Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-29-2012, 21:00   #1
Lampshade

Crank Radios and Face Masks...

Hey guys, looking for some recommendations for a basic crank radio and recommendations on what kind of respirators to put in a bug out bag.

Will any n-95 mask do?
Lampshade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 21:43   #2
bdcochran

"N95 masks, on the other hand, were 56% effective against lab-confirmed respiratory viral infections and 75% protective against confirmed influenza. The fitted N95 masks didn't appear to provide more protection than unfitted N95 masks."

Etón Scorpion

Pros
The device can hold a charge for up to two hours with only a few minutes of cranking.

Cons
The solar panel is big, but it takes several hours to fully charge the device.
The Verdict

This emergency crank radio has everything you will need to keep informed.
bdcochran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 22:06   #3
Bolster
Not Ready Yet!

I didn't know those stats regards the N95 face masks BD posted above, that's sobering. N95s by 3M are my favorite disposable "respirators," particularly those with the exhale valve. I don't consider them real respirators, even tho they're called that, but I keep them in the GHB for a 9/11 event where there's dust in the air.

For high protection reusable respirators, check out the 3M 6000 series half facepiece. They're the most comfortable (and easy to service) P100 style respirators I've found.

Sold at Home Depot, Lowe's and elsewhere.

Be sure you store your reusable respirator (or at least the filters) in a ziplock bag when not in use. Otherwise the charcoal in the filters is working constantly, when not needed, and your cartridges will need changing long before necessary.

Last edited by Bolster; 03-29-2012 at 22:12..
Bolster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 23:25   #4
G29Reload
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolster View Post
I don't consider them real respirators, even tho they're called that, but I keep them in the GHB for a 9/11 event where there's dust in the air.
There's a number of reasons why you should have some on hand.

One of the needs would be for a post nuke explosion. This fortunately a remote possibility, but launch vehicles are getting into the hands of our enemies all the time…NK and Iran are the biggest worry.

If you are more than 5 miles from a detonation, you will likely survive, the question is, how well?

Radiation does not just float in the air. It emanates from something, like irradiated rubble or fallout.

1 piece of radiated fallout particulate that would fit on the head of a pin can kill you. If inhaled into the lungs, it could settle into a lobe and cause a fatal case of lung cancer in relatively short order. That's why if you ever see stock footage of gov or military folks surveying test sites in the aftermath, they're wearing gas masks. You need to protect airways till its safe to emerge from what ever basement or shelter you survive(d) in. And probably for a decent interval afterward.

Even an N-95 can mitigate this type of danger. The more protection, the better.

Post nuke
9/11 type rubble
pandemic/flu outbreak
destruction post-earthquake rubble/dust

etc.

I would get some N-100s for home and car, though they're not cheap. N-95s cover a lot of ground.

Last edited by G29Reload; 03-29-2012 at 23:28..
G29Reload is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 01:13   #5
Raiden
C&R Fun!

I've tested the ReadiMask - a disposable mask with visor, that adheres around the face to create a good seal. I tested it out with one of the fogging style bear sprays, and it actually worked well. After about ten minutes, I started to get a little bit of it seeping through the mask, where it was concentrated, making my lips and the tip of my nose (making contact with the mask) burn. As well, everything around the mask burned like hades... But, it did a good job protecting my eyes, throat and lungs from a modest blast of spray. In a real situation, I'd do everything in my power to avoid exposure as quickly as possible, instead of soaking in it. They were a little pricy, like $6 or so bucks a pop if you shop around, but a good deal since they seems to work well.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:30   #6
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

Grundig.'08.

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 23:39   #7
Devans0

I keep neoprene masks with chemical cartridges in both half and full masks. A factory close by has had a few oopsies and had chem releases that caused evacuations.
It's a lot like concealed carry, by the time you get help from the police, the damage is done. Masks come in handy for other home jobs, too. I occasionally get into some heavy clean up that needs personal protection equipment. If in doubt, I wear my masks (PPE).
Devans0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:08   #8
Ruble Noon
"Cracker"

The efficiency of a mask is dependent on the fitment to ones face. A poor fitting mask offers little protection. For men, facial hair is also an issue. If you sport a beard or goatee, be aware that this will reduce the efficiency of the mask that you are using.
Ruble Noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:12   #9
Protus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirgi08 View Post
Grundig.'08.
im not to keen on the fr200 grundig i own. it wont even pick up local FM channels. Its to sensitive or not enough. I want to replace it with a different model or a digital tuner .
Ive owned it since around 03-04' and use it a lot, but cant stand not getting in a any good SW channels(BBC etc ) ( i pick up plenty of non English channels though LOL )

as to filter for a BOB i'd go with a good n95 or P100 . If you got room or want better a fitted half mask with pn100 will do better and full mask will out perform that( with the correct filters) Kind of that progression of 22..38.....308...one could kill a deer,,one can kill a deer and one will kill a deer LOL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Protus; 04-01-2012 at 08:14..
Protus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:21   #10
Kingarthurhk
Isaiah 53:4-9

I had a crank radio. It died and did not want to come back even with a battery back up. Nothing is a sure thing.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:33   #11
R_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruble Noon View Post
The efficiency of a mask is dependent on the fitment to ones face. A poor fitting mask offers little protection. For men, facial hair is also an issue. If you sport a beard or goatee, be aware that this will reduce the efficiency of the mask that you are using.
THIS!

Way back when I had to be fitted (and re-tested every year) for masks for my work--anyone who had a beard had to shave. We had 8-10 choices between different brands and sizes to try to get a good fit. They were nice to us and used banana oil instead of pepper spray. But you knew when a mask didn't fit within a breath or two (It doesn't take long to screw up). The new masks with silicone gaskets are better, but still not a guaranteed fit.
R_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:16   #12
jason10mm
NRA-GOA-TSRA

Oh, I wish I had a copy of the little story they make us read to test the fit of N95 masks. Something about a leprechaun and a pot o'gold, IIRC :P

The idea is to make your jaw move around a lot to test for a good deal. So if you do test it don't just keep a straight face. Talk, yell, cry, sneeze, etc.
jason10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:20   #13
Booker

Many crank radios still need batteries! They tend to use cordless phone style units that are charged when turning the crank.

If you can find one, BayGen made a really good crank unit that uses the mechanical energy of a wound spring to power the unit!
Booker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:44   #14
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 15:54   #15
thetoastmaster
NOT a sheepdog!

Send a message via ICQ to thetoastmaster Send a message via AIM to thetoastmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_W View Post
THIS!

Way back when I had to be fitted (and re-tested every year) for masks for my work--anyone who had a beard had to shave. We had 8-10 choices between different brands and sizes to try to get a good fit. They were nice to us and used banana oil instead of pepper spray. But you knew when a mask didn't fit within a breath or two (It doesn't take long to screw up). The new masks with silicone gaskets are better, but still not a guaranteed fit.
Getting fit-tested the first time was a sobering experience. It turned out the my face is much narrower than I had anticipated; and the large-sized masks I had stockpiled for myself were no good. To say a poorly-fitted mask does no better than a properly-fitted one is pure hogwash. If you think fitting doesn't matter, ask the nurses at your loal health department what they use when exposed to active tuberculosis disease (a real life SHTF event for the infected). They'll set you straight.
And skill is more important than either,
The final weapon is the brain.
All else is supplemental.

- John Steinbeck

2+2≠4!
thetoastmaster is offline   Reply With Quote