Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:23   #1
OSUJEEPER

Interaction with Police

If you are involved in an incident how do you interact with the 911 operators and the first responding police officers?

Lets say the incident is one of two scenario's

1. You are forced to defend yourself. You shoot until the threat has stopped. The person may/may not not be dead. What do you tell the 911 operator? What do you do/say once LEO's arrive on the scene.(I know you put your weapon away ASAP. I would just holster it. Don't make any fast movements and keep hands in view.)

2. You pull your weapon but do not have to fire. The person gives up, lays down on the ground. You have him at gun point.
Again, what do you say to the 911 operator so you don't get shot upon arrival of LEO's. What do you say to the LEO's once they arrive.

1/2A. Also What if by chance first responders are medical personnel?

Would this be a good topic to post up in the "GATE" forum?

I'm new to carrying and new to the forum. Just trying to plan ahead and get an mental picture of the events in case something like this comes to pass.

Thanks in advance for the responses.

Last edited by OSUJEEPER; 03-29-2012 at 07:40..
OSUJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:31   #2
ThinkMud

-Semper Fi
ThinkMud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:45   #3
EAJuggalo

Send a message via AIM to EAJuggalo Send a message via Yahoo to EAJuggalo

In situation 1, you tell them you were involved in a self defense shooting and need LE and Medical. Give them your location and then hang up and call your lawyer, you should have the card of a good firearms lawyer in your wallet at all times. You say nothing until you talk to your lawyer.

In situation 2, give the dispatchers the relevant info, including that you're holding the perpetrator at gunpoint and be prepared to put the weapon down as soon as LE rolls up. In most areas, medical will not arrive to a call involving a gun or shots fired until LE arrives and clears the scene.
Updated 3-22-13
EAJuggalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:22   #4
aviator0402

Old 03-29-2012, 09:25   #5
xmanhockey7

Situation 1: There has been a shooting. I need medical and police. I'm located at.......... When the police arrive I'd suggest saying you are too shaken up to give a statement.

Situation 2: Say you're in fear for your life and the person you are fearing you have at gun point.

That's just me
Old 03-29-2012, 09:35   #6
beatcop

A couple different schools of thought will be posted...maybe. This has been flogged to a bloody pulp here. You can prob search some threads for sage advice. Go read a few Massad Ayoob books and study up...people will be along any minute with the youtube link for 'don't talk to the police"...watch it, some good advice...at least at the "awareness" level.

If you are in a cut-n-dry scenario, obvious to a blind man, you should be all set. If your wife's ex is dead on the front lawn, you may want to speak to a lawyer first.

I've responded to a few calls involving folks invoking self defense...things usually become clear after a brief interview with the victim, however you need to be 100% sure of the statutes in your area.

This is a vast topic...do not take advice on the internet.
beatcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 02:09   #7
DAIadvisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatcop View Post
...do not take advice on the internet.
Just as I was about to say "Don't report it" :(
DAIadvisor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:27   #8
OSUJEEPER

Thank you for the replies so far.

The internet can be a great tool for information. If that Info is weighed and sorted with a little intelligence and common sense. I have been doing a lot of reading lately (MA's Guide to Concealed Carry, Lessons from an armed America,Into the Kill Zone. I have ordered MA's The Gravest Extreme) It seems the Topic is not covered in much detail.(Becides to say"Shut up and speak to a lawyer") I can see my choice of words here having a large impact on the events following the incident. Especially to the 911 operator. That conversation can be played at a trial if there is one and be made available to the public.

Regardless I would like to hear from more people, especially those LEO's out there and if there are any 911 operators on here that would be helpful as well.

Thanks
OSUJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:37   #9
Bill Lumberg
BTF Inventor

More time planning how to get away safely or avoid a shooting situation entirely is time better spent. That said, if you can't get away or resolve using 911 rather than a firearm, that firearm needs to be on the ground when the police arrive.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:07   #10
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUJEEPER View Post
Thank you for the replies so far.

Regardless I would like to hear from more people, especially those LEO's out there and if there are any 911 operators on here that would be helpful as well.

Thanks
To get more participation from a broader range of law enforcement professionals, I started a similar thread in Cop Talk.

Interaction With Police - From a Law Enforcement Perspective

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921

Last edited by RussP; 03-30-2012 at 07:08..
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote