19:59..
Sam Spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 18:19   #14
beatcop

Can't say that I have heard from either source. There are diversion plans in the event of Nuke reactor issues, etc, but nothing of which you speak. I suspect you will need new pants...one leg has been pulled.
beatcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 18:23   #15
bdcochran

you can now recalibrate your "reliable" list

A big plus one.
bdcochran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 19:50   #16
dissthis
Gun Fan

And where would they set up the road blocks? At the city limit? Using the Atl example above; since I live just outside of Atl....would they keep everyone contained in the city? The further out they would need expentaly more people.

If they kept the people that live in the city there and let the people that work there and live in the burs out that would be ok by me!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

dissthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 19:53   #17
cowboy1964

Depends on the situation. No one thinks the Gov has plans drawn up to seal off an area in the event of a biological, chemical, or nuclear event, for example? Of course they do.

"90 minutes" is debateable though. Too many variables to make such an exact statement.

Last edited by cowboy1964; 03-28-2012 at 19:54..
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 19:54   #18
78tsubaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeross View Post
I'm going to dig up the road to my 'compound' with heavy equipment to keep those guys OUT.
yup, already thought about this too.
78tsubaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 19:55   #19
4Rules

"It's true; I saw it on TV!"

Quote:

Well, it was a movie, actually. A movie called: The Next Three Days.
Survival/Preparedness Forum
It stars Russell_Crowe and Elizabeth_Banks.

4Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 22:09   #20
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Very doubtful they can contain Los Angeles... with all the roads and freeways. They might get some roads and major thoroughfares but the cities are so close, where do you draw the line?
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote