GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2012, 13:39   #1
Jfduece
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 126
Canned sweetened condensed milk for longterm storage

A while back I saw somehwere on the net that canned sweetened condensed milk would be a great prep food. It was also noted that since its canned that the shelf life should be "indefinite", as with most other canned foods, when properly canned and stored.

I recently I tried using my google fu to confirm this, but alas it failed me this time.

Does anyone else have thoughts on this for longterm storage? It should be like any other canned food right? maybe some breakdown in taste, color, texture, and nutritional value, but nothing unsafe about it?

One 12 oz can has 1300 calories too!!!!!!!!!

I know someone may pipe in with a powdered milk recomendation so I should go ahead and make this note now: In general I try to stay away from any food that requires water for rehydration. Water is a scarace resource where I live so I am counting on most of my stored water for drinking. I have mostly canned "wet" foods with the exception of some rice.

Thanks for everyones help.

PS: I am on the early part of my learning curve but i know most of the basics about food storage, so lets leave that for another thread (there are plenty out there and I've read lots of them).
Jfduece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 15:30   #2
Bolster
Not Ready Yet!
 
Bolster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: State of Stupidity
Posts: 1,106
According to Bradley's Handbook 2nd ed, canned condensed milk has a shelf life of 1 year, and powdered nonfat for 6 months. (page 47)

According to Bradley's, your longest shelf-life basics are:
Cocoa
Corn Syrup
Canned Fish
Molasses
Pasta
White Rice
Granulated Sugar

The Urban Survival site lists “11 Foods That Last Forever”:

Corn starch
Corn syrup
Hard liquor
Hardtack
Honey
Salt
Soy sauce
Sugar
Vanilla extract
White Rice
White Vinegar.
__________________
From the "...land of the regulated, and the home of the entitled."
Obama is the symptom, not the cause.

Last edited by Bolster; 03-30-2012 at 15:48..
Bolster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 15:32   #3
Unistat
Senior Member
 
Unistat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SE Michigan, near Detroit
Posts: 1,407
We keep a combo of condensed milk & powdered milk on hand. I've read that the condensed milk will eventually thicken and turn a caramel color, but that it is still ok to eat. The change is apparently due to a chemical reaction between the sugar and the protein in the milk.
__________________
There are basically two kinds of people in this world. Those that believe in the Moon Landing and those that don't.
Unistat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 16:53   #4
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.
 
kirgi08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Acme proving grounds.
Posts: 28,053
Blog Entries: 1


We store cases of evaporated milk.it stores well and has a ton of uses.'08.
__________________
I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 17:25   #5
cowboy1964
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 15,254
I don't think I would trust cans of condensed milk to keep for 5 or 10 years like most prepping foods. Hopefully you can rotate stock.

http://shelflifeadvice.com/dairy/milk/special-types

Last edited by cowboy1964; 03-30-2012 at 17:28..
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 17:29   #6
Donn57
Just me
 
Donn57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sunny Florida
Posts: 1,066


Quote:
Originally Posted by kirgi08 View Post
We store cases of evaporated milk.it stores well and has a ton of uses.'08.
We also store evaporated milk. It does have lots of uses as it is essentially just milk with about half the water removed. I'm not sure what sweetened condensed milk is used for, but I know it has lots of sugar added to it which is why the calorie count is so high.
Donn57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 20:32   #7
R_W
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,366
The sweetened condensed SHOULD last longer--that was why they added the sugar in the first place, to preserve it like jelly (or honey). I found a couple cans in the corner of the pantry that missed rotation, they were fine long after the date-YMMV.
R_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 21:18   #8
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.
 
kirgi08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Acme proving grounds.
Posts: 28,053
Blog Entries: 1


I've said it before "dates" on cans are suggestions.I had a can of Lucks pintos and beans dated 04 tonight for dinner with polska kiebalsa.Good ta go.'08.
__________________
I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 22:45   #9
G29Reload
Tread Lightly
 
G29Reload's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 12,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirgi08 View Post
I've said it before "dates" on cans are suggestions.I had a can of Lucks pintos and beans dated 04 tonight for dinner with polska kiebalsa.Good ta go.'08.
NO.

Not this time!

Almost anything else, YES.

But not evaporated milk.

I will never buy canned evaporated milk again. Does spoil too easy.

WAAAAAYYyyyyyyyyyyyyy much more success with powedered milk. Much easier to store, long LONG term. Less intense rotation demand, very satisfied.

The canned stuff just doesnt cut the mustard for long term.

Had too many cans spoil on me far earlier than expected. Problems, AVOID.

Powdered milk mo betta. Really.

And that comment above about canned lasting a year and powdered 6 months?

Just the opposite. Only better, I had a +2 year date on powdered milk fresh off the supermarket shelf. I've had canned milk go nasty in less than a year.

I think the powdered remains relatively inert as long as moisture doesn't get to it to activate it. I'd still turn it over, but a year or two no problem, I will use as backfill when I run short on fresh moo juice.

Last edited by G29Reload; 03-30-2012 at 22:49..
G29Reload is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 00:00   #10
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.
 
kirgi08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Acme proving grounds.
Posts: 28,053
Blog Entries: 1


With respect,your wrong.I just used a can of evap milk from 89.Quality of storage is key.Cool and dry is the the mantra.Used it for coffee,had a few guests and no probs.We do stock powdered milk,it requires water.Canned milk don't.

BTW folks,we got a deep 3 version well that provides all the water we need.Why the hell would we add an requirement ta stress it more.We use evap for baking/coffee/mac and cheese..'08.
__________________
I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:11   #11
Jfduece
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 126
interesting mix of responses here. pretty much represents the cross section of what i found out on the net.

a couple of key points. I am talking about sweetened condensed milk, not evaporated milk. there are key differences between the two products. also, i am talking about food safety, not taste.

based on what I have read the minimum recommended shelf life seems to be 1-2 years. I am thinking I should be good to go for at least 5 years, maybe 10. I am not planning on enormous stockpiles or anything, so i guess i will give it a shot and check back in in 5 years!
Jfduece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:17   #12
Jfduece
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by G29Reload View Post
NO.

Not this time!

Almost anything else, YES.

But not evaporated milk.

I will never buy canned evaporated milk again. Does spoil too easy.

WAAAAAYYyyyyyyyyyyyyy much more success with powedered milk. Much easier to store, long LONG term. Less intense rotation demand, very satisfied.

The canned stuff just doesnt cut the mustard for long term.

Had too many cans spoil on me far earlier than expected. Problems, AVOID.

Powdered milk mo betta. Really.

And that comment above about canned lasting a year and powdered 6 months?

Just the opposite. Only better, I had a +2 year date on powdered milk fresh off the supermarket shelf. I've had canned milk go nasty in less than a year.

I think the powdered remains relatively inert as long as moisture doesn't get to it to activate it. I'd still turn it over, but a year or two no problem, I will use as backfill when I run short on fresh moo juice.
how did you know it spoiled? did you get sick? did it really spoil or did it just look different and taste a little different? I am really trying to distinguish between spoilage and other changes in the product so please let me know what you mean here.

Also, the sugar in sweetened condensed milk should make the shelf life longer than evaporated milk. Just saying....

Last edited by Jfduece; 03-31-2012 at 09:22..
Jfduece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:42   #13
G29Reload
Tread Lightly
 
G29Reload's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 12,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirgi08 View Post
With respect,your wrong.I just used a can of evap milk from 89.Quality of storage is key.Cool and dry is the the mantra.
Nope. Practical experience. Several times. Done with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirgi08 View Post
BTW folks,we got a deep 3 version well that provides all the water we need.Why the hell would we add an requirement ta stress it more.
First, if you 've got 3 deep wells that provide all you need, it doesnt sound like a can of water is gonna stress it too much.
I mean, if an extra can of water is gonna "stress" your wells, you might have other problems.

Storing wetpack anything is actually pretty inefficient. I keep it in for conventional use purposes and as a starting point. The real muscle in endurance should be my dry stores. powdered milk comports well with that.
G29Reload is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:45   #14
G29Reload
Tread Lightly
 
G29Reload's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 12,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfduece View Post
how did you know it spoiled? did you get sick? did it really spoil or did it just look different and taste a little different? I am really trying to distinguish between spoilage and other changes in the product so please let me know what you mean here.

Also, the sugar in sweetened condensed milk should make the shelf life longer than evaporated milk. Just saying....
Nasty, putrid, almost vomit inducing like real spoiled milk.

Not sure whether it was sweetened. Carnation brand, I believe.

Powdered is so much easier to handle an also more space efficient. More of it, for longer.
G29Reload is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 12:04   #15
Ronaldo
Ancient Member
 
Ronaldo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Free Republic of Tejas
Posts: 1,393
G29, maybe it just a bit of lactose intelorance due to the richness? Even if the flavor is 'off' it can still be used for breadmaking and it other recipes.

Ronaldo
__________________
'That which does not kill us, makes us stronger' - Nietzche

'Blood and Chocolate - in the dark, you can't tell the difference'

Last edited by Ronaldo; 03-31-2012 at 12:04..
Ronaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 12:27   #16
smokeross
GTDS Member #49
 
smokeross's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Alaska
Posts: 4,338
My experience with evaporated milk is similar to G29's. Don't buy it any longer.
__________________
Originally Posted by GTFor died instantly because his lungs froze from breathing in Arctic air.
Shoot Low Boys, They're Riding Shetland Ponies.
smokeross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 16:43   #17
Bolster
Not Ready Yet!
 
Bolster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: State of Stupidity
Posts: 1,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldo View Post
G29, maybe it just a bit of lactose intelorance due to the richness?
"Nasty, putrid, and vomit inducing" seems to indicate we're a bit beyond lactose intolerance...that sounds like genuine spoilt milk to me.

I'm still puzzled as to why dried nonfat milk gets an expiry date of 6 months...why? It's dry, what's to go bad? (I see it gets up to 2 yrs at shelflifeadvice, maybe the source is just wrong.)
__________________
From the "...land of the regulated, and the home of the entitled."
Obama is the symptom, not the cause.

Last edited by Bolster; 03-31-2012 at 16:46..
Bolster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 16:51   #18
Unistat
Senior Member
 
Unistat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SE Michigan, near Detroit
Posts: 1,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeross View Post
My experience with evaporated milk is similar to G29's. Don't buy it any longer.
We need to be very clear about if we're talking about condensed milk vs. sweetened evaporated milk. Two totally different things.
__________________
There are basically two kinds of people in this world. Those that believe in the Moon Landing and those that don't.
Unistat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 17:14   #19
R_W
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolster View Post
"Nasty, putrid, and vomit inducing" seems to indicate we're a bit beyond lactose intolerance...that sounds like genuine spoilt milk to me.

I'm still puzzled as to why dried nonfat milk gets an expiry date of 6 months...why? It's dry, what's to go bad? (I see it gets up to 2 yrs at shelflifeadvice, maybe the source is just wrong.)
Not stored oxygen-free.

Even LDS pantry #10 cans don't have long life. Milk is the perfect growing medium, not quite perfect w/o the fat, but still really easy to grow bad stuff.
R_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 23:15   #20
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.
 
kirgi08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Acme proving grounds.
Posts: 28,053
Blog Entries: 1


I'll guess will havta agree ta disagree.'08.
__________________
I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 00:23.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 614
155 Members
459 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31